Hi all

Just got my Z10 here at work where we use an Enterprise WPA2 WiFi network. Unfortunately it won't connect. It gets to "Attempt 1 of 3 - Associating" and eventually times out after about 1 minute with an error (generic "Connection attempt timed out"). I have full signal, and my Android phone connects in a few seconds.

The only way I could get through the first time setup was to create a wireless Hotspot on my other phone and connect to that.

Any ideas on how to find out the support for this?

Thanks

n2c
    02-04-13 07:27 AM
    Could it be certificates? WPA2 requires certs on the handset in order to connect I believe and the BB10 ones may be missing a few??
    02-04-13 07:34 AM
    Replying to my own post. From my networks people:

The presence of the Wi-Fi direct == enabled capability flag in the beacon frames for the SSID prevents the device associating. Removing the capability flag lets it associate and get an IP address.

Our kit is made by Cisco - not sure of the exact part numbers.
    Last edited by nothin2seehere; 02-04-13 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Clarifying the fix.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    02-04-13 07:42 AM
    Could it be certificates? WPA2 requires certs on the handset in order to connect I believe and the BB10 ones may be missing a few??
    It certainly used to be the case with the older BB OS 6 and earlier I think. I had to sync a Verisign cert to the device which was a very tedious process as I'm sure you know
    02-04-13 07:42 AM
    Seems like you may have your culprit already - but I just created a WPA2 Enterprise setup myself and connected with a user/password fine. So I think it may be something specific to your setup rather than a general feature issue.

Update the thread, maybe others will have this problem...
    02-04-13 08:21 AM
    Thanks richbayliss.

I agree it is something to do with our config, but I doubt I'm going to be able to convince the team to change a setting on all the APs that might have negative consequences for other users.

No, I'm going to have to contact Blackberry and log a support call, and somehow avoid being told to turn it off and on again, reset to defaults, change password, try different users etc
    02-04-13 08:40 AM
    Would be interested to see what becomes of this.
    02-05-13 03:11 AM
    How do you disable checking certificates in the Z10? That's what I need to do to connect to our WPA2Enterprise network. I was able to do that with my 9800 Torch, but can't find where to do that on my Z10.

Any ideas?
    02-08-13 11:47 AM
    How do you disable checking certificates in the Z10? That's what I need to do to connect to our WPA2Enterprise network. I was able to do that with my 9800 Torch, but can't find where to do that on my Z10.

Any ideas?
    If you disable certificate checking, you ruin the security model. It's like disabling the antivirus on your computer because you don't like it telling you that your subscription is expired.
    02-08-13 03:54 PM
    But I need to do that in order to connect to our network. I didn't create the dawn thing; I'm just trying to connect to it.
    02-08-13 06:27 PM
    If it's failing due to certificate checking because your company is using WPA-2 Enterprise with x.509 certificates, the proper way to get it working is to import your company's Radius server SSL certificate into the device, if your company is using an internal certificate authority. (If it were a traditional public CA, the certificate would be recognized automatically.)

In legacy BBOS, there were I believe 3 main ways to import an SSL cert: via a special function in Desktop Manager/Blackberry Desktop, via an LDAP server, or via an email message.

In BB10, there is a page in security settings where certificates can be imported, I don't have a detailed document but here is a page that shows a screenshot:

Import Certificates on the bb10 device - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Here is what page 45 of the Z10 user guide says:

� If you use PEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, or EAP-TTLS to connect to a Wi-Fi network, check that you installed the root
    certificate for the certificate authority server that created the certificate for the authentication server. The root
    certificate must be installed on your device before you can connect to the network. For more information, talk to your
    administrator.
    � If you use EAP-TLS to connect to a Wi-Fi network, check that you installed your authentication certificate on your
    device. The authentication certificate must be installed on your device before you can connect to the network. For
    more information, talk to your administrator.
    polgara59 and aziandevil like this.
    02-08-13 07:21 PM
    Here are some other links to discussions and documentation about importing SSL certs. The process seems to be similiar (perhaps not identical) to the one used on the Playbook:

