When you are replacing your battery in your Z10, do you need to turn the phone off first? Or can you just take the battery out without turning the phone off?

Is there any long term negative effects for taking the battery out without turning the phone off?

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 12:06 AM
    I don't think you have to turn off the phone but I have read somewhere in CB that it's recommended to turn it off 1st.

I'm sure you will get some good advice so please don't take my word for it.

I personally do both and have not noticed any difference.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 12:44 AM
    I had interpreted the Subject slightly differently when I read it. I now wonder if you have the Charging bundle and you plug it in as a power bank (plug in usb charging port) and you remove the battery and place yet a 3rd battery inside will the phone stay "awake" so to speak and not have to reboot/restart???

I'd guess the more graceful method would be to power it off (apps close nicely) and replace the battery.
    04-26-15 09:00 AM
    The battery can't be hot swapped. That is the phone will reboot each time you pull the battery even you have it plugged into a power source.

It is also highly advisable to turn off the phone before taking out the battery. The risk of pulling the battery while the phone is running is that the OS may doing updating and indexing in the background while you unknowingly pull the battery. This could corrupt whatever the OS is working on.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    04-26-15 10:49 AM
    I'm swap batteries 2-3 times a day ad have done so for over a year. Don't know that I've ever turned the phone off first. And have yet to see any negative consequences from this.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 01:44 PM
    Pulling the battery while the phone is on is fine. Z10 doesn't have the volume up/down hard reset function. Pulling the battery is the equivalent of a hard reset. This is information directly from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 01:52 PM
    Pulling the battery while the phone is on is fine. Z10 doesn't have the volume up/down hard reset function. Pulling the battery is the equivalent of a hard reset. This is information directly from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10

That only applies to the STL100-1 model. All other models DO have a hard reset.

Work Wide and Prosper
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 05-01-15 at 10:28 AM.
    Conan69 likes this.
    04-26-15 01:54 PM
    I agree pulling the battery is safe and I believe it is equivalent to a hard reset but on a Z10 you Can do a hard reset with the volume keys as well.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jberb1984; 04-27-15 at 07:33 AM.
    Conan69 likes this.
    04-26-15 01:55 PM
    I'm swap batteries 2-3 times a day ad have done so for over a year. Don't know that I've ever turned the phone off first. And have yet to see any negative consequences from this.

Posted via CB10
    Just because you haven't seen any negative consequences doesn't mean that there haven't been any, or that someone else wouldn't.

Watch how long it takes from the time you select shutdown until the phone actually turns off. Remember that the phone has a dual core CPU faster than 1GHz. Why would the OS engineers have it do that while shutting down if it wasn't necessary or at least desirable to do all that before removing the power.

QNX is very robust in the face of power failure, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea to test it all the time.

Edit:

Jberb1984, I just skimmed through your posting history and noted you have a number of issues on releases that I've never had. Is it not possible that some of these issues were as a result of the repeated battery pulles, but you just never put the two together? Just because pully the battery was accepted on BBOS, mainly because there was no way to restart the system once it had hung, doesn't mean it is a good idea on BB10. They are completely different systems.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    04-26-15 02:01 PM
    I've never had a big issue with doing a hot pull but I did notice something about a year ago that made me stop. I would look at my storage details and would see an ever growing amount of used space listed as "other".

It wasn't a lot, and never caused an issue, but I didn't seem to have a way of clearing it. I did a security wipe (not specifically for this issue, but just to familiarize myself with the process) and it cleared this other memory.

I theorized that the other space was working memory that wasn't cleared on the hot battery pulls. I stopped doing that and since then, haven't seen this other memory space grow.

I do still do the odd hot battery pull , but by and large I have just gotten into the habit of doing a full shutdown when swapping batteries.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    04-27-15 12:37 PM
    Personally I think battery pulls should only be done if the phone is "frozen." And never when something goes wrong and the phone can still be turned off. A while back there was a discussion of "the blue screen of death". My first Z10 would occasionally throw a blue screen, and I let it restart itself. Several people who did battery pulls for blue screens bricked their phones.
    04-28-15 08:31 AM
    The battery can't be hot swapped. That is the phone will reboot each time you pull the battery even you have it plugged into a power source.

