I'm seriously contemplating switching from the iPhone 5 to the Zed 10. My network is Verizon and I'm breaking out in hives just thinking about owning a phone with a big Verizon logo splashed across the front.

From some of the adverts I've seen it looks like some of the Canadian carriers don't have their logos on the phone so my question here is, is there a Canadian network where I can get an unbranded phone and the LTE and everything will work on Verizon's network?

Thnx.
    02-04-13 07:57 AM
    Verizon LTE should be compatible with rogers and is the logo painted on or engraved in the plastic
    02-04-13 08:06 AM
    Verizon LTE should be compatible with rogers and is the logo painted on or engraved in the plastic
    Can't answer that as I haven't seen one in the wild yet. Is there a way to order a Rogers phone here in the States?
    02-04-13 08:11 AM
    Can't answer that as I haven't seen one in the wild yet. Is there a way to order a Rogers phone here in the States?
    nope, Rogers will only sell in Canada, what you would need to do is take a trip to Canada and go to a Rogers store and buy off contract, OR have a Canadian friend pick one up for you and ship it to you.
    02-04-13 08:18 AM
    Thanks, QuickSIIV3r.

Would you know an approximate price for the Z10 in Canada?
    02-04-13 08:29 AM
    I just called a Rogers store in Montreal. They said in order to use the phone on Verizon it would have to be unlocked. And also that it would say Rogers on the front. And it's $650 off contract.
    Bleah.
    02-04-13 08:36 AM
    I honestly can't tell you if Rogers and Verizon have the same specs for towers, I know ATT and Rogers are on par with each other... and according to the Rogers website, the Z10 is $139 on a yr contract and states that you save $460... so that makes it $600....
    02-04-13 08:53 AM
    I just called a Rogers store in Montreal. They said in order to use the phone on Verizon it would have to be unlocked. And also that it would say Rogers on the front. And it's $650 off contract.
    Bleah.
    hmm interesting
    02-04-13 08:54 AM
    I'm seriously contemplating switching from the iPhone 5 to the Zed 10. My network is Verizon and I'm breaking out in hives just thinking about owning a phone with a big Verizon logo splashed across the front.

From some of the adverts I've seen it looks like some of the Canadian carriers don't have their logos on the phone so my question here is, is there a Canadian network where I can get an unbranded phone and the LTE and everything will work on Verizon's network?

Thnx.
    I would call Verizon about that. I don't think US CDMA carriers ( Sprint & Verizon) allow you to that.
    02-04-13 10:21 AM
    What do you mean 'allow' me to do that? Apple doesn't 'allow' me to jailbreak my iPhone but in about 37 minutes that's exactly what I'll be doing.
    02-04-13 10:23 AM
    You can only activate a device that is branded from Verizon on Verizon's network.

Getting a device from Rogers will not work.
    02-04-13 11:26 AM
    What do you mean 'allow' me to do that? Apple doesn't 'allow' me to jailbreak my iPhone but in about 37 minutes that's exactly what I'll be doing.
    As a fellow VZW user, I have already researched this and it will not work. AFAIK, only GSM phones can be unlocked, whereas CDMA phones are open, but the carrier can tell what phones are on their networks and won't allow a phone without the appropriate ESN numbers. Secondly, even if the LTE networks were the same frequency between Verizon and the Canadian carrier, when you are out of LTE coverage area, your phone will have to default to the 3G network and I couldn't identify any Canadian carrier device that had the same frequencies as Verizon's CDMA. IIRC I think Alltel was the only Canadian CDMA carrier and they are now owned by verizon. IMO if I wanted to just default to a GSM frequency then I would just get ATT and pay less of a premium that I pay for Verizon's top notch CS.

I hope there is some way to get an unbranded Z10 onto Verizon's network and retain all CDMA ability, but as of now it seems about as likely as catching a fart in the wind.
    02-04-13 09:48 PM
    This thread was my plan, not because of the stupid Verizon branding, I could give two ****s about that. I just want my z10 and don't want to wait. If I could buy 1 in Canada, I gladly would make the trip up there to do so. But not if its not gonna work. There has to be a way, I cannot wait until mid March!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-04-13 10:16 PM
    Bell and Telus were the biggest CDMA providers in Canada but they switched to GSM when they introduced HSPA... They still support the old CDMA network but it's slowly being phased out since they aren't offering any CDMA phones anymore. I think you are out of luck... You'll have to wait BB to introduce the CDMA version.
    02-04-13 10:27 PM
    IS there no CDMA version in the UK either?
    02-04-13 11:51 PM
    Even if it worked on LTE (it won't), voice calls require a UMTS (GSM) network. Voice over LTE is VERY rare and most networks don't even support it.
    02-05-13 12:03 AM
    It's illegal to unlock phones in the states remember??? :} idk if same goes for phones from outside the country tho. But I also think Rodgers is at&t's button buddy. Sorry that's was inappropriate.
    02-05-13 12:17 AM
    It's illegal to unlock phones in the states remember??? :} idk if same goes for phones from outside the country tho. But I also think Rodgers is at&t's button buddy. Sorry that's was inappropriate.
    Its ONLY in the US for that. Canada you can still unlock phones. The USA Government can NOT make a rule to tell Canadians that they can NOT unlock their phones & its illegal. The Canadian Government has to put that policy & pass it.
    02-05-13 12:19 AM
    Its ONLY in the US for that. Canada you can still unlock phones. The USA Government can NOT make a rule to tell Canadians that they can NOT unlock their phones & its illegal. The Canadian Government has to put that policy & pass it.
    I know they can't tell members of an other country what to do but I'm talking about the usa tell it's members what to do with international goods. This isn't the UAE where they tell other citizens of other countries what to do. Jk I don't think they do that there
    02-05-13 12:31 AM
    I guess some forgot that Verizon's and AT&T's LTE is on the 700 mhz band and no one else in the world uses that range of Frequencies. Plus the fact if the phone isn't in Verizon's database, you have a better chance of **** freezing over before it gets activated.
    02-05-13 12:41 AM