As the title says it.

NOT JUST saying. PRAYING.
    11-03-12 07:23 AM
    The 4470 appears to be matching up with Tegra3 and even S4 chips pretty well. Their is no reason to use an S4 in a phone that doesn't have LTE right now IMHO because of demand for the chip, higher chip costs, etc. I actually hope T-Mo USA carries the London as it should be a little cheaper and T-Mo won't have their LTE network up for a while, and HSPA works great for me. UK might get and S4 for the EE network, but any non-LTE market is going to be getting an OMAP based London. Personally I'd rather not see an S4 used in LTE markets, I'd rather see OMAP5.
    Last edited by lnichols; 11-03-12 at 05:13 PM.
    mithrazor likes this.
    11-03-12 08:41 AM
    ok, i dont really get all this stuff

but i live in germany, and even tho we europeans don't have such an amazing network as you guys over there in the US, can i expect the BB 10 to be a fully capable LTE device, here in germany? Oo
    or will the european L-Series get this OMAP 4470, and therefore LTE wont be possible, or how does it work?

sorry, no clue
    i was hoping that i could use the London with tmobiles LTE's network, 800Mhz and 1800 Mhz : (
    hmn when i'm looking at the rumored specs it does have 1800Mhz, but not 800, only 850Mhz : (
    11-03-12 08:54 AM
    Germany has commercial LTE networks so you would expect all their carriers to get an LTE-capable handset, beyond that we will probably see a greater variation depending on carrier rollout plans for LTE networks, any that are a year or more away are not going to want to pay extra for a useless additional radio.
    11-03-12 03:17 PM
    i doubt the OMAP 4470 has the battery efficiency of the S4 chipset, weather it has LTE or doesn't once the carriers establish its network for LE why do what RIM and apple have done in the past and not offered it as a pre emtpive strike so the consumer doesn't have to go out in a few months an buy another phone, why force them to have to purchase a new device and second guess what they want.

you can say samsung did the same with the S3 but the fact that the none LTE is a 1.4 GHz quadcore will probably make consumers second guess the LTE because of the specs they see for it
    11-04-12 02:09 AM
    Actually once you take LTE out of the equation (other chipsets need the extra radio) then the S4 has little if any benefits on battery life, but beyond that, the crucial factor will be cost because every cent will count when deciding whether or not a phone is viable in a particular market and choosing a cheaper chipset that performs just as well in all aspects is a big help in that area as seen from the fact that outside NA plenty of companies have released products with the cheaper Tegra 3 chipset when they have not needed to include LTE in their handset.
    11-06-12 02:36 PM
    I think RIM has said that they need to bring out LTE devices?
    That being said: I don't know how useful LTE will be to me. Bell still hasn't turned on LTE in my city (but a tiny town 50KM away got it )
    11-07-12 12:07 AM
    I think RIM has said that they need to bring out LTE devices?
    That being said: I don't know how useful LTE will be to me. Bell still hasn't turned on LTE in my city (but a tiny town 50KM away got it )
    Yes the US definitely needs LTE for AT&T, Sprint and Verizon, and soon T-Mobile in their new offerings. Carriers have built and are investing in those networks and want them used and loaded up as quickly as possible, and will push devices that accomplish that goal. UK and some parts of Europe are in the infancy of LTE rollout and they need options there too because they too will be wanting to load up those new networks. The majority of the rest of the world where RIM has seen most growth, won't have LTE for likely a couple of years (some countries are just now freeing up the spectrum). So the London is the all touch device for those places and should be cheaper than the LTE versions of the phone because the processor should be cheaper. It shouldn't really a lower end device performance wise, but a cheaper device because S4 used in the LTE is more expensive and in much higher demand right now and uses a more complicated manufacturing process. I'd still prefer to see OMAP5 in the higher end devices over S4.
    mithrazor likes this.
    11-07-12 06:28 AM
    The US does NOT NEED LTE for the same reasons you state. That is marketing brainwashing you. AT&T, Sprint and Verizon just have so many users on their networks they've become congested. They NEED LTE for bandwidth allocation of those users & business with specific APN preference ... not the speeds.

