I dropped my z10 yesterday, cracked the upper corner of the screen and it will no longer recognize the downward swipe from the top bezel. I originally thought it was an OS issue and reloaded 10.3.0.296, but now I'm stuck on the Essential Gestures tutorial and I can't complete it (because I can't swipe down from the top bezel).

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get past the tutorial screen?
    A battery pull brings me back to the same spot. Waiting around doesn't seem to make the tutorial advance either.

Thanks,
    Greg
    07-19-14 12:05 AM
    As fa as I know you can't skip the tutorial screen
    But my friend said you can install dev os and can skip the tutorial screen

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 12:15 AM
    If you still have warranty you can take to service centre and repair it

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 12:16 AM
    I installed OS 10.3.0.700 DEV and I'm still stuck. The first tutorial screen appears (swipe up) and when I hit 'try it', it just proceeds to the next tutorial screen. However, pressing 'try it' (swipe down) doesn't skip to the next section of setup, it forces me to swipe down
    07-19-14 07:47 AM
    You might have to wipe the device and then you might be able to use Sachesi to reload the entire OS but leave out the Tutorial Bar file.

Although, if you can't swipe down, you might still have problems. The screen is designed with a "fused" surface to the swipe/touch sensor. So that in many cases a crack in the screen disables any of the touch functions, requiring a full screen replacement. Warranty does not cover breakage but insurance can.

Good luck in any event.

Sachesi can be found in the OS Leak subforum and a stick covers it and its use.
    Numero12 likes this.
    07-19-14 07:48 AM
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. All the other swipe functions work, just not 'down from the top bezel'. I just want to get the phone working in some capacity until I can get a replacement from work on Monday.

EDIT: any idea what the tutorial bar is called? there's no bar with 'tutorial' in the name.... why can't it ever be easy?
    Last edited by mijikai; 07-19-14 at 08:44 AM.
    07-19-14 07:55 AM
    Trying to find out from friend who omitted it in the install. Hopefully, she sees the bbm I just sent.....

edited to add: no reply yet, but looking at Device Monitor, the tutorial installed is approx 20.9MB. So you might look over bar files and see if anything is close to that size which MIGHT be it - Could be an interesting experiment!!!!!!

Further edited: there's a HOWTO bar file about the right size????
    Last edited by F2; 07-19-14 at 09:55 AM.
    07-19-14 09:36 AM
    Okay, here's some more info - be aware it might not work properly if it demands those files for initial setup.

You can remove or try

sys.retaildemoshim.....

firstlaunch .......

howto .....
    07-19-14 12:56 PM
    You might have to wipe the device and then you might be able to use Sachesi to reload the entire OS but leave out the Tutorial Bar file.

Although, if you can't swipe down, you might still have problems. The screen is designed with a "fused" surface to the swipe/touch sensor. So that in many cases a crack in the screen disables any of the touch functions, requiring a full screen replacement. Warranty does not cover breakage but insurance can.

Good luck in any event.

Sachesi can be found in the OS Leak subforum and a stick covers it and its use.
    I have this same problem but my screen isn't broken on my Z30
    07-24-14 09:46 AM
    I couldn't use Sachesi because my phone had OS 10.3.0.700 partially installed (stuck at the gesture screen). Because setup couldn't complete, I couldn't get the phone to be detected by my computer, preventing me from loading a new OS (minus the suggested BARs).
    I ended up borrowing a colleague's phone and grafting her display to my phone hardware, completing the setup and then downgrading to 10.3.1.296 (or something like that), and then returning her phone. Now, I can use my phone again, with the exception of swiping from the upper bezel.
    I'm glad to get this working again as our IT Manager has decreed that no-one else is getting blackberrys - our organization's new stance is iPhone. This is primarily due to availability of the Lync application on the iPhone. Sideloading the Android port doesn't give us all the functions we desire.

Thanks,
    Greg
    FF22 likes this.
    08-06-14 09:08 AM
    I'm in the same boat. Stuck in Essential Gestures tutorial. Can't swipe down due to cracked screen.
    Can Greg or someone elaborate on the solution of "grafting" someone else's phone display onto your own hardware?
    Tim
    02-03-15 09:09 PM
    People have replaced their own screens. Apparently, it is not that hard. But you need the EXACT screen. There are at least two versions. So you need to remove and check the serial/part number to get the right one.
    02-04-15 11:33 AM
    Yup. Several threads here and YouTube videos. Key items are those little Torx head screwdrivers. Impossible without them.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2072
    02-04-15 03:39 PM
    I see. So there's really no software workaround! Does anyone agree with me this seems to be a serious design flaw, where performing an OTA update can essentially brick a device that was 99% functional beforehand?
    02-05-15 09:24 PM
    They need to add a 'skip' button to the tutorial, to prevent such problems. Also BlackBerry users know the gestures and don't need to learn them again.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 03:18 AM
    I couldn't use Sachesi because my phone had OS 10.3.0.700 partially installed (stuck at the gesture screen). Because setup couldn't complete, I couldn't get the phone to be detected by my computer, preventing me from loading a new OS (minus the suggested BARs).
    I ended up borrowing a colleague's phone and grafting her display to my phone hardware, completing the setup and then downgrading to 10.3.1.296 (or something like that), and then returning her phone. Now, I can use my phone again, with the exception of swiping from the upper bezel.
    I'm glad to get this working again as our IT Manager has decreed that no-one else is getting blackberrys - our organization's new stance is iPhone. This is primarily due to availability of the Lync application on the iPhone. Sideloading the Android port doesn't give us all the functions we desire.

Thanks,
    Greg
    same problem here,what do you mean by "grafting her display to my phone hardware"?
    Further explanation will be appreciated since it worked for the op.
    02-28-17 01:36 AM
    I also have same problem with my bbz3..
    can't swipe down and I stuck at gesture essential screen after upgrading os to 10.3.3.2205 plz tell me solution for that plz
    08-03-17 06:01 AM