Heya patrick , been trying with updates, ran MS fix it, another error code- relating to OS service pack- I have SP 2 and it needs SP 2 (2). Can't get that on, as all other updates won't update.....
    Will look for a kind friend. Will try that......but agree somewhat with beakman.....man just need tow alk away from it until I have money for a new one, or a fix.....probably an updated OS. What a mess. I'll keep going......but .....
    Not an it expert so really, not getting anywhere.
    I understand link needs a clean and fully updated computer........I'll keep doing my best. Kindly HH.
    06-16-14 08:25 PM
    Hi patrick and beakman.
    Update.
    Patrick, I have now finally run and properly installed 64 new updates...after hours trolling through microsoft error posts....and found the solution. The computer is now fully updated.
    Prior to that I ran malwarebytes and found PUP.candy files and one trojan.agent file. They have been removed.
    Ran revo pro (athough I really don't know how to use this) ....put in blackberry desktop manager and ran scan and blackberry link and ran scan, and nothing for a forced uninstall.
    I am running Blackberry Extract- a software used to exctract bbm. And ips files from backups and dump texts into excel format. I have not deleted this software. Do you believe that this could compete with link?
    I have rebooted, re scanned and re updated. All is clean, running fully updated and well.

Sadly........link still has same error message and still rolls back.
    Any final suggestions boys?
    I really have done it all. I cannot find any further info on link and this error message and rollback...given the computer is well, and there seems to be 'no previous versions' why will it not install?
    Kindly HH.
    06-17-14 03:29 PM
    Hi guys.....
    I have just found this thread on the blackberry forum...
    I am not an IT person (though I have more confidence now after running over 50 command prompts to fix my windows update register issues!!)
    Is it possible to view the instructions in this link and tell me what your thoughts are? I think I can do most of it but I don't know how to open in edit text!! Lol.
    It is IDENTICAL to my issue.
    Thanks to Patrick though and beakman, I do have a clean and up to date computer none the less.....
    Here is the link to the thread for your opinions.
    BB Link Installation Error - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Kindly HH
    06-17-14 05:56 PM
    Hi guys.....
    I have just found this thread on the blackberry forum...
    I am not an IT person (though I have more confidence now after running over 50 command prompts to fix my windows update register issues!!)
    Is it possible to view the instructions in this link and tell me what your thoughts are? I think I can do most of it but I don't know how to open in edit text!! Lol.
    It is IDENTICAL to my issue.
    Thanks to Patrick though and beakman, I do have a clean and up to date computer none the less.....
    Here is the link to the thread for your opinions.
    BB Link Installation Error - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Kindly HH
    It sounds to me like the problem (being addressed in the thread you linked to) was caused by the usb driver being out of date or whatever. This goes along with my earlier suggestions. It seems that thread is simply asking you to find a log file and scroll thru it till you find this error code. Once you have found you log file, you can use Start/Aceesories/Notepad as a text editor to scroll thru the log file. It'll be interesting to hear what you find.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-14 09:14 PM
    Hi boys. Update.
    I followed as much of the blurb as I could from the thread I posted. In the log the words were identical and I tried to run what I could. Sadly I just couldn't follow the commands.
    I tried to do a system restore, but it wouldn't do it, and came back with an error . Malwares was still clean, and updates all OK. However, installs of bb link just rolled back, this time without an error message, and at the same point prior to the end of the install.
    I made the decision that though the computer was still functional, I was in too deep and getting deeper, unable to understand what commands I had done and where to go next.
    I took it to the man' to fix. I gave up. Paid the man $44 to do his diagnostics. He went on and on about how this could be a fatal hard drive error, how the laptop may need this and that...........my response was all I wanted was the bloody software on my laptop for blackberry link. Nothing more. Surely, it can't be that hard. Surely?
    I'll wait for the quote, and make a decision. Either fly blind with the phone, and find another backup method, if it,s rediculously expensive, get rid of the BB and go Droid, or try somehow to get a new laptop in a few months and use the 9900 until then, with no BBDTM either.
    A friend downloaded bb link onto her laptop, windows8., 64 bit, 10 month old, and she could install it, but it did have an error message, didn't give her a shortcut even though prompted to do so, and when she opened it, closed it and reopened it, it crashed, so she took it off immediately.
    Not a success.
    I appreciate that you have link running and I believe it is brilliant but I am yet to find someone who can or has installed it, successfully.
    So that's where I am at. No computer (on the Acer iconia a200 right now), and no idea if the man down the road in the shop can fix the installation.
    And I,m an artist, and I rely on the large laptop I have to use the screen for reference photo's to enlarge and get details.
    I'll post back when I hear from the it geek. (Who hates blackberries and asked me why I would bother). My response was because they're not a dumb smartphone. I also love my jeep. Which mechanics hate. I love telling them "it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand". I digress, but that's the story of my life! Lol.
    I hope there is a solution to this.