Do you really think streaming a 480/720/1080p video on your smartphone you require LTE or that you'd really notice a difference?! Seriously ... latency would affect performance more than just simply another 20-30Mbps vs HSPA+ (or DC-HSPA+). On your laptop ... using LTE vs HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ streaming the same 1080P video meant for the desktop (different codec MPEG2 vs H264 for smartphone) you would notice a difference ... just keep in mind you only have about 2-4hrs to enjoy that LTE speed before your battery if finally and fully dead.

OMAP5 ... show me one smartphone application in development or released for a smartphone or a tablet that can use that much power! I'm waiting .... still waiting?!
    - until developers can actually CODE new applications with content sourced directly ON the smartphone or laptop itself ... all that processing power in an A15x Cortex based cpu will goto waste, not even games at current design - even PS3/XBox games require that ... only its imbedded gpu would be challenged.
    11-11-12 11:57 AM
    The US does NOT NEED LTE for the same reasons you state. That is marketing brainwashing you. AT&T, Sprint and Verizon just have so many users on their networks they've become congested. They NEED LTE for bandwidth allocation of those users & business with specific APN preference ... not the speeds.

Do you really think streaming a 480/720/1080p video on your smartphone you require LTE or that you'd really notice a difference?! Seriously ... latency would affect performance more than just simply another 20-30Mbps vs HSPA+ (or DC-HSPA+). On your laptop ... using LTE vs HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ streaming the same 1080P video meant for the desktop (different codec MPEG2 vs H264 for smartphone) you would notice a difference ... just keep in mind you only have about 2-4hrs to enjoy that LTE speed before your battery if finally and fully dead.

OMAP5 ... show me one smartphone application in development or released for a smartphone or a tablet that can use that much power! I'm waiting .... still waiting?!
    - until developers can actually CODE new applications with content sourced directly ON the smartphone or laptop itself ... all that processing power in an A15x Cortex based cpu will goto waste, not even games at current design - even PS3/XBox games require that ... only its imbedded gpu would be challenged.
    I'm not brainwashed, I'd be fine with HSPA+ since I'm on T-Mobile. I didn't say LTE was needed for speed, I said it was needed because that is what carriers are pushing. They are investing Billions of dollars in these new LTE networks, and want them used and loaded up as quick as possible to get ROI. T-Mobile and AT&T have fast HSPA+ networks without LTE, but Sprint and Verizon do not so they are going to push LTE harder and why Verizon has the largest LTE network in the US. RIM needs to provide phones that carriers will try to sell, and in the US that is LTE.
    11-11-12 04:56 PM
    As the title says it.

NOT JUST saying. PRAYING.
    agreed.

it would be a terrible wasted opportunity if the BBOS10 line didn't standardise on OpenGL ES 3.0 compliant hardware.
    11-12-12 01:43 AM
    If AT&T didn't cripple HSPA+, we wouldn't feel the need for LTE so much. Maybe its not so much as crippling, but simply calling what was "3G" now "4G/HSPA+" without adding the backhaul.
    11-15-12 12:02 PM
    From what has been mentioned recently it will be an S4 of some kind, RIM have a long standing partnership with Qualcomm after putting Snapdragons in BB7 handsets.

That being said Dev Alpha B has a S4 in it as well, with LTE being integrated it does make them power efficient.

Ti are moving off mobile chips now and I'm guessing at the time they where good enough for the PB and Dev Alpha A.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    11-17-12 06:27 PM
    If they want to see any advertising by the carriers then Rim most definitely do need LTE in the US, the marketing story has already been told and believed so unless you are somebody like google where the sales of one handset are not make or break then you need to toe the line.
    11-18-12 05:41 AM