Good day,

I have a line with a Galaxy on it.. (my wife). I was to pass her my spare z10. but I notice that only the voice was working.. no data..

I called my provider and they told me they have to change the plan for a BB one..
    I tought that since the z10 it was the same kind of data plan, no ?

Thanks
    Frank
    09-12-15 04:19 PM
    Load of rubbish from your provider, you probably just need the correct APN settings

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    Last edited by paulwallace1234; 09-13-15 at 03:22 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-12-15 04:21 PM
    Good day,

I have a line with a Galaxy on it.. (my wife). I was to pass her my spare z10. but I notice that only the voice was working.. no data..

I called my provider and they told me they have to change the plan for a BB one..
    I tought that since the z10 it was the same kind of data plan, no ?

Thanks
    Frank
    The word BlackBerry confused your carrier. The Z10 just needs the same data plan as the Galaxy.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-12-15 04:22 PM
    It may be a load of rubbish from the carrier, it may not. Check the APN setting which is available by going to Settings -> Network and Connections -> Mobile Network and select the gear at the bottom. Just set it to the same as you Android phone and it should work. If it doesn�t you may be on one of the carriers that still requires a BlackBerry plan even for BB10.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    09-12-15 04:52 PM
    I just did
    it was on blackberry.net, changed it to pda.bell.ca

worked!

thanks!
    09-12-15 05:03 PM
    I just did
    it was on blackberry.net, changed it to pda.bell.ca

worked!

thanks!
    No problem. We're on Virgin and have to do that. My wife just got a new Leap and I couldn't figure out why it didn't have data until I remembered that trick.

Bell Canada is one of the companies that would like to sell you a BlackBerry account, but if you push them hard enough, or know how their network is set up, you can use a normal account.

09-12-15 05:07 PM
    I pushed when I called, because I remember that when they changed my plan (the retention), they told me they had gave me a data plan that would work with any phones..

Even telling that, the lady told me the same "sale" speech
    09-12-15 05:09 PM
    It may be a load of rubbish from the carrier, it may not. Check the APN setting which is available by going to Settings -> Network and Connections -> Mobile Network and select the gear at the bottom. Just set it to the same as you Android phone and it should work. If it doesn’t you may be on one of the carriers that still requires a BlackBerry plan even for BB10.
    Can we conclude, then, it *is* a load of rubbish from the carrier? How would a BlackBerry plan, with BIS, even work with BB10?
    09-12-15 05:33 PM
    Can we conclude, then, it *is* a load of rubbish from the carrier? How would a BlackBerry plan, with BIS, even work with BB10?
    No you can't. Carriers are allowed to run their networks however they want. While the BB10 devices won't use the BIS protocol, they can still use the private connection between the carrier and the BlackBerry servers that they are required to maintain to be able to offer BlackBerry service. Some networks have been set up to only allow BlackBerry devices to use that connection. On those carriers users have no recourse. Bell's network is set up to configure BlackBerrys to use that connection, but has left open the option for the user to change the APN. I'm not sure why they have opened this option, because at the start all BB10 devices on the Bell network had to have a BlackBerry plan.

Their low cost captive carrier Virgin is completely open about configuring BB10 devices with the standard APN and using a standard account. But with Bell you often have to threaten to go elsewhere. Sometimes that doesn't even work.

cbvinh likes this.
    09-12-15 07:59 PM