Let's face it. Most BlackBerry users don't frequent forums and don't even know what version of os they have let alone if a new version is available until their carrier pushes it to them. Until then, they are happy what they have and live in blissful ignorance to the real BlackBerry world.

Enthusiasts like us who frequent BlackBerry forums and constantly look for the newest features and updates need to stop pining for our carriers to push updates and just get the latest leaks (I hate that term).

Look at it this way. The microwave oven or fridge in your kitchen probably has a forum and community out there dedicated to informing it's users of all the features and hacks their units can do but chances are you could care less unless there is a recall. Pressing certain codes on your microwave could possibly make it play the blue daube but you don't care, you just bought it to cook for and that's it. Same goes for your phone. Grandpa Joe probably doesn't care if att is late with the os and will still be content if it never arrived.

So I say again, carrier pushed updates are for NOOBS. Quit whining and get a leak.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 and SDTRMG like this.
    06-22-13 01:36 PM
    This is the attitude to bring BlackBerry back!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 01:40 PM
    +1

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 01:42 PM
    You do realize the enthusiasts who are aware of this are in the vast minority and will always be. Like 99% (just a guess) of users don't fall into that category so official apps and software updates are essential for blackberry to thrive.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-22-13 01:51 PM
    Ok... I'm not new to BlackBerry, but I've always been the 'good boy' keeping my phone carrier fresh, and silently cursing my carrier the whole way. But this att thing yesterday has pushed me over the edge. What leak do I get and where. Please be gentle. It's my first time.

Posted via CB10
    93Aero likes this.
    06-22-13 01:58 PM
    Ok... I'm not new to BlackBerry, but I've always been the 'good boy' keeping my phone carrier fresh, and silently cursing my carrier the whole way. But this att thing yesterday has pushed me over the edge. What leak do I get and where. Please be gentle. It's my first time.

Posted via CB10
    Try the latest one.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...-3-4-a-812706/

Anyway, I agree that carrier updating is the stupidest thing in the world. Ever since BB7 I've never stayed for long on Rogers/Fido OS; I don't think that Rogers and Vodafone Ubekibekibekibekistanstan have any particular difference in carrier testing, so why doesn't Rogers release it?
    bradu1 likes this.
    06-22-13 02:06 PM
    And again I wish the term "leaked" would die and we could go back to calling it an unofficial update. Leak just has a connotation of something being faulty, like a tire leak. I think this is the reason lots of users shy away from non carrier updates.

I propose that from now on, they be called non carrier affiliated or NFA updates.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG and Daniel Adkins like this.
    06-22-13 02:26 PM
    Let's face it. Most BlackBerry users don't frequent forums and don't even know what version of os they have let alone if a new version is available until their carrier pushes it to them. Until then, they are happy what they have and live in blissful ignorance to the real BlackBerry world.

Enthusiasts like us who frequent BlackBerry forums and constantly look for the newest features and updates need to stop pining for our carriers to push updates and just get the latest leaks (I hate that term).

Look at it this way. The microwave oven or fridge in your kitchen probably has a forum and community out there dedicated to informing it's users of all the features and hacks their units can do but chances are you could care less unless there is a recall. Pressing certain codes on your microwave could possibly make it play the blue daube but you don't care, you just bought it to cook for and that's it. Same goes for your phone. Grandpa Joe probably doesn't care if att is late with the os and will still be content if it never arrived.

So I say again, carrier pushed updates are for NOOBS. Quit whining and get a leak.

Posted via CB10
    I'd rather be a "NOOB" than a he/she at risk for a voided warranty and having a duct tape solution to problems I'm entitled to have fixed by a carrier-supported MR as a paying subscriber, but that's my opinion...

I'd rather take the route of petitioning and repeatedly voicing concerns in hopes (no matter how small) to improve the situation for all BlackBerry users, not just myself.

What is fact is, however, is that this thread is senseless and potentially insulting.

~STV
    tw1g_007, 93Aero, aming63 and 1 others like this.
    06-22-13 02:47 PM
    I'd rather be a "NOOB" than a he/she at risk for a voided warranty and having a duct tape solution to problems I'm entitled to have fixed by a carrier-supported MR as a paying subscriber, but that's my opinion...

I'd rather take the route of petitioning and repeatedly voicing concerns in hopes (no matter how small) to improve the situation for all BlackBerry users, not just myself.

What is fact is, however, is that this thread is senseless and potentially insulting.

~STV
    You gotta be kidding me. Duct tape solutions? Please get an old flip phone. How is a release candidate made by the manufacturer of the phone a "duct tape solution"?

Potentially insulting? You feel insulted by this? Must be tough to go through life with paper thin skin.
    Camelhmpz likes this.
    06-22-13 03:00 PM
    Does it really void the warranty? I heard otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 03:01 PM
    And again I wish the term "leaked" would die and we could go back to calling it an unofficial update. Leak just has a connotation of something being faulty, like a tire leak. I think this is the reason lots of users shy away from non carrier updates.

