I see many people walking away from the Z10 at stores because they can't actually use the phone. Grrr

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 12:55 PM
    here's a hint someone at an Ontario retailer showed me:

hold in the middle key on the volume toggle, put in the password "instoredemo" and voila - unlocks the demo mode
    R Field likes this.
    02-25-13 01:19 PM
    Great,I wish all employees knew this

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 01:50 PM
    Also you could just hold the voice assistance and swipe out of it to use the phone. I showed people how to do it at a Bell and Rogers store. Even the employee was confused and asked how I did it.
    02-25-13 02:34 PM
    This is not working here in Cali. I cant get the damn thing to go away from demo screen to change settings. I tried calling my "BlackBerry" rep to find out anything as well. If anyone knows a password to work it I would appreciate it.
    03-23-13 02:25 PM
    You shouldn't have to type in a code or know a secret button push and swipe. I tweeted @Blackberry when I walked out of the store yesterday that the Demo software was unacceptable. The phone is unusable. If the sales associate hadn't found a Z10 that one of the employees was using, I might not have bought the phone.
    03-23-13 02:28 PM
    Angry? Really? It's a phone. Certainly not worth that level of emotion. ??
    03-23-13 05:48 PM
    I agree...
    03-23-13 05:53 PM
    Wow.. chill pill

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 06:53 PM
    Hey everybody, just swipe down when in demo mode and turn it off. I turned 2 off at FS the other day. I believe the option was in the top right corner after swiping down. This takes you out of demo mode but still restricts you from changing any settings that can screw up the phone. Pass the word on and get all those phones out of demo mode!

Posted via CB10
    Mic_JP likes this.
    03-23-13 07:05 PM
    Can't if the store has assigned a password. I have already played with mine and tested demo mode.
    03-23-13 07:08 PM
    So you swiped down and hit "Demo Mode" to turn it off? I remember typing a password with no luck somewhere else in the phone first.......

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 07:10 PM
    The employees didn't even know about that.........

Posted via CB10
    lion164 likes this.
    03-23-13 07:12 PM
    Or just press the button on the screen that says "Explore Device." It minimizes the demo and lets you use the phone.
    03-23-13 07:38 PM
    Or just press the button on the screen that says "Explore Device." It minimizes the demo and lets you use the phone.
    That's what I did and it worked....took me a minute as I tried the others first....funny as store staff kept watching me and they had a few customers in the store....I was also rather impressed as it was next to the Big Counter in the back with a lot of traffic....I LOVE this smartphone and OS
    03-23-13 08:36 PM
    There should be an option from the demo mode screen to try the phone. When I selected that option I ws able to use the phone s normal, but could not access certain aspects such as BBM because they required a password.

Also the reps at the store may not be all that knowledgable, but the one I ran into sure sounded enthused about the device. At one store because the demo unit was charging an employee handed me his personal z10 to use.
    03-23-13 09:35 PM
    I see many people walking away from the Z10 at stores because they can't actually use the phone. Grrr
    That was me just 20 minutes ago at a corporate VZW store. Guy had no idea what the password was, and I wasn't going to buy until I saw with my own eyes that you can, in fact, turn LTE off. They said yes, but I need to see it for myself. He didn't believe that a Galaxy had that option turned off and it required some 3rd party program to disable it without jumping through hoops in engineering mode. I wonder if that can even be done on the Z10?

That'd have been great to unlock it myself. I already had to tell him to swipe down from the top to get to settings (I had never touched one before today). It's too far to go back, and now I am at work again anyway. Grrrr.
    03-28-13 04:06 PM
    Demo mode is annoying. I get that it's there to show people the big features of BB10, but it is also very important for the customer to be able to use it like they would, so they can imagine themselves using it in their everyday life. Demo mode doesn't let customers do anything, and it's basically like a glorified Set Up video that we got when we powered on our Z10s for the first time.
    03-28-13 04:11 PM
    I just swiped down and it had the option to exit demo mode when I was at AT&T getting a quick fix. They didn't have a password to take it out of demo mode so it was easy
    This is exactly what I did at the store. It worked no problem and I didn't need a password at all. Also was at AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 04:34 PM
    They should have half on demo mode (better version) and half off demo mode so people can try out whatever.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    03-28-13 04:43 PM
    I went back to that store today, armed with my new password knowledge, and was still unable to access settings. I am just trying to see if LTE can be toggled of or not. Employees say "I don't know" or "yes"... but I strongly suspect no.

Anyway -- that password doesn't work. I tried with different cases etc. Exiting the demo is fine. You can mess with the phone in general, but yea. no dice looking in settings, and they claim they don't know the password. Even if I say we won't change anything at all. "In fact you can do it, and I'll tell you what I want to see." Nope. Not even with a credit card in my hand, along with a brand new z10 pouch and brand new 64GB microSD card.

Obviously I am was to buy; maybe they really don't know the password. :/
    03-29-13 06:57 PM
    I went back to that store today, armed with my new password knowledge, and was still unable to access settings. I am just trying to see if LTE can be toggled of or not. Employees say "I don't know" or "yes"... but I strongly suspect no.
    I haven't had a chance to see it on a Verizon Z10 yet, but I do know that AT&T disables the ability to switch between mobile network modes. I don't know about the Verizon version, but on pure-GSM devices, it's based on the SIM card. If I pop an AT&T SIM card into my unlocked Canadian Z10, it disables those options. When I pop my Rogers SIM card back in, the options reappear.

I agree, though, the in-store demo lockdown is a mistake. The app was different at T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon, though. The T-Mobile and Verizon versions of the demo app allowed you to exit the demo and explore the device (but you couldn't enter Settings directly). The AT&T version would not allow you to exit the demo at all without a password.
    eninrebmun likes this.
    03-29-13 07:29 PM
    You can actually I use it. You do have to swipe down from the top and hit the close demo mode button but it is possible. I make a point of doing this whenever I see it.
    03-29-13 07:49 PM
    It is a double edged sword. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The problem without a demo mode is that people have no idea how to navigate the phone. I always laugh when my friends struggle to even turn on the device the first time they have seen it. The demo mode is meant to let people learn about the different features on the Z10, but I think it was done very poorly, the demi mode is very confusing. The first time I tried it, I thought the phone was lagging.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 07:56 PM
    The T-Mobile and Verizon versions of the demo app allowed you to exit the demo and explore the device (but you couldn't enter Settings directly).
    This was exactly how it was at Verizon. It was nice to actually play around on the phone anyway. Waiting so long, and reading so much I just automatically knew where to go for everything. ;-)

Beautiful interface.
    03-29-13 10:16 PM