Re: Self-signed Certificates - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

KB26515-How to import security certificates on the BlackBerry PlayBook

Security Certificates for Your BlackBerry PlayBook - For Dummies
    polgara59 and aziandevil like this.
    02-08-13 07:52 PM
    Okay, I did some more checking. The instructions for personal laptops to connect to our network says to uncheck "Validate server certificate." I'm not going to get any help from our IT guys because they only support iPhones. My Playbook works in our network, but for the life of me, I can't remember what I did to get it to work (that was almost 2 years ago!).

The network is, as noted by Omnitech (thanks for your advice!), WPA2-Enterprise, subtype PEAP, inner link Auto. On my Playbook, I have no CA certificates or VPN profiles selected. It automatically obtains IP address and allow inter-access point handover.

On my 9800, I was able to disable certificate validation for this network, which then allowed me to connect to our work network.

In the grand scheme of things, I can live without a wifi connection on my phone at work, but it *would* be nice to have if I can figure it out (with some help from some very bright people here at Crackberry, of course!).
    02-09-13 01:29 PM
    The instructions for personal laptops to connect to our network says to uncheck "Validate server certificate."
    Hah, well if that's what your I.T. people are saying, I guess they aren't that serious about security anyway. Pity I don't know how to turn that off on the Z10 since it doesn't appear to be in the manual and I can't get one here yet.

I'm not going to get any help from our IT guys because they only support iPhones. My Playbook works in our network, but for the life of me, I can't remember what I did to get it to work (that was almost 2 years ago!).
    Figures on the iPhone thing. No wonder they have no idea how anything else works.

The network is, as noted by Omnitech (thanks for your advice!), WPA2-Enterprise, subtype PEAP, inner link Auto. On my Playbook, I have no CA certificates or VPN profiles selected. It automatically obtains IP address and allow inter-access point handover.
    Good to know. If I find out anything more I'll try to remember to post it here.
    polgara59 likes this.
    02-09-13 06:44 PM
    Got it figured out and was able to connect to the work wife today. I went back and dug deeper into the settings on my PlayBook and my 9800, kept playing and finally got it to work!

Thanks for the advice!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 07:40 PM
    Got it figured out and was able to connect to the work wife today. I went back and dug deeper into the settings on my PlayBook and my 9800, kept playing and finally got it to work!

Thanks for the advice!
    Glad you got it working. So do you remember where the setting was, by chance, for the benefit of other people with that issue?
    02-13-13 12:10 AM
    I seem to be having the same issue. Care to share any more information for the settings that worked?

Thanks
    03-27-13 06:04 PM
    Friend just picked up a Q10. Connects to the wireless just fine. Still cannot get my Z10 connected even with the 10.1 firmware.

FYI, the certificates are not internally signed, but from a public CA.
    05-16-13 03:32 PM
    Friend just picked up a Q10. Connects to the wireless just fine. Still cannot get my Z10 connected even with the 10.1 firmware.

FYI, the certificates are not internally signed, but from a public CA.

Quite strange that your friend with a Q10 can connect and you can't even with 10.1. Weird...
    05-16-13 09:51 PM
    It's utterly bizarre. I can't believe the hardware is software is so different.. I might try a factory reset. My z10 is hardly customised anyway.
    05-17-13 04:52 AM
    Just got my Z10 here at work where we use an Enterprise WPA2 WiFi network. Unfortunately it won't connect. It gets to "Attempt 1 of 3 - Associating" and eventually times out after about 1 minute with an error (generic "Connection attempt timed out"). I have full signal, and my Android phone connects in a few seconds.
    I have exactly the same behavior with a Z30 with WPA2, EAP-TTLS and PAP. I connect fine with other devices.
    Maybe it's the certificate as pointed by others here. Will try that...
    04-17-17 03:15 PM