I just realized that if my phone was lost or stolen, all my pics are on media card. Is there anyway to do something to protect that data? I don't want to have to enter in a password or something every time I access something on the card with the phone but maybe a code or password that has to be entered if someone pulls it out and tries to use it? Is anything like this even possible?
    04-03-13 06:57 AM
    I just realized that if my phone was lost or stolen, all my pics are on media card. Is there anyway to do something to protect that data? I don't want to have to enter in a password or something every time I access something on the card with the phone but maybe a code or password that has to be entered if someone pulls it out and tries to use it? Is anything like this even possible?
    yea you can encrypt the memory card!

Settings > security > encryption > toggle media card encryption to "ON"
    lang007 likes this.
    04-03-13 06:58 AM
    yea you can encrypt the memory card!

Settings > security > encryption > toggle media card encryption to "ON"
    quick reply, thanks. how exactly does that work? does it only ask for a password when first inserted?

also, it says encrypted media cards will become inaccessible if the device is wiped. does that mean i need to pull the card out when just doing updates?
    04-03-13 07:03 AM

When the device is on, the encryption key is loaded into memory and the OS uses it to decrypt the filesystem contents, as required when any file is read or written.

An app with shared file permission gets access to all files in the corresponding partition (e.g. personal or work) on your device and SD card. The encryption doesn't block this and is not meant to.

The encryption is to protect against the SD card being read outside the device, e.g. if someone steals your phone and doesn't know your password, so they remove the SD card and try to read it in a PC.

As always, if you don't trust the vendor of an app, you should not enable the "Shared Files" permission, period. (Nor any other permission that grants access to your personal data.)

This is a helpful response to understand what it does/mean!
    niravzaveri likes this.
    04-03-13 07:17 AM
    In order to encrypt, I believe you need to also have a device password (though I could be wrong on that). Whenever you try to access the media card on any device (eg. computer), you will need to enter the device password.

When encrypting your media card, if the device is wiped, the files become inaccessible and the card needs to be formatted before it can be used again. If the device updates, it is not being wiped and therefore you won't have to turn off the encryption. I have used encryption pretty much since day 1. It doesn't slow the phone down like it sometimes did on older BBs.

JB
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    04-03-13 07:18 AM
    The reason an encrypted media card is un accessible by the device after a wipe is because the BlackBerry will now longer contain the encryption key needed.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 07:36 AM
    I have 2 questions:

1) Does encryption have any effect on performance?

2) If I break my phone or something happens to it, is there a way I can back up the encryption key so that I can retrieve the files on the SD card, or does it become completely useless and all files are lost? If the encryption key is entirely based on the phone's password and nothing else, would setting the same password on the new phone allow me to retrieve the files?
    04-03-13 08:06 AM
    I have 2 questions:

1) Does encryption have any effect on performance?

2) If I break my phone or something happens to it, is there a way I can back up the encryption key so that I can retrieve the files on the SD card, or does it become completely useless and all files are lost? If the encryption key is entirely based on the phone's password and nothing else, would setting the same password on the new phone allow me to retrieve the files?
    1. Shouldn't have any really noticeable effect on performance

2. Placing the media card and setting the device password the same would not work. That would not be very secure if that's how it could be manipulated. Ideally you could get into the habit of backing up your media card to computer during regular intervals.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 06:08 PM
    If the media card is encrypted can I still plug it i to a card reader in a pc and enter the password and view the content or is it only viewable from my phone after its encrypted?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 10:57 PM
    Should be able to see the files. I would have to double check with link. But on older BlackBerry devices you could use these files feature so it could be copied.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 06:19 AM
    If the files are encrypted, you can't access them from an SD card reader. They will only work through the BB connection.
    04-05-13 06:34 AM
    this is very poor,

blackberry needs to creat a software that would allow people to get hold of files on encrypted phones. i was stuck on crash loop for a week b4 reloading the oS i couldnt even drcrypt as the phone kept rebooting and stuff. now i cant get to the files. the way i see it if you still have the OG phone and rem the pass word u used, blackberry should allow you to retrive the files espsecially if the fault from a defective phone

totally unacceptable
    05-03-13 11:56 AM
    1. Shouldn't have any really noticeable effect on performance

Posted via CB10
    False

And I used to have this enabled on my old curve, and if you take a video, it will take a while to save.

It doesn't need device password. It encrypts the data so that it can only be opened on that phone.

If you were to take out the card and put it in a computer, the files will have a .rim file extension.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 157676
    05-03-13 12:17 PM
    How can I give a lock for my Blackberry z10 SD card ?
    03-27-15 07:40 AM
    Lock the device and encrypt device and external sd card. There is NO app that can just lock the SD card itself.
    03-27-15 08:28 AM
    How can I give a lock for my Blackberry z10 SD card ?
    There is no need to lock your sim. As soon as you remove it, it won't be readable cause the encryption key is stored on your phone

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 08:32 AM
    Encryption is seen to marginally slow down system functions. I have therefore decrypted my media card.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 08:42 AM