It sounds to me like the problem (being addressed in the thread you linked to) was caused by the usb driver being out of date or whatever. This goes along with my earlier suggestions. It seems that thread is simply asking you to find a log file and scroll thru it till you find this error code. Once you have found you log file, you can use Start/Aceesories/Notepad as a text editor to scroll thru the log file. It'll be interesting to hear what you find.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 05:30 AM
    Just came across this. Have it running on a Vista desktop and 8.1 lap top. But out of curiosity, has anyone tried installing in Safe Mode? Not sure if you can, but...
    06-18-14 07:54 AM
    That's good to know scrannel! Thank you. Good question too.
    06-18-14 05:24 PM
    Hi boys, update.

Ok, so I have my old computer back now, and have my gorgeous Q10 working, link working and all is well.
    The issues with my laptop were a faulty harddrive, faulty registry and corrupted files. The cost was $350 and they boys put in an upgraded HD, from 250 to 500 and reinstalled everything (except ALL of my BlackBerry backup files, why I don't know as I need those for court reasons so that I can use BlackBerry extract to extract texts).
    Basically, if BlackBerry link hadn't have 'alerted' me to the issues with my HD, it would have died imminently, and I would have lost everything with no backup. What a horrendous thought.
    So Patrick was on the money, link needs an updated, fully functional computer to work.
    I transfered most of everything from the old phone, bluetoothed the rest, and voila, job done.
    I have now spent thr last few days falling in love with this beautiful piece of art called the Q10 and I am simply overwhelmed by it's simplicity, intuitive soul, and smashing intelligence. It's an incredible piece of technology. Link is also quite brilliant. Extremely pleased.
    I have even enjoyed watching all of the video's of my baby on the TV using the micro HDMI. Outstanding.
    So back to link.i would have had no hope in hell of fixing the issues, and wonder what would have happened had link not let me know that it was quite 'ill' to begin with.
    Still loving blackberry.
    Shame that many of the apps I used on the 9900 are not available -yet- on the Q10.
    I'll just keep watching the BlackBerry and carckberry sites for news on that. In the meantime, you can't get me off this thing.lol.
    Stay well guys, and thank you enormously for being persistent that my computer had some issues. You could have saved a lifetime of photo's documents and data from being lost forever.
    Kindly HH.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    06-22-14 04:47 AM
    Really glad to hear you had a happy ending!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 12:22 PM
    Me too... but reinstalling the entire OS? New HD? OK... I presume you are now on 8.1.
    06-22-14 01:01 PM
    Try to disable Kaspersky antivirus or Internet security, it works for me.

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    06-22-14 08:06 PM
    Hey boys.....no I am still on vista ultimate. they only put in a new HD. Not OS. I am not a fan of windows 8 so I am pretty content that I didn't do that. Plus, an extra cost I could not afford. The reason my HD died is simple. I never turned my computer off. Ever. Lol. I'm a computer terrorist. And an IT persons worst nightmare. I have learned now. Stupid hey. Lucky too. Think of what I did to that poor hard drive over the past 10 years. Even more amazing that it lasted that long. I've learnt a great deal because of BlackBerry link. Lol.
    06-23-14 05:01 AM
    So... doesn't the title of this thread say you were on Win 8?

EDIT: ok, that was someone else.
    Last edited by scrannel; 06-23-14 at 08:20 AM.
    06-23-14 07:56 AM
    Hey boys.....no I am still on vista ultimate. they only put in a new HD. Not OS. I am not a fan of windows 8 so I am pretty content that I didn't do that. Plus, an extra cost I could not afford. The reason my HD died is simple. I never turned my computer off. Ever. Lol. I'm a computer terrorist. And an IT persons worst nightmare. I have learned now. Stupid hey. Lucky too. Think of what I did to that poor hard drive over the past 10 years. Even more amazing that it lasted that long. I've learnt a great deal because of BlackBerry link. Lol.
    It doesn't hurt to leave them on. 10 years is a long time anyway when it comes to computers.
    06-23-14 08:10 AM
    It doesn't hurt to leave them on. 10 years is a long time anyway when it comes to computers.
    Yes, think it was just "time". If you like, just set your computer to enter sleep mode after long periods.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-23-14 08:21 AM
    Hi scrannel, I will do the reset for sleep mode. Tell me, how would I do that so that it automatically 'sleeps' after say 30 mins of no action. Is that in the power saving modes? I'll have a play when I get 5 mins.
    As for the windows 8 thing, I found this thread researching the many issues I had. It wasn't the right place for me, but yourself and Patrick jumped in and offered qualified advice. So thank you. But I was always Vista. With a bung hard drive. Lol.
    06-25-14 03:21 AM
    Not worried, I have a Vista and an 8.1; I was the one who got confused. Yes, you should be able to go into Control Panel and select "Power". From there it will allow you to set it to turn off the hard drive after a specific time.
    06-25-14 05:44 AM
    Hi scrannel and Patrick. I have another 'issue'. This one I have spent another night searching the forum(s) and cannot get an answer.
    I plug the q10 in. Link sees it. Link will backup. (what is backs up I am unsure)
    Link cannot see ANY media files (music, videos) and cannot do a contacts sync.
    The 'sync relationships' swirly just keeps swirling, establishing a relationship.
    I am reluctant to do anything, given the issues I have had prior.
    If I turn on mass usb storage and drag and drop files from the computer to the bbq10, I can successfully get file ONTO the BlackBerry. I can also view files on the BlackBerry and drag and drop to user files on the computer.
    I can also 'bluetooth' contacts, one by one.
    Once I turn the usb mass storage back on, I can then start link again, the BlackBerry q10 is seen, but again no media files, can't contact sync and 'sync to' from computer files which link can see is a black hole, the sync relationship dooovy just keeps swirling, with no relationship ever being established, therefore no synch.
    All media files on the BlackBerry q10 through link are empty. No files seen by link.
    Nothing to help on forums.
    Any ideas??
    I transfered contacts and switched devices ok, some photo's and video's didn't go, but I used bluetooth.
    I have since taken photo's and videos on the q10 and now cannot get them onto the computer via link.
    No music files transfered on link when I did a device switch.

