Well this isn't new news and neither is the 350 employees out of work. The media today is all over this story but I saw shining light. BlackBerry will pay back the Nova Scotia gov't the millions they received in grants. Awwww, what a nice Canadian thing to do

Unlike the American auto industry who are seeing record profits right now and still haven't fully paid back the billions they received from the Canada. Nope they just give a big FU to the north and instead shut down production lines and send the jobs south.

Although blackberry will probably write those millions off in some tax settlement , so the reports and this thread probably don't matter. It beats another doom and gloom thread though!

For the record none of the numbers I posted above are factual just from recent memory and wanted to hear others opinions

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 11:24 AM
    Yup this is all over the forums this morning....really sad....
    10-10-13 11:32 AM
    Don't know how the auto loans are relevant here, and my understanding on those was that they were being paid back ahead of schedule.

It's possible that part of the decision here was motivated by the NDP's loss in the provincial election a couple of days ago. If they provided the incentives to get BB to locate a facility there, and that decision contributed to defeat ("corporate welfare" was definitely an issue), then that likely contributed.

I'm very sorry to hear of this closure.
    Bdot-1 likes this.
    10-10-13 11:41 AM
    A black day for BlackBerry. The end is nigh! : (

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 11:41 AM
    Don't know how the auto loans are relevant here, and my understanding on those was that they were being paid back ahead of schedule.

It's possible that part of the decision here was motivated by the NDP's loss in the provincial election a couple of days ago. If they provided the incentives to get BB to locate a facility there, and that decision contributed to defeat ("corporate welfare" was definitely an issue), then that likely contributed.

I'm very sorry to hear of this closure.
    The auto loans are being paid back ahead of schedule and with plenty of interest. US Gov recognized (correctly) that allowing GM to go into receivership would have destroyed it. Too bad the Canadian Gov doesn't feel the same way about one of their most cherished businesses.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-10-13 12:01 PM
    I believe the actual amount is 315 employees with 35 of them allowed to work from home.
    This means they are saving around ($50,000 / employee x 315) $16 million in salaries alone, combine that with selling the property, operational expenses, property tax, and you'll looking at some significant savings.

Also I believe that is a center supporting BB PlayBook, and since BB does not have plans to support it (? I Believe), makes sense from a Strategic point of view.

Returning $2 million to the government isn't severe compared to the figures above, more so the damage seems to be from a lot of people just losing their jobs in a province that is known for high unemployment.

At least they aren't relocating employees to some sweatshop style country out there - but then again $55 million going to the CEO isn't exactly peachy when 5,000 employees are just getting let go.
    10-10-13 12:07 PM
    If the average wage of those employees is 45k BlackBerry saved themselves over 15 million dollars by letting them go, not to mention the cost of the facility. It's sad but blackberry real does need to contract. They have a lot of extra weight from the bbos days that needs to go.

Posted from my Z10
    Bdot-1 likes this.
    10-10-13 12:10 PM
    If the average wage of those employees is 45k BlackBerry saved themselves over 15 million dollars by letting them go, not to mention the cost of the facility. It's sad but blackberry real does need to contract. They have a lot of extra weight from the bbos days that needs to go.

Posted from my Z10

I think that's what I just said lol
    10-10-13 12:18 PM
    Lol I thought I was reading doubles...

As for their salaries, isn't even 50k a bit conservative? Can any blackberry employees chime in on this discussion with your wages so we can discuss how underpaid you are lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 04:37 PM