Hi All,

I just want to ask other Z10 users if they're having the same issues as me regarding pocket calling. This issue is now starting to annoy me to the point of almost selling the phone.

About 5 times in last few weeks, I've managed to pocket call random people by chance. Sometimes not realising for up to 10 - 15 minutes. Normally, it's right after I've unlocked the phone, checked some messages then locked it again. However; today's encounter was worse. I managed to some how activate the "emergency call" on the password screen! Does the Z10 not have motion/light detection where darkness would disable input to the display? I'm wondering whether my battery is being battered by the screen randomly turning on whilst in my pocket.

Along with the bug in the phone app (unable to switch between calls, contacts and dialling pad) and other problems; it may go back into its box and sold off to another unlucky customer.
    07-23-13 08:06 AM
    My pocket called 911 by accident once and one other phone contact.
    07-23-13 08:12 AM
    That's why I always get a pouch or holster for mine. BlackBerries have a magnet sleep feature that can be used to permanently set them in standby and ignore all presses except volume adjustments.

Alternatively, you can disable "Gestures when locked" in display settings.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    07-23-13 08:13 AM
    My Z10 has randomly both pocket dialed and sent Emails several times
    Frustrating!

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 08:17 AM
    That's why I always get a pouch or holster for mine. BlackBerries have a magnet sleep feature that can be used to permanently set them in standby and ignore all presses except volume adjustments.

Alternatively, you can disable "Gestures when locked" in display settings.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    I don't understand why this isn't default or the light sensor doesnt disable it when it goes dark. More and more, the Z10 seems less intuitive where other phones do this as standard.
    07-23-13 08:28 AM
    This is why I use a lock screen password.
    southlander likes this.
    07-23-13 08:37 AM
    I have that now. Do you have a time-out on it where you can unlock without password for a period of time after entering it?
    07-23-13 08:42 AM
    Get fakelock in BlackBerry world,
    It's amusing, and actually works in disabling your touch screen (while it's active)

CAREFUL: Pocket calling and emergency call by accident!-img_00000171.png

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 08:54 AM
    I have that now. Do you have a time-out on it where you can unlock without password for a period of time after entering it?
    I have set to lock after 10 min has elapsed. Keep your password simple like "aaa" and it's only a minor nuisance.
    07-23-13 09:05 AM
    I have set to lock after 10 min has elapsed. Keep your password simple like "aaa" and it's only a minor nuisance.
    That's where problem is. I'm some how unlocking with the motion bottom to up unlock swipe whilst it's in my pocket. Will have to keep it off for now.

Thanks for the suggestion "der_mit". It's sad that another app exists to try and solve the problem. This shouldn't happen by standard on any smartphone now.
    07-23-13 09:31 AM
    Nope never, even with the gesture on.
    If you're really worried, place your phone with the screen facing the outside not on your skin. Second, you can turn off gestures. This though, disables that great gesture I can't bear to let go. Basically when your phone' locked, slide from the bottom bezel up.
    This'll fix your problem, only way you can pocket dial now is if you hit the top unlock button, which ain't going to be happening.
    FantomLightning likes this.
    07-23-13 09:45 AM
    I've not had this happen either and I have gesture enabled. Maybe it's because I always have the glass part of the phone away from me so my leg isn't touching it. Do you have the glass part of the phone towards your leg? Is it dialing on its own or do you have your hands in your pocket?
    07-23-13 09:52 AM
    Disable gestures. Problem solved.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    07-23-13 10:01 AM
    That's where problem is. I'm some how unlocking with the motion bottom to up unlock swipe whilst it's in my pocket. Will have to keep it off for now.

Thanks for the suggestion "der_mit". It's sad that another app exists to try and solve the problem. This shouldn't happen by standard on any smartphone now.
    You can still place an emergency call from the locked screen, however. Hasn't happened to me, but I've pocket-dialed enough other contacts that I've reluctantly disabled gestures while locked. One of the things I love about the Z10 is its perfect pocket size.

Not sure how other phones handle it -- light sensor? You wouldn't be able to call emergency in the dark, then. That doesn't sound like the solution.
    07-23-13 10:04 AM
    I have never had the problem. But i always keep the screen facing inward, facing my skin as I am afraid of inadvertently walking into a table and damaging the screen....had a bad experience before.
    07-23-13 10:06 AM
    I also called 911 2,3 times until they call me back.
    I normally put it in a holster, which I have no such issue, but that time it was in my pocket.

Note:
    The lock screen password was enable. But on that lock screen there is spot for an emergency call. Acces to Emergency call at any time (even locked) is kind of a requirement
    07-23-13 10:15 AM
    I totally pocket dialed 911 TWICE in a row. Once I disabled gestures when locked it never happened again.
    07-23-13 10:33 AM
    I have had my Z10 since launch, and it spends 80% of the time in my front pocket. However, I have never had a random dial. I have gestures on, no lock password, and have the screen facing out. I do press the lock button before putting it on my pocket.

I have had the phone turn off while in my front pocket when wearing jeans. I think the lock button is getting pressed until the phone shuts down. Only other pocket problem I had was, I once sent the call to voice mail with an accidental "swipe up" while pulling the phone out of my pocket to answer the call.
    07-23-13 10:47 AM
    Go into Settings > Display

Set "Allow Gestures when Locked" and "Allow power button to unlock device" to off.
    07-23-13 10:51 AM
    I used to get a bunch of gibberish waiting to be sent or called...i then disabled gestures and never looked back. on the extra plus side, doing so added about another 2 hrs to the battery life. So i'm good.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 11:29 AM
    Since last one and half month I have pocket called emergency number so many times that now I'm scared of it. Got so many warnings from 911. Now I'm not even sure if they will pick up my call in real emergency or not

BlackBerry Z10 Posted via CB 10
    07-23-13 12:03 PM
    Yah, happened to me too, and my phone was locked but I guess it can still call 911.
    07-23-13 12:31 PM
    I don't understand why this isn't default or the light sensor doesnt disable it when it goes dark. More and more, the Z10 seems less intuitive where other phones do this as standard.
    Because if you were to try and use it at night, the phone wouldn't turn on.

I have this problem with my Q10 on phone calls. It senses when it's against your face, but if it's still dark when I take it off my face, the screen doesn't come on so I can't end the call.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    07-23-13 12:44 PM
    I once hit "Emergency Call" on my 9900. It was kinda scary considering I was in school and I heard a lady saying, "Hello? This is 911" coming from my pocket.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    07-23-13 12:45 PM
    Not an exaggeration: My Z10 took about 100 pics of the inside of my pocket and uploaded one to facebook along with a comment which was: ,,o+-

glad I found this thread. off to disable gesture
    07-24-13 11:32 AM
40 12