It is also highly advisable to turn off the phone before taking out the battery. The risk of pulling the battery while the phone is running is that the OS may doing updating and indexing in the background while you unknowingly pull the battery. This could corrupt whatever the OS is working on.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong. It can be. Have been doing this for over 10 years with all my work blackberries starting with this one. Isn't she beautiful?

Can the Z10 battery be hot swapped?-blackberry-850.jpg
    04-28-15 03:24 PM
    Wrong. It can be. Have been doing this for over 10 years with all my work blackberries starting with this one. Isn't she beautiful?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackBerry 850.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	350022
    Don't know which of my two points that your comment refers. And be sure that we are talking about a Z10.

As to the battery being hot-swappable, it is there for everyone to test it out themselves. There is no need to agree or disgree. Plug in your phone, without turning your phone off, remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, put the battery back in. The phone will reboot.

The other point of mine is only an advice. Do whatever suit you with your phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 03:51 PM
    Don't know which of my two points that your comment refers. And be sure that we are talking about a Z10.

As to the battery being hot-swappable, it is there for everyone to test it out themselves. There is no need to agree or disgree. Plug in your phone, without turning your phone off, remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, put the battery back in. The phone will reboot.

The other point of mine is only an advice. Do whatever suit you with your phone.

Posted via CB10
    There is only one point/question raised in this thread. Can a battery in Z10 blackberry be hot swapped or not? You definitively claimed that it cannot be hot swapped which is incorrect. That's why there is a need to disagree. I've been using Z10 as my everyday device both at work and outside work for over 2 years now and hot swap batteries all the time without any ill effects whatsoever just like my other co-workers who use Z10 on a daily basis. The reason I mentioned previous blackberry devices with removable blackberries was because all of them allowed their batteries to be hot swapped without any negative consequences.
    Please do not make bold statements that carry wrong information.
    04-28-15 05:11 PM
    There is only one point/question raised in this thread. Can a battery in Z10 blackberry be hot swapped or not? You definitively claimed that it cannot be hot swapped which is incorrect. That's why there is a need to disagree. I've been using Z10 as my everyday device both at work and outside work for over 2 years now and hot swap batteries all the time without any ill effects whatsoever just like my other co-workers who use Z10 on a daily basis. The reason I mentioned previous blackberry devices with removable blackberries was because all of them allowed their batteries to be hot swapped without any negative consequences.
    Please do not make bold statements that carry wrong information.
    So, you're saying you can remove the battery, put in another and it's still running -- does not go off and require a restart? That's hot swapping.
    04-28-15 07:45 PM
    So, you're saying you can remove the battery, put in another and it's still running -- does not go off and require a restart? That's hot swapping.
    Thanks for clarifying on my behalf.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 08:57 PM
    Thanks for clarifying on my behalf.

Posted via CB10
    Wrong again. In this case hot swapping suggests that you can remove a battery from a device, blackberry Z10 in this case, without having to shut down that device first to prevent it from being damaged. Many devices may get damaged either on hardware side or software side if one does it. Just please read the OP's question again. He/she is concerned if there is a possibility of device damage if such action is taken. No one is suggesting Z10 continuing to run when the battery is removed. Do not get this compared with lets say hot swapping a hard drive on a server. Different hardware/software approach. An OS is designed to continue running while storage gets removed/reinserted into a bay. Apples and oranges.
    You are welcome!
    Last edited by Russkii33; 04-28-15 at 10:23 PM.
    04-28-15 10:06 PM
    Sorry, you are out in the weeds, hot-swapping mean is "stays hot", or stays on while the battery is swapped. That's the whole point. Whether you CAN or not is the issue. Which is why others were suggesting keeping it on external battery (bundle) while you swapped the battery -- to keep it "hot". I do not think you can.

Is there damage from "cold swapping" the battery? The answer seems mixed, but on legacy devices you have to actually pull the battery to truly shut it off[ you can shut off the Z10 with the on/off button which is the recommended procedure.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    04-29-15 05:25 AM