He could just be telling the market what it wants to hear for now and doing what he likes in the future. I for once think it would be a mistake for BB to focus on qwerty. The top two phones of 2013 on cb of all places were both touch screen phones and even business people seem to be opting for the touch screen when given the choice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    01-11-14 06:09 PM
    This is the only thing I've heard from him that is absolutely mad. I'm fine with him bringing out another Qwerty next, seeing as the Z30 just came out, but not to bring out one flagship flatscreen a year would be utter lunacy.

Some people love the physical keyboard, and of course they should bring out more and better, but the main reason BlackBerry got themselves in this mess was not moving to the full screens. Chen is going to lose a whole generation on consumers if 2014 doesn't see a BlackBerry 10 full screen flagship that can dance with whatever Apple and Samsung deliver.

So, do you guys think he is serious? Have I misunderstood him? Do you disagree with my statement, and think I'm mad? Personally, I love BlackBerry 10, but I have absolutely no interest in physical keyboard, which I actually find slower than the BlackBerry 10 keyboard on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    From what I saw, the first all touch device this year would be the jarkata. (which is a lower specced and cheaper phone)
    Then the new flagships would be predominantly qwerty, but would still have touch devices (maybe not this year though)

I hope they make something like BlackBerry Torch. I know that the virtual keyboard which I'm using now is awesome but there are still advantages of qwerty real keyboards. Try a q10 somewhere and you should know what I mean.

Anyway I respect his decision but yes, full touch devices are definitely needed (so I doubt he will kill them)

Posted with my BlackBerry
    01-11-14 07:03 PM
    I hadn't realised you had talked to most Apple customers. That's impressive.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ap...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Incidentally, did the carrier fix your Q10 key? My carrier fixed a hardware issue I had with one of my Bolds some years back with a replacement phone. No charge.
    No they said BlackBerry viewed that as user abuse and wouldn't let you them replace it. Fortunately it was so new that Amazon replaced it.

I'd you are going to argue have that Apple isn't considered to have good customer service it's pretty hard to take that seriously.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-11-14 09:15 PM
    Apple must be commended on their 'geniuses' and repair policy. It's a stroke of Jobsian genius. He has people actually praising Apple for their phones breaking it's brilliant.

Posted via CB10
    All phones break at some rate.

01-11-14 09:16 PM
    I hope he is! Unless they can slap a 16:10 display on it and keep it svelte I wouldn't even consider one. 1:1 displays are useless for content consumption and do not run ported apps well

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    01-11-14 09:58 PM
    I'd you are going to argue have that Apple isn't considered to have good customer service it's pretty hard to take that seriously.
    I'm only arguing that it isn't almost universally "spectacular" as you seem to be trying to claim. It can be good and it can be terrible, just like any other customer service or support system. Now let's just return to the subject of the thread shall we?
    RyanGermann likes this.
    01-12-14 12:43 AM
    Well, I'm going to admit this: even though I think that Chen would be mad to put touchscreen phones on the back burner, I really think a Z30 sized Q phone is going to be a success if they get it right.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 09:26 AM
    Really? Where are those people? I keep reading posts about qwerty smartphones are what BlackBerry fans want, however the sales of Q10 or Q5 don't show that. If qwerty smartphones was what people want, Android and iPhone phones wouldn't be selling like hot cakes.
    Let us not forget about the contracts that BlackBerry has with the Pentagon and the multitude of other large corporations (the military is, after all the largest corporation).
    I read somewhere that the Pentagon has over 12,000 Blackberry devices. All qwerty's I believe.
    -
    The problem isn't the qwerty keyboard on the Q10 that's holding it back.
    The problem, is the same that tanked the Z10.. It's the OS: and not just what legacy features were removed from OS10 (like contact organization) but it's the lack of sophisticated offerings that you get for your $600.00 OS10 device, compared to what you get in an iPhone or Android.

I'm sure that Mr. Chen is aware of the comparisons and I would suspect that like most serious Chinese businessmen, he is thinking beyond the next few years in his planning.
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 01-17-14 at 11:16 PM.
    01-17-14 10:56 PM
    If BlackBerry decide to only release one device per year I don't see how they could compete against Samsung or Apple who are releasing a new flagship model yearly. By the time the new BlackBerry comes out people will already have committed to another device.

My view is they need to come out with two new devices flagship per year. One with a physical keyboard and one with a full touch screen. And most importantly the new devices need to be released around the same time as Samsung and Apple release theirs.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    01-18-14 01:13 AM
    Hey, this was the first product cycle for apple where they introduced more than one product!!! Apple is not really the competition as it is not even close. BB needs to make there own game and play it and they have finally started to do so. I don't see a time where they will ever challenge for second spot let alone 3rd but they can still be successful.
    01-18-14 01:46 AM
    Hey, this was the first product cycle for apple where they introduced more than one product!!! Apple is not really the competition as it is not even close. BB needs to make there own game and play it and they have finally started to do so. I don't see a time where they will ever challenge for second spot let alone 3rd but they can still be successful.
    Who said anything about Apple coming out with more than one product per cycle?

And if Apple isn't the competition then who is? Windows?

Velocitymj likes this.
    01-18-14 02:03 AM
    Who said anything about Apple coming out with more than one product per cycle?

And if Apple isn't the competition then who is? Windows?

Windows is really the competition. Apple and android are not even close. BB is trying to be a solid third at this point I think.

01-18-14 08:23 AM
    I'm only arguing that it isn't almost universally "spectacular" as you seem to be trying to claim. It can be good and it can be terrible, just like any other customer service or support system. Now let's just return to the subject of the thread shall we?
    my four customer service experiences with apple:

1) pre-ordered engraved iPod Touch 1. DOA. Geniuses at Eaton Centre Toronto store couldn't revive it: options were free replacement without engraving or wait two weeks. I took the non-ingraved one: result: acceptable, not great

2) iTunes card key came off in the scraping... had to call in to recover: they were able to help by me reading other numbers off the card. rating: good, but the numbers shouldn't have rubbed off in the first place.

3) very old Apple ID was still associated with apps when I upgraded to iPod Air: they forced a change from Userid to email address years ago but botched the job of migrating over my licenses. on the phone for over an hour getting it sorted (note there were paid apps) Finally got it sorted, but again 100% apples fault I shouldn't have had to be on the phone for an hour in the first place.

4) asked what I can do to ensure iTunes songs download 100% without having to manually test them. they asked how I know they didn't complete. I said the song stops and skips to the next one. he asked what player I used. I said iTunes and VLC. he didn't know what VLC was. I explained. He said "that's your problem right there, itunes music is optimised for iTunes. (he forgot that I have the problem in iTunes too). He insinuated that VLC corrupted the songs by playing them (that's a lie or he was under qualified for the job). I was A bit upset by the casual denial of culpability said "so it's my fault that the songs don't work. He said "I didn't say that". I asked to speak to a supervisor. He hung up.

all four problems apple's fault. they better have great support when they screw up this much. Too bad for me three out of four experiences were acceptable or bad. I guess i'm just unlucky.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys likes this.
    01-18-14 03:18 PM
    I have no idea what that comment has to do with BlackBerry keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    scorepion likes this.
    01-18-14 03:27 PM
239 ... 8910