I am concerned if it is possible for our OS10 to contain a defragmentation tool or if it is already in-cooperated and if it is necessary.

I have found that I now have to delete applications for make space for updates and though I have moved all my pictures, videos, docs over to my SD card, well any item I can safely move and I am still not getting the space back I am in need of for updates.

The applications I have are for study and work and I really don't do games with my BB10.

Anyone with any ideas concerning this, please let me know.

Z10 Jtv
    02-08-14 07:06 AM
    Are you saying that you no longer have storage room on your Z10?
    Go to Settings/App Manager/Device Manager and choose the storage tab.
    Post a picture of that here and maybe someone can help you. There has to be a reason why things are taking up room.

I have 40 apps on my phone and I still have memory and plenty of space.
    jtv1 likes this.
    02-08-14 07:14 AM
    I haven't read for awhile now but I have read that these drive don't need to be defragmented like drives with moving parts.
    jtv1 likes this.
    02-08-14 07:28 AM
    I haven't read for awhile now but I have read that these drive don't need to be defragmented like drives with moving parts.
    Right, and because flash memory has only a limited number of read and write cycles, defragmenting it could only shorten its life.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    kbz1960 and app_Developer like this.
    02-08-14 07:39 AM
    Jaydee5799

Thanks for the directions, I'll send what pics I can when I get on the PC, but as you know, here in the UK; it's Saturday night and it'll have to be tomorrow evening UK time.

I was thinking like the OS may act like PC when deleting items, they maybe hanging somewhere in the phone and need clearing out, like disk cleaning and a defrag

Z10 Jtv
    02-08-14 05:55 PM
    I do know that filesystems for Unix/Linux systems have no real need for defragging (specifically ext* for Linux/HFS+ for Mac OS), so I assume the QNX filesystem works the same way.
    jtv1 likes this.
    02-08-14 05:59 PM
    Defrag is useful for spinning hard drives only, it serves no purpose on solid state storage.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 and meltbox360 like this.
    02-08-14 06:04 PM
    I have the picture here but after App Manager
    Defragmentation of BBOS10-img_00001207.png

I also have a pic of my storage, but there's no option to
    change my storage from my device to my SD card and that's
    another worry I have been having.but her is the pic of my storage.
    Defragmentation of BBOS10-img_00001208.png

Is it ok to send my application storage to my SD Card instead.
    I have not only uninstalled apps, I've also deleted many and I now have 148
    and I could not update my last update.
    02-08-14 06:33 PM
    The problem here is leftover app data (if you tap Device Storage Details, you should see Other Data through the roof). You can only put your media and documents on the SD card, no app data.

To clean it out, you should move whatever you can off of device memory, back up and do a security wipe.
    jtv1 and zephyr613 like this.
    02-08-14 06:40 PM
    Dear thurask

Thank you for such a divisive choice, because I have a bit of space on my SD, I have decided to move about 2.30G from my device, which I hope will give me enough space for now, everything else I had moved earlier in the week.
    I will let you all know how my BBOS10 is fairing late tomorrow evening.
    02-08-14 07:36 PM
    I seem to have a problem where my z10 only has 13gb of device space

STL100-4, .1925 OS, .1926 radio
    02-08-14 07:51 PM
    I had just over 100 and was experiencing the same issue. I got it fixed by deleting almost all the games and apps I seldom use on a daily basis. Since all my apps are readily available in My BlackBerry World if there is a need for anyone of them at some point, I pick them up from there and most rimes the updated version too. That saved all my headaches. Also there are some apps which automatically send pics to my phone involuntarily to wit Soccerticker. Don't know why that happens but it uses up storage space too so every now and then I get into my pics and delete all of those from that said app. My phone is like a lean machine as a result of this fix which works for me.

Swiping & tapping on my amazing ZeeTen. STL 100-3 10.2.1.1925
    02-08-14 08:40 PM
    You don't need to defrag an ssd, without googling I'm pretty sure the built in controller for the ssd's garage collection takes care of it

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 10:32 PM
    I actually have defragmented all of my solid state drives. I've yet to hear of any dying from excessive read/write calls, so I don't really care. I didn't notice any difference, was just curious what would happen.

If you are curious about the longevity of good flash memory, read this:

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 11:41 PM
    Not that fragmentation is needed but if you insist simply do a full backup (apps,settings and media). Wipe the device. Then restore.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 06:03 AM
    Dear thurask

Thank you for such a divisive choice, because I have a bit of space on my SD, I have decided to move about 2.30G from my device, which I hope will give me enough space for now, everything else I had moved earlier in the week.
    I will let you all know how my BBOS10 is fairing late tomorrow evening.
    Go to camera setting page, by swiping down from the top of camera app and clicking setting button, make sure the first item on the top is turned on.

Defragmentation of BBOS10-img_20140209_234706.png

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    02-09-14 10:01 AM
    Defraging the drive -- however -- would not yield the kind of space you're looking for. Unless it's done as a wipe.
    02-09-14 10:18 AM
    Defragmentation of a ssd or of flash storage will NOT yield any benefits and will only decrease lifespan for two big reasons.

First spinning hard drives are defragmented to ensure that data is contiguous on the spinning disc. This allows the head of the drive to read an entire file without lifting or having to seek for other parts of the file. Seek times on spinning disks are significant so a heavily fragmented hard drive can be many times slower than a defragmented one. On the other hand a ssd has very, very low seek times. In fact it's so insignificant that putting the data all next to each other makes no difference. In a spinning disk you have to wait until the physical part of the disk is under the head, in a ssd you plop in an address and it plops out data (more or less).

The second reason defragmentation does nothing is ssd drives have wear level algorithms which prevent you from really knowing what real memory location you are writing to. The SSD will ensure every nand cell gets roughly the same number of writes to prevent the ssd from dying early or getting many bad blocks. Essentially this means that the ssd controller abstracts the hardware level details from you. This is why ssd data recovery is also quite difficult. With a hard drive you can potentially make a franken drive which will work well enough to read the data once. With a ssd even if you managed to replace a fried controller the ssd would no longer be able to read the data.

No good can come of a defrag on flash storage. Maybe if you triggered automatic garbage collection the drive might speed up a bit but that happens over time even without a defrag.

Posted via CB10
    ronfc and kbz1960 like this.
    02-09-14 11:41 AM
    Defraging the drive -- however -- would not yield the kind of space you're looking for. Unless it's done as a wipe.
    Unless I'm overlooking something I'm pretty sure a defrag frees no space at all. It just moves data around.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 11:42 AM
    I seem to have a problem where my z10 only has 13gb of device space

STL100-4, .1925 OS, .1926 radio
    The OS is using the rest of the space.
    02-10-14 10:08 AM
    Unless I'm overlooking something I'm pretty sure a defrag frees no space at all. It just moves data around.

Posted via CB10
    You're right -- sometimes the "reorganization" will free up a miniscule amount of space. But it's tiny and not even sure it's usable.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-10-14 10:50 AM