Greetings,

I've had my Z10 for two days and Playbook for 14 months and love them both except that I cannot add my work IMAP account (a university) to either device.

For the Playbook I tried getting assistance from my BB employee brother and IT at work (so theoretically have the correct server info). IT does not 'officially' support a BYOD of any flavour although they have some suggestions for setting up an iPhone. As far as I know at least some of my iPhone colleagues cannot add their university accounts to their devices. I am uncertain about my Android colleagues but I've not heard of any problems. I am the sole BB person.

After numerous attempts of adding my university IMAP account to my Playbook I gave up because, thankfully, I could bridge from my BB9700, which, by the way, was SIMPLE and EASY to add my university account to. This includes following my IT's iPhone instructions, which were comparatively simple to what is found in the BB10 fields. My service provider is Telus Alberta. However, I am now at a time of reckoning as my trusty 9700 was traded in for my Z10 and I find myself in the same paradigm as my Playbook: no integrated work email.

There are numerous threads on adding Cogeco and Telus email accounts but they do not appear to apply to my situation. I've tried all permutations suggested on the Crackberry and BB Support forums but don't understand what Telus' servers have to do with it. I use Telus for my phone/data (BB10) and Shaw at home for internet (Playbook). Work email should be separate from these service providers, no different from Gmail, Yahoo, or any other email provider is separate and accessible from any internet provider, correct? BTW, adding my Gmail account, including contacts and calendars, was seamless and fast.

My service provider has not changed. My work email has not changed. My BB OS has changed so BB appears to be the issue, not my service provider, i.e., Telus. Am I the only one having IMAP account issues? Does anyone have some suggestions on how to add an IMAP account to a BB10 and/or a Playbook, even with some screen captures of filled fields (without visible passwords, of course
    )? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best[/COLOR]
    02-17-13 10:20 AM
    I can't add my work IMAP either, but I've been told flat out by our IT people that they only officially support iGadgets, even though there are Android and BB apps available for the email software we use. I can't even forward my work mail to another account. But I look at it this way -- if you won't support other devices, don't expect those with other devices to respond to work mail when they are away from the office!
    copperoak likes this.
    02-17-13 10:33 AM
    I wish the not responding thing applied to me, as I'm a prof and it's the students who get shafted if I can't answer them off-hours!

The frustrating thing is THERE WAS NO PROBLEM ADDING THESE TYPES OF WORK EMAIL ACCOUNTS with pre-QNX/BB10 OS'! Apologies for the shouting!
    02-17-13 11:09 AM
    Hit up official Blackberry support forums for Z10, get the word out that there is an issue. Maybe you can get someone from Blackberry to take up the cause and really look into the issue. As you mentioned you are a prof, it would be wise for someone from Blackberry to assist, if you can use/show off the Z10 to students it can only help drive home the idea of them switching from icrap.
    copperoak likes this.
    02-17-13 11:22 AM
    For those that added the email accounts on pre 10 software, we're the a counts possibly set as owa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    02-17-13 11:32 AM
    If the account was setup as OWA on your old BB via BIS then you will not be able to access the acount via BB10 or PlayBook. The BIS was logging into the OWA and getting e-mails via the web interface then sending them to the phone. With BIS now gone for e-mail in BB10, so is this capability. Unless your IT either has BES10, or the ability to get to the mail server from the Internet with IMAP, POP or EAS then you won't be able to get your e-mail.
    02-17-13 12:42 PM
    [COLOR="#40E0D0"] I wish the not responding thing applied to me, as I'm a prof and it's the students who get shafted if I can't answer them off-hours!
    I have people who should be able for contact me when I'm away from work too, but if I'm away from home and don't have my laptop or my iPod, I don't see my email. It's just friggin' annoying.

Posted via CB10
    copperoak likes this.
    02-17-13 02:58 PM
    I wasn't having any luck either BUT try using port 993.
    I tried everything and couldn't get it to work (still waiting for the phone to come back to me to test though). The school uses Outlook web app through Exchange. What I read was to login on a computer and click on Options then See All Options. As a link there was Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access... which had the settings for the various protocols. This is where I found port 993 which is different than the default of 443 or something.

So again make sure the port is correct not just the usual email address and server address.
    02-17-13 03:09 PM
    If it has to do with Telus don't use a password or user name in the smtp settings. Smtp.xxxxxx.xxx. Port 25 and if you are using imap use port 143

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 04:12 PM
    I'm a student and I've had problems adding my edu email on my playbook. . .I'll get back to you when I visit the IT guys. . .
    anon(4018671) and copperoak like this.
    02-17-13 04:41 PM
    Not certain what OWA means, but thanks for the info CB geniuses!

Also not certain about having added my address using BIS on my 9700, just followed the instructions which did not include anything about servers and ports.

I can log in to my uni account via Google browser on my Zed or PB but no integration = FAIL on both devices.

I will try fooling with the ports again, plus talk to our reluctant IT folk, but if the loss of BIS is the cause and not my bumbling, then this is a Big Fail.
    02-17-13 07:59 PM
    Not certain what OWA means, but thanks for the info CB geniuses!

Also not certain about having added my address using BIS on my 9700, just followed the instructions which did not include anything about servers and ports.

I can log in to my uni account via Google browser on my Zed or PB but no integration = FAIL on both devices.

I will try fooling with the ports again, plus talk to our reluctant IT folk, but if the loss of BIS is the cause and not my bumbling, then this is a Big Fail.
    OWA is Outlook Web Access. Does your e-mail provider have any information on how to setup Outlook, or Outlook Express to work?
    02-17-13 08:11 PM
    Thanks for the decipher on OWA. I will have to check with the university IT folk on that but the whole institution is on Groupwise by Novell, so I suspect not.

Best
    02-17-13 10:22 PM