So late here now.
    Ahhhhhhhh. Link.
    Never been so frustrated.
    Any ideas?
    Kindly karina.
    06-26-14 08:35 AM
    i just installed it on my windows8.1
    06-26-14 08:51 AM
    Link doesn't work if the phone is in mass storage mode.

Link's calendar and contacts sync works with MS Outlook. Do you have MS Outlook installed on your computer? If not, then you can't use link's calendar & contact sync feature. It is designed to work with MS Outlook, the software program, not the new Microsoft online email service called Outlook.com.

For online services like outlook.com & Gmail, the calendar & contact sync is achieved thru the account settings, not thru Link.

For your "local" calendar & contact data, that should be backed up and restored using the Link backup & restore process, and it should have been handled by the device switch wizard.

So, A couple of questions for you to clarify:

Do you have MS Outlook on your computer?

For the calendar & contact data you are trying to deal with, is this data this is stored "locally" on your phone?

Do you use an online service like Gmail or outlook.com?

Regarding media files, I store them all on my memory card and I just use the Link media sync feature. May I suggest you read thru the Link help notes on how to set up the media sync relationships?
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 06-26-14 at 10:59 AM.
    06-26-14 10:13 AM
    Link doesn't work if the phone is in mass storage mode.
    I didn't know that. Kind of a dumb thing to do.
    06-26-14 11:11 AM
    I didn't know that. Kind of a dumb thing to do.
    Yeah, kinda, but it is what it is. When you go to turn on mass storage mode, this warning message pops up:

Cannot install blackberry link on windows 8-img_20140626_113345.png

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-26-14 12:35 PM
    Odd that you turn it on so your computer can read it yet have to turn it off for link to. Security by obscurity
    06-26-14 12:38 PM
    Hi Patrick. Ever so grateful for you info.
    Yes, I have outlook.
    I have gmails on the phone, and care not for those, in fact I I care for no emails, as all emails will arrive at all accounts including outlook via server.
    The BlackBerry seems to be deleting all emails after 7 days, who knows why????? Seems to be a setting at a server somewhere, NOT on the phone. I have set the phone for manual sync in settings- accounts- edit account- sync interval to stop this but it hasn't. Has to be with Iinet or vodafone.
    My sync I tried was with Outook. With link.
    Signed into outlook.
    Signed in BlackBerry ID.
    Phone seen in link.

As for the sync relationship, read everything. BlackBerry say right click on computer data in link and choose 'sync with' BlackBerry etc. If I choose 'copy to' no relationship established.
    Fine..... wit the 'sync relationsip being established' wheel just keeps spinning. Does this for the Media on the q10 as well- no media seen by link, and no sync relationships.
    Have I missed something? Is there any other way to set up sync relationship? There is no other way according to BlackBerry online and nothing in the forums.
    That is why I turned on mass storage, to ensure that the device was seen by my computer so I could manually do it. Not to use with link.
    Does wi-fi affect this sync? Bluetooth?
    I only use USB to backup, but 'wi-fi' is ticked in link, and is also on the phone in link settings however access to storage setting is not on for access via wi-fi.
    My computer is paired with the phone for bluetooth and Link, in Link. I can see all files and folders in Link. I just can't see any files or folder in the Q10 in link and cannot drag and drop (sync relationship establishing keeps swirling).
    Finally, I have 'reset' the relationship by right clicking on computer files and selecting 'sync to bb' and with no luck.

Nothing explaining how else to 'set up sync relationship '.

Was that info ok Patrick?Thanks so much for your continued help! Kindly karina.
    06-26-14 04:32 PM
    Sorry Patrick, one more thing. When you say contacts stored 'locally' on my phone do you mean on the SIM or the media card?
    All contacts appear to be on the media SD card and transferred with data during data transfer at device switch . ( I could not do a device switch due to oldie being the 9900. I had to do a data transfer, which took everything except all music and some photo's which I have to assume were stored on the 9900 phone not the media card- so no transfer at device switch from the beginning, though contacts and calender went across from 9900???? .)
    06-26-14 04:44 PM
79 1234