Hmm, but there is no standardised threshold of activity by which to objectively measure baseline battery drain. Certainly, you didn't say anything in your original post that was along the lines which would enable someone to replicate the level of battery drain that you experience. [Yeah I saw the screenshot but well, is that what you were using when you only managed three hours or what?]
    I am NOT disagreeing with you that Z10 battery life could be better, but I just don't think we're going to get along the path of a clear understanding of the problem and solid ways to tackle it [if that's even possible] without being a LOT more careful about what constitutes normal usage, high usage etc., and a whole lot of other individual factors which can make battery life differ widely between people using the same phone.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-13-14 07:08 AM
    my Z10 battery lasts for (ever)....lol

OS 10.2.1.3175 - White Z10 Bell - My FIRST full touch screen phone.
    Qaxl likes this.
    07-13-14 07:20 AM
    OS 10.2.1.3175 - White Z10 on Bell - My FIRST full touch screen phone.
    07-13-14 07:21 AM
    Have you do done a secure wipe of your device since your last OS update?

OS updates aren't perfect, they tend to allow old files from the previous OS behind which can affect things like battery usage. This is why after every update I do a secure wipe then start over. I get close to 2 days of standby time on my Z10 and about a day if I am using it a lot.
    07-13-14 08:08 AM
    Not on MY Z10. I haven't tested the current OS, but using wifi on my device has been a battery drainer. Initially, I had connectivity issues at various public access points. No problem now. The wifi battery drain has improved with newer OS updates and I'll test this latest release over the next couple of days as this has my primary issue with MY Z10.

As for the OP and his issues, I would follow the wipe and reload advice that others have suggested. It didn't fix my wifi battery drain, but for the OP,he has nothing to lose. I might very well have a hardware issue.

CB10 VZW Z10 OS.3247
    07-13-14 08:51 AM
    So troll, dat guy.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 09:07 AM
    What OS do you have installed?
    I'm running the 10..3.0.296 on my Z10 and I average about 2 days + 18 hours.
    The worst I ever got was about 1 day+ 12 hours on an older OS 10.2.1.xxx

Your numbers are way off the chart.
    reinstall the OS and use the latest one available!
    The only time I get that much out of my Z30 is if I don't use it. When I use it after 14 or 16 hours I'm down to 15%
    anon(3732391) and anon721037 like this.
    07-13-14 09:19 AM
    Disable 4g/lte and see if it changes anything

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Make that fast and powerful expensive phone slow. Why not just buy a cheap feature phone?
    anon721037 and Rello like this.
    07-13-14 09:25 AM
    Yes. Make that fast and powerful expensive phone slow. Why not just buy a cheap feature phone?
    HSDPA is not slow. If you are rarely under LTE coverage, just disabling it and forgetting about it is OK.
    07-13-14 09:30 AM
    HSDPA is not slow. If you are rarely under LTE coverage, just disabling it and forgetting about it is OK.
    Yep. But all these suggestions to go to 3g or lower, turn everything off, don't use the browser so much. Why have a smart phone if you are shutting all the smart and fast off?

I hear the Z10 is a great phone except for battery life if you actually use it.
    BoldPreza and anon721037 like this.
    07-13-14 09:36 AM
    Do you keep your car running all the time, lights on, radio full blast, and complain about gas usage? Or do you turn off your car when you aren't using it?
    Do you constantly use a laptop with everything turned on (Bluetooth, WiFi) and complain when the battery doesn't last long or do you optimize and plug in when you can?
    I see no difference with a phone. If I know I won't be using WiFi, I turn it off. Same with Bluetooth. I don't run apps continuously, I run them when needed. I plug in when I can, and I always travel with a fully charged spare battery. I'll also have a couple of charging sticks, too, if necessary.
    07-13-14 10:01 AM
    The Z10 has a horrible battery life for power users.
    2 things that will absolutely kill the battery:
    • BBM. Either via group chats or because it's stuck and requires to be re-installed
    • Activesync. The BB client is broken and will try over and over to send the same malformed messages until the battery runs out.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-13-14 10:32 AM
    The only time I get that much out of my Z30 is if I don't use it. When I use it after 14 or 16 hours I'm down to 15%
    So, you're no longer using the one I got you from Toys R US?
    You never cease to amaze!

