Okay I have seen many threads with the same concern I am about to mention but those statements are usually buried within a thread pertaining to a new app so I though I would start a thread to specifically address the developers need to access our devices private information.

Many of us have downloaded some of the new apps that are popping up in blackberry world and after installing the app is requesting permission to access the phones GPS, Files, PIN number and Serial number, videos and pictures , contacts etc....

Now I understand if the app needs to use the GPS in order to perform its duties or If the app is for enhancing photos it will need access to the pictures folder and camera. But why the heck does it need to access these other features the phone. To me it looks like it is up to no good and mining for information.

Now the app does say you can always go to the device settings and and change the Security permissions. BUT when I go there to do just that I am not able to toggle off the permissions wish to give them access to.

So I am asking any developers out there if they can explain the reason you need access to these parts of the phone? And to the members here if I am missing something in being able to control the security settings, and there really is a way to toggle them on and off.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.
    Ecm likes this.
    02-24-13 07:17 PM
    Could be any number of legitimate reasons. If it's an interface app like one of the LED colour changers, then it needs access to all sorts of stuff to be able to perform properly. Access to files could be for anything and it's only given access to the shared files area.

There are also a number of less...honourable...uses for the information. It could be data mining like you suggested and could also be for collecting anonymous user data. Neither of which help you in any way. Generally when I develop an app, I give reasons why each permission is required. If a developer doesn't give you a good reason, you should probably question whether you're willing to give access to that information or not.
    craigs likes this.
    02-24-13 07:33 PM
    I have always wondered this as well and usually delete those that want this info. I wish BlackBerry world showed which permissions are needed as I wouldn't waste time downloading them in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    vjvj likes this.
    02-25-13 01:56 AM