Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Omnitech
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can you talk & browse at the same time? Verizon

So, I just discovered that I can talk and browse at the same time without being connected to wifi...is this the case for everyone? I'm with Verizon, BTW. Do all 4G LTE phones allow you to talk and browse at the same time?

Posted via CB10
    Current loves: Playbook & Torch
    Past love(s): Storm 2 & Curve 8330
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yup all phones can, so long as you're on 3g or better I believe. Or might be 4G I'm sure someone else will clarify..

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

yup, i've voice called, surf internet and sent a pic thru bbm all at the same time.

BB multi-tasking >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Dragon Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by ali1t View Post
    Yup all phones can, so long as you're on 3g or better I believe.

No, NOT all phones/carriers can.

With a CDMA carrier like Verizon or Sprint in the USA, if we're talking about 3G, they are using a network technology that does not support it. (EVDO Rev A)

With 3GPP carriers like AT&T and European carriers if we're talking about 3G, they CAN support simultaneous voice and data and often do.

In terms of 4G (a term which has been re-defined under pressure from carriers because they wanted to be able to claim "4G" even though their tech doesn't meet the traditional definition), all carriers potentially have the ability to support simultaneous voice and data.

That doesn't mean they all do, nor does it mean that all DEVICES do. For example, the iPhone 5 on Verizon 4G LTE DOES NOT support simultaneous voice and data.

The Blackberry Z10 on Verizon DOES support simultaneous voice and data.

Hope that helps.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

That definitely clarifies things! Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Current loves: Playbook & Torch
    Past love(s): Storm 2 & Curve 8330
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts

All LTE phones on Verizon can while on LTE except the iphone 5.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

iphone lost once again
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MsTiaLia View Post
    So, I just discovered that I can talk and browse at the same time without being connected to wifi...is this the case for everyone? I'm with Verizon, BTW. Do all 4G LTE phones allow you to talk and browse at the same time? I've had no problem doing both simultaneously. I'm on T-Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    Focus Your Mind!
    CrackBerry Addict

One important note, as in current implementation, 4G/LTE does NOT support voice as in traditional sense: circuit switching.

VoLTE (voice over LTE) is being piloted around the carriers, and best to my knowledge, CSFB (circuit switch fall back) is on the field: you roam into 2G/3G network when you get a phone call.

Back to post, most mobile phone support simultaneous data and voice: class C phones (or is it class A...).

Posted via CB10
    Dragon Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by digitalman101 View Post
    One important note, as in current implementation, 4G/LTE does NOT support voice as in traditional sense: circuit switching.

VoLTE (voice over LTE) is being piloted around the carriers, and best to my knowledge, CSFB (circuit switch fall back) is on the field: you roam into 2G/3G network when you get a phone call.

Back to post, most mobile phone support simultaneous data and voice: class C phones (or is it class A...)

VoLTE is not necessary for simultaneous voice/data. What VZW devices are doing are running both the IS-95/CDMA radio and the LTE radio at the same time to achieve that.

The downside is higher battery usage. Though it's a lot better than the less integrated LTE radio chips that the 1st-generation devices were using. Apparently VZW is not planning to roll out VoLTE until 2014. Same thing with HD Audio.

(Always love it when a company takes away functionality progressively and then 10 years later announces with great fanfare that their "kewl new feature" is something you used to get 10 years ago. The carriers have been so bent on lowering the bandwidth usage for voice calls the last 10-15 years using more and more aggressive codecs, that back in the days of my old Motorola MicroTac and StarTac I could hear people way better than I can today...)