What exactly does this mean? Just that they will be owned by another company and they'll keep doing what they are doing and nothing will change?

Or does this mean the end of the company and if so what happens to our devices and our bbm networks will people still be able to buy the phones?

Clearly I have no idea how this works can anyone explain it to me?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 06:48 PM
    it can mean a few things there are articles on the main crackberry webpage explaining these but i can five you 3

option one they remain unchanged and carry on the way they are o
    option 2 they give up on hardware and focus on software and enterprize (they could also still make hardware but not for the consumer)

and option 3 is break up the company and sell the patents

by the looks of this website everyone thinks its only going to be option 3 and it really bugs me i like to think postive and im hoping for atleast option 2 i doubt option 1 tho the way things are going ill be sad when the day comes that only windows phone ios and andriod are the main 3
    dro
    09-29-13 07:19 PM
    it can mean a few things there are articles on the main crackberry webpage explaining these but i can five you 3

option 2 they give up on hardware and focus on software and enterprize (they could also still make hardware but not for the consumer)

by the looks of this website everyone thinks its only going to be option 3 and it really bugs me i like to think postive and im hoping for atleast option 2 i doubt option 1 tho the way things are going ill be sad when the day comes that only windows phone ios and andriod are the main 3
    dro
    Damn if option 3 goes ahead will we lost all functionality on our phones? Like the bbm service and the app store?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 07:32 PM

dro
    Really? I've read more of options 1+2 and barely any of option three. Where are the links? I'm guessing if will be option 2, they will continue as normal pretty much and just sell phones for people that want them, ie through website and maybe Canadian carriers

Posted from my Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1761
    Last edited by habs_fan; 09-29-13 at 09:01 PM.
    09-29-13 07:41 PM

dro

Option 4: No one knows. And anyone on these forums that professes to know is a liar.
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-29-13 08:17 PM
    What exactly does this mean? Just that they will be owned by another company and they'll keep doing what they are doing and nothing will change?

Or does this mean the end of the company and if so what happens to our devices and our bbm networks will people still be able to buy the phones?

Clearly I have no idea how this works can anyone explain it to me?

Posted via CB10
    They are basically going to require current shareholders to sell their stock to them-so new shareholders or owners - then they will delist their stock from the public stock exchanges. This means they will not be subject to the same regulations as public companies and do not have to make public disclosures. They can then do whatever they want.- as long as it's legal.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 09:51 PM
    What it basically means is that they will no longer be responsible to any shareholders. The main goal of any public company is to maximize shareholder revenue. As a private company they can do what they wish without needing approval from a board or their shareholders.
    09-29-13 10:17 PM
    What it basically means is that they will no longer be responsible to any shareholders. The main goal of any public company is to maximize shareholder revenue. As a private company they can do what they wish without needing approval from a board or their shareholders.
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 08:19 AM
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing

Posted via CB10
    From the non-shareholder, Blackberry fan perspective, probably more positive than negative. It will probably reduce the amount of negative press about Blackberry. Having said that, the real issue is what the new owners would plan to do with Blackberry (see post #2 of this thread). The reason why Blackberry is looking to be taken private is because the company is having serious problems right now and probably needs to make/will make some significant changes to try to return the company to profitability or preserve the company's existence (assuming it isn't broken up). Making those difficult changes is easier to do when a company is private than when it is publicly-owned by stockholders.

IMO, there is a strong possibility Blackberry will exit the hardware business (i.e. manufacturing smartphones) in an effort to preserve the company.
    09-30-13 08:39 AM
    An earlier post indicated the don't need to follow direction of the board. They still must or the management will be replaced. One criticism of public companies is they are only focusing on the next quarter. Private company's can decide their own time horizon be it- the next quarter or next 3 years (provided they do not go bankrupt). The board of directors puts in place the ceo- but the shareholders select the board- so this is kinda like reducing the layers of management (kind off)

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 08:58 AM
    Not accurate. The investors that are attempting to buy all the outstanding public shares (Fairfax and consortium) will de-list BlackBerry from the stock exchange and that's why it will become 'private'. Those investors will absolutely expect results and BlackBerry cannot do as they please and will still take directions from a board of directors. Will the board of directors look the same as the current board, who knows but I doubt it. What course the BoD's take once and if it becomes a private company? Who knows, it's all speculation at this point. Keep in mind, as a private entity they're not required to inform the general public nor press about their plans.
    09-30-13 11:23 AM
    The real issue at the moment is that the market is uneasy about trusting Watsa. He made billions in the bad mortgage days, but...

Column: Does bad publicity kill merger plans
    09-30-13 11:31 AM
    So it could be that if I buy the Z10 that BB won't support BB10 in the near future?
    09-30-13 11:50 AM
    So it could be that if I buy the Z10 that BB won't support BB10 in the near future?
    BBerry's "intent" is to keep making phones but concentrate on corporate sales. Some feel this is a mistake, but whatever, The likelihood of them abandoning the phone seems slim. Met a high-profile money manager in Los Angeles last night who just bought a new Q10. He's pretty sure the privatization will go through. The real bottom line is if you buy from a carrier they have to support the phone anyway.
    09-30-13 12:17 PM