One thing I do is very rarely use the virtual keyboard. I prefer the voice recognition.
    The trick is to not talk in full sentences!!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-13-14 11:02 AM
    Yep. But all these suggestions to go to 3g or lower, turn everything off, don't use the browser so much. Why have a smart phone if you are shutting all the smart and fast off?

I agree. I wouldn't suggest it, although I sometimes switch to 2G from 3G when my battery's quite low, and I'm going to sleep anyway and too lazy/tired to get off and find the charger.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-13-14 11:07 AM
    I think something is wrong with your phone.

I use my phone taking it off charger in the morning around 8am, full brightness bluetooth and wifi running all day.

My daily commute is an hour each way, during which time I am listening to music via bluetooth the whole time.

Constantly on the Cb 10 app and my browser and more recently using the phone as I handle somethings though only through speaker because my mic is broken.

My office is in a lower level with poor signal so it's constantly searching.

I always however make it to the end of the day. Sometimes a day and a half never more and by that I mean bed time around midnight.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 11:28 AM

I used to do this myself now I just run my phone all day with everything running for exactly that reason. What's the point of having a smart phone if I can't use it?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-13-14 11:30 AM
    Howarmat, I think you would be surprised.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, why would he be? There are plenty of us that are not only getting good battery life but great battery life. Of course I am using the phone normally (moderate usage) which would give 15 to 18 hrs easily. Now, of course using a device like you seem to be doing (189% display and 200% browser) will kill ANY device in a few hours - try doing that on an iPhone 5s - you will find similar results. Sounds like you need an iPad air or. Macbook Air with the way you are using your phone and even the excellent battery life on these devices if I use my iPad Air continuously like you seem to the battery would go down to 10% within about 7-8 hours so no, no investigation is necessary as imo the Z10 hardware is fine and the software is getting better with each release.
    07-13-14 12:02 PM
    I get TALK times longer than what the OP claims for battery life. But I also turn off BlackBerry Link, will usually turn off NFC and GPS services, and run my screen at 50-70%.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 12:04 PM
    The first thing I did when I got my Z10 was get the battery/portable charger after reading about battery life here. I may have had a lot of issues with my Z10 but battery life wasn't one of them and ended up rarely using the spare, I know of no-one who would be able to relate to the OP. After the last update my Z30 battery started to show signs of discharging quicker, it was still much stronger than I needed it to be but it was worry-some. After checking the usual suspects I noticed that "Location" in the quick settings drop down menu had defaulted to on, I guess during the update, I switched it off and no problems since.
    07-13-14 12:26 PM
    I always found GPRS useless and since a couple years I cannot stand EDGE either.
    I wish my operator made sure there are no more 3G holes instead of trickling LTE rollout.
    07-13-14 12:50 PM
    So, you're no longer using the one I got you from Toys R US?
    You never cease to amaze!

One thing I do is very rarely use the virtual keyboard. I prefer the voice recognition.
    The trick is to not talk in full sentences!!
    http://www.picturesanimations.com/3/3d_smileys/0269.gif
    D'oh
    anon721037 and anon(3732391) like this.
    07-13-14 02:52 PM
    My Z10: Average 18 hours with light use. Approx 12 hours with moderate use. Approx 6-8 hours with heavy use.

If you're struggling to pull 3 hours, you have an issue. I suggest re-loading the OS and see how battery life goes BEFORE re-adding all your accounts.
    07-13-14 09:22 PM
    Op, backup your contacts and important files/datas then reload (restore factory) your phone. Install the latest software and don't install any battery apps and android apps.

When done, don't restore any backup files. Set it up and let the os settle for 2 days before you make any changes. Then see or observe. If still does the same problem, you should be having problems in the hardware.

Its a bit of a work but you gotta do it. Good luck and have fun.

If you dont know the procedures, Google it.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-13-14 10:50 PM
    The battery was the only reason I sold my Z10.
    Doggerz likes this.
    07-14-14 04:22 AM
    Op, backup your contacts and important files/datas then reload (restore factory) your phone. Install the latest software and don't install any battery apps and android apps.

When done, don't restore any backup files. Set it up and let the os settle for 2 days before you make any changes. Then see or observe. If still does the same problem, you should be having problems in the hardware.

Its a bit of a work but you gotta do it. Good luck and have fun.

If you dont know the procedures, Google it.

Posted via CB10
    After this, turn off BlackBerry Protect & BlackBerry link and set brightness down to 15%.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 04:44 AM
117 ... 2345