On my Z10, I was looking at Blackberry World, My World, My Apps & Games and found a lot of familiar ones in the "Available" category. They are ones on my Playbook. Initially I thought they had all been ported to the Z10 but after installing a couple (yes they install) I discovered they don't work. At that point I realized that the Z10 was letting me install Playbook applications.

I am surprised that the Z10 does not check to see if the application is for it. Apparently it does not. The Playbook uses the same basic OS but many things are different.
    04-03-13 09:20 PM
    That is a really steep generalisation, don't you think?
    04-03-13 09:23 PM
    It doesn't allow all of them, just the ones that the developers have indicated. You should contact the dev of the apps that aren't working so that they can be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 09:25 PM
    Some work. Some don't. And I believe they only show as 'available' if the dev has structured them to be ported to the Z10. Not sure about that - just basing it on the fact that not all of my pb aps are available and some showed up at different times.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 09:26 PM
    Works for me, dl the apps and work on my phone just fine.
    grover5 and mzceetee like this.
    04-03-13 09:35 PM
    Agreed. I bought a good number of PlayBook apps and a few show as available on my Z10. All have worked so far but AlphaWave has issues with display orientation.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 09:36 PM
    Some of the apps I have on my PlayBook I was able to install on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 09:37 PM
    Other than Apollo, which fits on the PlayBook screen, but not the Z10 screen, the apps from my PlayBook that shows up in BlackBerry World work just fine.

When I submitted RuneCryption to BlackBerry World, I tested on both systems, and tagged it for both. It went through the approval process and is available on the PlayBook, Z10, and Q10. I would hope that developers test it on the different devices before submitting for approval.

If something doesn't work properly, definitely contact the developer. It's definitely in their best interest to make sure it works on as many devices as possible.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 10:02 PM
    there is a list of the apps which are duly signed and converted into bar apps they work for sure. soon a lot of apps will work.

I am using
    flipboard
    golauncher
    sync me and a lot more
    04-03-13 10:06 PM
    You must also take notice that the app may have moved from "free on PlayBook" to "paid on Z10". I have Drums on my PlayBook and while it shows in BlackBerry World, I can't download it on the Z10 because it is now paid.

I wish BlackBerry could enforce things so we don't have to pay for apps we already have, but hey, what do I know...
    04-03-13 10:21 PM
    Works for me, dl the apps and work on my phone just fine.
    All of mine have worked as well or better
    04-03-13 10:50 PM
    Developers indicate which models their app is compatible with. Any app you're downloading on your Z10 the developer has indicated that the app is compatible. If it's not working you definitely should contact the developer, it's in no way an automatic process. The developer had control and said the app works on the Z10.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    04-03-13 10:55 PM
    You must also take notice that the app may have moved from "free on PlayBook" to "paid on Z10". I have Drums on my PlayBook and while it shows in BlackBerry World, I can't download it on the Z10 because it is now paid.

I wish BlackBerry could enforce things so we don't have to pay for apps we already have, but hey, what do I know...
    The choice to charge or not is entirely up to the dev. BlackBerry has nothing to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 07:08 AM
    The choice to charge or not is entirely up to the dev. BlackBerry has nothing to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    Read again. You may see what I mean if you take off the "he's bashing RIM" glasses.
    04-04-13 08:21 AM
    I checked this. AM and notified the developer of one. That was the ABC news app that was an android port. Menu comes up but everything at the next level is blank. But, it would be in BlackBerry best interest to have one of their people test each app thoroughly.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 10:01 AM
    I don't see how this could be enforced. What constitutes something being the same app? Does it have to have the exact same code? What if it's similar but the two versions provide different functionality? What about the fact the tablet user base is smaller and therefore has higher per-user development costs?

If this was standard practice on Android and iOS I could maybe see the argument. But right now when neither Android nor iOS enforce this rule the last thing BlackBerry needs to do is create a reason for devs to pass on BB10.
    EchoesFX likes this.
    04-04-13 07:31 PM
    Yup and there's one I can't kill in my Installing list because I use the same BlackBerry ID on my PlayBook and Z10. It has been there for over 4 weeks now.

When I first setup my apps on my new Z10, after replacing my 9810, I did an install all in bb world expecting only the Z10 versions to be installed. Didn't happen as "The Bard's Tale" a PB only app was down loaded and then hung on installing.
    Last edited by John Pawling; 04-05-13 at 09:58 AM.
    04-04-13 08:55 PM
    I don't see how this could be enforced. What constitutes something being the same app? Does it have to have the exact same code? What if it's similar but the two versions provide different functionality? What about the fact the tablet user base is smaller and therefore has higher per-user development costs?

If this was standard practice on Android and iOS I could maybe see the argument. But right now when neither Android nor iOS enforce this rule the last thing BlackBerry needs to do is create a reason for devs to pass on BB10.
    You are incorrect. ITunes does know the difference between IPod/iphone and IPad apps and your purchased apps are categorized and displayed as such.

I believe that the fault lies with the BlackBerry app developer for not "Marking" their apps correctly and then BlackBerry for allowing an unmarked app into BlackBerry World.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-04-13 09:08 PM
    You are incorrect. ITunes does know the difference between IPod/iphone and IPad apps and your purchased apps are categorized and displayed as such.

I believe that the fault lies with the BlackBerry app developer for not "Marking" their apps correctly and then BlackBerry for allowing an unmarked app into BlackBerry World.
    You misunderstood what I was saying, it was in response to a slightly off topic quote. I said Apple doesn't require developers to bundle the iPhone and iPad apps into one purchase. Some apps you buy one get both, others you have to buy separately. This isn't about separating phone and tablet apps for installation, just purchase bundling.

You're absolutely correct it's caused by improper marking by developers. PlayBook apps are being marked by some devs as BB10 compatible when they're not.
    04-05-13 01:56 PM
    This depends on what z10 OS you have installed as some apps are made for older OS or newer then what you have.

Example: I am on .85 OS but of an app was made for 1526 or whatever I can see it download it, but not work.

It's a developer issue for not making it for all OS'es.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-05-13 02:10 PM
    You misunderstood what I was saying, it was in response to a slightly off topic quote. I said Apple doesn't require developers to bundle the iPhone and iPad apps into one purchase. Some apps you buy one get both, others you have to buy separately. This isn't about separating phone and tablet apps for installation, just purchase bundling.

You're absolutely correct it's caused by improper marking by developers. PlayBook apps are being marked by some devs as BB10 compatible when they're not.
    Entirely my missunderstanding. Actually I checked a few of my PB and Z10 apps and a few installed on both devices without paying twice and a few I'll have to buy twice. Would be nice if we knew this at purchase time though - perhaps the developers can do Apple one better by including in their app description "Buy once, use on all supported devices"

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-05-13 03:45 PM
    I have had all of my pb apps work on my Z10.
    That is, the ones that are free on both, I'm not paying twice!
    04-05-13 04:04 PM
    I have InstaPhoto on my PB for the tilt shift function, and it works fine. It loads on the Z10, and takes pictures... but when i go to edit (at least with tilt shift) I can't see the picture. i think it needs to be reworked a bit before that one is ok.

The only other application I have installed that I have listed (there are a few) is Cribbage HD. It isn't the latest one available for the PB, but it works fine. Hopefully the dev of that one updates it (don't know how many cribbage players we have here, but the newer version lets you count your own cards, set muggins etc). I think it's more fun on the PB anyway. Bigger cards; easier to move stuff around. ;-)
    04-05-13 05:54 PM