I propose that from now on, they be called non carrier affiliated or NFA updates.

Posted via CB10
    They're simply release candidates that carriers sit on and do nothing with.
    06-22-13 03:02 PM
    Does it really void the warranty? I heard otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    If your phone is completely shot from a software update, you have more issues than software.
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-22-13 03:03 PM
    What is the purpose of this rant? To prove that you like unreleased, unsupported OS?

I use unreleased OS' all the time. But I don't recommend them to users.

I hope you feel better. End of the day, it doesn't change anything.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-22-13 03:05 PM
    I am a noob because I am very busy and don't have time to mess with leaks and just wait for official ota's.

Thank you for clearing that up for me OP.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy *** Q10
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    06-22-13 03:12 PM
    What is the purpose of this rant? To prove that you like unreleased, unsupported OS?

I use unreleased OS' all the time. But I don't recommend them to users.

I hope you feel better. End of the day, it doesn't change anything.
    +100... These are my feelings.

I would use them comfortably but choose not to because I'd rather hold carriers to good customer service and if everyone that ever installed a leak repeatedly complained to their carrier instead (or in addition to), there is a chance we'd have an at least slightly improved situation in the US here by now. Also, I'd never tell someone to use a [insert your term of choice] release because a) different comfort levels of users on these boards and b) I call it duct tape because again, it isn't officially supported so you are advising someone to do something you cannot guarantee support...let alone anything for.

That's my opinion. What's fact? Well...

1) This thread is potentially insulting to some users on CB. I am not personally insulted by it, but I like to do my part in keeping the CB community friendly-oriented and free of elitest comments that put others down for decisions they make with their own devices.

2) Loading unofficial releases can be considered tampering with the device and as such may void your warranty if the carrier finds out. Should you ever need to send your device in for a hardware repair or replacement or even just need to bring it in to a store, I'd HIGHLY recommend restoring the official OS temporarily.

~STV
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    06-22-13 03:17 PM
    Thanks. You just took... a leak. Wipe yourself and begone.
    06-22-13 03:25 PM
    If your phone is completely shot from a software update, you have more issues than software.
    Software update and unofficial software leak installation using loaders is not the same thing... maybe to you it is. But leaks are quite harmless, there can be problems that an inexperienced person can make worse by not knowing how to deal with them. Which is why some people want official software so they have someone to call and complain to. Fully understandable, no need to force leaks onto anyone.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 03:38 PM
    Somebody sure has delusions of grandeur.Just because some people dont use leaked os's on their phones does not make them noobs. I know people who are tops in the telecommunications industry and they are far from noobs yet they stay on official os's. you need to come down off that high horse of yours. this thread is insulting and has no real relevance on the vast majority of users.
    Sequester#WN likes this.
    06-22-13 03:43 PM
    Speak for yourself slugger, and no more Red Bull for you today.
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-22-13 04:17 PM
    Lol. I agree carrier updates are for noobs.
    Real techies test 'unofficial releases of the BlackBerry OS'.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 04:28 PM
    What a pathetic post.

I had Android phones since the beginning and was flashing Firmware on a regular basis. However, I don't have that much time any more and that's why I bought the Z10. In so far your statement is pretty useless in my eyes.

On a side note it for me becomes more and more obvious what's the main difference between Android and BlackBerry forums. While in a forum like XDA developers problems are discussed and a solution is tried to be found in due course the opposite is true for the BlackBerry community. If someone posts a problem all the fanboys show up and write how fantastic the phone is and it's the user's fault. I don't want to read how great the phone works for some but how certain issues, which are obviously there, can be tackled.

I might be slightly exaggerating but this is really annoying. I would really prefer stronger moderation of the forums.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 04:33 PM
    I find this thread very insulting to EVERY member of CrackBerry. Just because one chooses to wait for an official release (it IS their job to support us remember???) it does not make any one of us a NOOB.

Please don't brag because you installed a leak. I used to build them for myself on my 9650. Do I go around insulting people who don't want to use them? No.

Please treat us all with respect here. We are here to learn and exchange ideas. I doubt we need to resort to name calling to get this accomplished.

Moderators are being made aware of this.
    93Aero, STV0726 and BergerKing like this.
    06-22-13 05:07 PM
    Just checked, my stove, oven, fridge, dishwasher and microwave do not have specific communities. The brand of the stove and dishwasher (Miele) does however. But I checked and they're running the latest software, the same stuff they shipped with

Posted via CB10
    draconis123 likes this.
    06-22-13 05:13 PM
    Members of these forums are to be treated with respect. Period. If you cannot put yourself in the shoes of others before you post, don't.
    06-22-13 06:03 PM