Hello everyone,

I have a Ram and my wife has a Jeep they both use UConnect as the hands free, I had a storm before the Z10 and when I paired a device on it I could go in and change to the name from UConnect to Whipper's Ram on the new Z10 it doesn't allow this - that I can figure out.

Any help ? or is that something that might come out in a software upgrade ?

Thanks
    Whip
    03-02-13 11:52 AM
    I changed my name back when I first got it. I found it cause I was playing with my phone, looking at everything on it.

Open the System Settings � Network Connections � Bluetooth (turn on if it isn't enabled) at the bottom press the Configure icon . At the top you will see there is the Device Name and the Edit Name for Bluetooth.

This way you can name your Z10 to almost anything you want to differentiate your phones!
    Good luck.
    Enjoy your new phone!
    03-02-13 12:32 PM
    Hello everyone,

I have a Ram and my wife has a Jeep they both use UConnect as the hands free, I had a storm before the Z10 and when I paired a device on it I could go in and change to the name from UConnect to Whipper's Ram on the new Z10 it doesn't allow this - that I can figure out.

Any help ? or is that something that might come out in a software upgrade ?

Thanks
    Whip
    Since Bluetooth tends to broadcast device names unless you explicitly configure the device not to broadcast its presence/name I recommend using a non-personally-identifiable name for your own security. Device name plus your initials is sufficient (BB9700ABC or BBABC or RAMABC, etc.).
    03-02-13 12:54 PM
    Thanks for the input but I guess I wasn't clear enough - I know how to change my device name on the Z10 - its the devices I pair with I can't change.

Right now under paired devices I have UConnect and UConnect(1) one of these is my Ram and the other one is my wifes Jeep I just want to be able to change the UConnect to RAM or Whipper's Ram is all.
    I am pretty savvy when it comes to technology and I just don't think you can change the device names you have paired with on the Z10 but you can on other BB's if someone knows how I would love to hear from them.
    Also thanks for the security tips can always use them
    03-02-13 01:07 PM
    Okay, I think I understand now.
    Your z10 is already synced with the Uconnect. But the name on the z10 you want to customize.

With your phone connected to the Uconnected device, go to System Settings � Network Connections � Bluetooth � under the devices you will see the Uconnected device, click on the Paired icon on the bottom � click on the name, then you should see the Device Name there.

Now I don't have any Bluetooth devices connected at the moment, but can you press and long hold the name and edit that field?

EDIT: I got my PlayBook and tried to edit the PlayBook name under the Bluetooth connection, but the z10 will not allow me to change the name. I had to go into the PlayBook to edit the name.
    03-02-13 01:23 PM
    cdnynot you are correct - I haven't tried doing it while the UConnect has been connected I will try that maybe that might work but it seems silly that the device needs to be connected to edit the name.

I will let you know how it works out, but I am guessing it will be the same as your playbook and unfortunately I can't change my UConnect its a factory setting on my truck.
    03-02-13 02:19 PM
    I tried editing the device name while it was connected to my truck and it still didn't work, I am guessing I will have to wait for a software update.
    03-02-13 07:58 PM
    I have tried too originally but have not found a way. Annoying with 3 Mercedes cars, I have MB phone system for each of them.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 08:03 AM