Hi,

Coming from an iphone, text selection and cursor control on the Z10 is an absolute nightmare to use. The cursor behaviour is not consistent at all, especially when in a text field and for example I want to modify the first letter.

Try charging your last name in BlackBerry I settings, for example, to know what I'm talking about.

You think this will improve over time?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 12:09 PM
    Same issues with my iphone 5. Don't really find one better than the other except maybe a bit more consistent on the iphone, just neither is a great solution to text selection. I'm positive this will get better over time and will probably be smoother next update.
    02-24-13 12:13 PM
    The trick is not to go for the middle of the lens that comes up but for one edge of it. Found out you can control it much better going between rows and lines of text, and also see when you get where you want to edit too.

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    02-24-13 12:17 PM
    Maybe not a nightmare, but definitely difficult to get right.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 12:49 PM
    yeah no phone seems to be perfect but BB could improve here for sure. Instead of the hourglass an enlarged marker handle set blow the text might be best.
    02-24-13 12:52 PM
    Grab the outer edge of the circle the part that is blue. If u want to move one space at a time then tap the blue edge in the direction of movement even up ot down. It's different from the iPhone where the lens pops up above the text. This stays in line with the text u just have to grab the lower part of the circle not the middle.

Also after long pressing to select text to get the menu to pop up (cut copy paste etc) just a quick tap on the selection will bring it up dont long press on it like iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    u_n likes this.
    02-24-13 12:58 PM
    Yeah ... I agree. Find copy and paste easier on iOS than PlayBook
    02-24-13 01:00 PM
    If you long press the circle finder you are in for a world of frustration. The trick is not to long press the circle once it's appeared, you just grab an edge of it and start dragging it around, I had trouble with it at first, now it handles perfectly for me.
    Young Z likes this.
    02-24-13 01:23 PM
    Thanks all for the reply. Some interesting information here.

How do you make the loupe appear anyway? Seems to be random.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 02:02 PM
    Typically it will appear if you quick tap the position you wish to edit. A prolonged touch and hold will bring up the menu command from the right side of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 02:51 PM
    Yes I agree with the OP. Cursor behaviour is a bit hit and miss. Also my keyboard seems to minimise itself intermittently! Hope its fixed in an update.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 02:59 PM
    I too have problems with this, I don't need to download any games this keeps me occupied for hours. I have fat fingers and it would be easier if the blue ring was just a little larger in diamiter.
    02-27-13 03:00 PM
    Oh... and let me add that cut copy and paste is a bit of a joke too

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 03:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    What you have a problem with the tiny blue commas, surely not? I found if I hover gently on the screen I can get it to work which is counter-intuitive to "Bloke press harder".
    daveshiz likes this.
    02-27-13 03:16 PM
    I found that, like a few other things with the z10, it just takes some getting used to. Then you're wondering why any phone does it different.
    02-27-13 03:34 PM
    Hi,
    Coming from an iphone, text selection and cursor control on the Z10 is an absolute nightmare to use. The cursor behaviour is not consistent at all, especially when in a text field and for example I want to modify the first letter.
    Posted via CB10
    Definite learning curve, I came from iPhone as well, and as someone said try the edge of the lens. I find the selection markers easy to use though. The iPhone iteration isn't fantastic either, both need improvement imho. Hopefully BB will put that fix in the 10.1 update!
    JDA89 likes this.
    02-27-13 03:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    No real issues there. The first time I needed to understand what each icon meant, but once I tapped and it flew out from right side of screen with text, I got it. It's fine, works as well and consistently as iOS I found. What's your issue with it?
    02-27-13 03:58 PM
    Single tap brings the big circle. Touching the edge and dragging around positions the cursor cleanly.
    Double tap on a word highlights the word. The little blue handles....touch and drag down one and it makes the handle way bigger and allows you to point at what you want as there is a "stick" coming out the top that allow you to move your finger out of the way and still see what you are highlighting.

Don't be learning how to do it when pressed for time or you will throw it through a window. Sit calmly and try each move.
    02-27-13 04:11 PM
    Single tap brings the big circle. Touching the edge and dragging around positions the cursor cleanly.
    Double tap on a word highlights the word. The little blue handles....touch and drag down one and it makes the handle way bigger and allows you to point at what you want as there is a "stick" coming out the top that allow you to move your finger out of the way and still see what you are highlighting.

Don't be learning how to do it when pressed for time or you will throw it through a window. Sit calmly and try each move.
    But when you do this do you not get the overflow menu constantly sliding out when trying to move the blue handles?? Because I do and it is very annoying!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 06:46 PM

That's the way to do it, drag the bubble moves the curser. To select the word, you can also long press it to bring up the select handles.
    03-28-13 07:33 PM
    Grab the outer edge of the circle the part that is blue. If u want to move one space at a time then tap the blue edge in the direction of movement even up ot down. It's different from the iPhone where the lens pops up above the text. This stays in line with the text u just have to grab the lower part of the circle not the middle.

Also after long pressing to select text to get the menu to pop up (cut copy paste etc) just a quick tap on the selection will bring it up dont long press on it like iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you, never knew about the tap to get over one spot.
    03-28-13 07:38 PM
    Yes I agree with the OP. Cursor behaviour is a bit hit and miss. Also my keyboard seems to minimise itself intermittently! Hope its fixed in an update.

Posted via CB10
    If you swipe down on the keyboard with 2 fingers (or something similar) it will make the keyboard disappear by design. Use two fingers to swipe back up from the bottom to get it back.

By the way, thank you thank you to the posters that explain the trick with text selection. I was doing the long hold like the iPhone and was frustrated. Now that I understand you can grab the little blue teardrops to partial select... or grab the side of the lens to move it around it is much easier.
    03-29-13 09:36 AM
    If you long press the circle finder you are in for a world of frustration. The trick is not to long press the circle once it's appeared, you just grab an edge of it and start dragging it around, I had trouble with it at first, now it handles perfectly for me.
    Dang! Thanks for this, only new about tapping up/down/right/left to go that direction, never knew you could drag it around. This is very useful, and yes, the key is to drag using the edge of the bubble so you can see where the cursor is.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 09:44 AM
    03-29-13 09:53 AM
    I also think it's a nightmare. Not just for the reasons already stated here but also because:

• Editing junk pops up RIGHT ON TOP of the text you are trying to edit, obscuring it!
    • Keyboard pops up at inopportune times, and not when you want it to at others. I am constantly forcing the keyboard to go away because it is covering things up on the screen that I need to see.
    • Can't figure out how to reliably copy/paste text. Oftentimes I can't make the right-side menu appear when I want it, and then when it does, I don't always know what all the icons are, have to press them VERY CAREFULLY to check or else it does something I do not want
    • I get "accept" or "enter" actions all the time when I don't want them. One reason was the "space bar autocomplete" that kept forcing me to accept words I DID NOT WANT in order to enter a space! (Turned that off)

These were exactly the kinds of things that drove me away from WebOS when it first came out. Really really horrible text editing capabilities.

Honestly I have not been thrilled with the onscreen keyboard in general. Gave it a good go, wanted to like it, but it's all of the things that I always hated about on-screen keyboards that force me to type on tiny squares on glass without any physical finger feedback. Requires too much focusing on tiny stuff on screen, something which is harder to do when my older eyes are having a bad day.

Perhaps I really should have a Q10 instead. Pity about the screen size. Yay for battery life.
    04-01-13 06:55 PM
30 12