Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By technofan
  • 1 Post By mugen27
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can I post an event on my phone calendar that goes to google calendar?

Hi everyone,

I have bought my wife a Z10 and we have managed to set up google calendar accounts fine. Now any events from google calendar are being seen on the Z10 calendar app. BUT when creating an event on the Z10 calendar we can't see how it can sync back to the google calendar so that the event is visible on our home computers and other devices?

Is there a work around, am I doing something wrong? Or, in the worst case, is this feature missing from the Z10?

Thanks everyone....

Pete.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

After putting an event in the Z10 can you do a manual sync and see if it uploads to your other Google calendars? Sometimes on the iphone it took about 15 minutes to arrive.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thank you Kevin,

How do you do a manual sync? I have looked, but still baffled

Thanks for helping!

Pete
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    26713A5C

You have to setup an active sync connection with your Google account and it will sync your contact,s calendar etc

Just search for active sync on google and you will get the settings..i think the server is m.google.com

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Oh ok... Thank you.

I had problems last night and read as much as I could. It seemed the advice was to use caldav and go from there. I'll delete the accounts and set up using active sync instead?

Pete.... I'll get there in the end!!
    djenkins6 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Oh great.... active sync gives error code 403....do I need to wait another day? I seemed to get nowhere yesterday and had to leave it overnight. I must say that this is a bit crappy... I thought BB would be 'king' when it comes to messaging of any kind.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    26713A5C

Did you check the active sync guides for Google?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

It would be very helpful to create a 'sticky' with definitive instructions for those wishing to have 2 way sync with Google and Hotmail Calendars (and others). There are issues at the moment.... going in circles isn't doing it for me... The sticky thread could be used to post latest fixes so that 'poor unfortunates' like myself (aka a customer who paid good cash) can see what's being done to put things right. Didn't BB test for this kind of thing prior to release!!? Basics.... bloomin' basics...

Still hopeful.... but not quite so patient.... Pete
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts

You are adding the event to your Google Calendar as opposed to the Local calendar on the phone? When creating an event you can change the calendar it is added to at the top of the screen.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

That's what you would think.... I thought the same. BUT only the BB Local Calendar appears if you use Google Calendar with active sync. However, Hotmail Calendars and active sync appear to be fine. So to work around I have subscribed my Google Calendars to my Hotmail Calendars and now use Hotmail as the default Calendar when posting a calendar event via my wife's Z10. Now the Hotmail Calendar accounts appear as drop down options for posting and the Google Calendar accounts appear also as 'read only' and the BB Local Calendar option is still there too.

So far, this works fine...phew!! BUT...what a pain in the **** this has been! None of the big companies seem interested in sharing, it's all about profit or suing each other...Google,Apple

Hopefully, a more 'grown up' solution will come out soon. The Z10 is a lovely looking device, it's certainly for grown ups who appreciate a little sophistication.... now excuse me while I go and pick up all my toys!!

EDIT: Extra woes....some google calendar stuff is not getting across to the Hotmail calendar There has to be a more elegant solution to this. I'll try again later. My wifes Playbook syncs perfectly with Google Calendar and everything appears as it should. Didn't have to use caldav or active sync. Just popped in the email addy and the password and that was it...DONE. So what gives with this latest tech!! Have deleted the accounts again now...back to square one and toys all over the bl**dy floor again
    Last edited by technofan; 02-17-2013 at 06:27 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,853 Global Posts

I'm reviving this thread because I don't really see a solution here and I'm having issues trying to get this to work.
    If I create an entry on the Google Calendar website, I can see it on my Z10, but not the other way around. If I create an appointment on my phone, I want to see it on Google Calendar.

What do I have to set up to get this to sync properly??
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Using CalDAV to sync Gmail calendars seems to work for me. Did not do anything special other then set it up.

It all seems to work/sync between my Z10, Outlook and Gmail.

I used ActiveSync also and that worked fine for me also. But ActiveSync is not available with Gmail standard.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Here's are instructions that I used.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

This will let you choose which calendars you want to sync from the Calender app including shard calendars.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    szlevi likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,853 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mugen27 View Post
    Here's are instructions that I used.

KB33093-How to setup Google Calendar synchronization via CalDAV on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone

This will let you choose which calendars you want to sync from the Calender app including shard calendars.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    Not working properly for me.

If I create an event on google calendar, it will show up on my phone.
    If I create an event on my phone, it will NOT show up on google calendar.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,894 Global Posts

Check your calendar settings. Open calendar, pull down from the top, make sure your google calendar is checked. Mine syncs fine on my Z10, Playbook and computer...

Trusted Member
    Rockin' a Black STL100-4...Z10 10.3.1.821, Debug Token ...on Verizon, 64 GB WiFi Playbook.
    HP Elite M9340f Quad Core, OCZ 64GB Vertex 3 SSD +1TB HDD, Vista SP2 Media Center Edition, 6GB Ram,
    Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel with Pedals and Shifter.
    CrackBerry Genius

I've got Google calendar holidays loaded on my BlackBerry calendar. Pretty cool. Set that to sync manually to not waste resources. Probably only need to sync it once a year...and have set a yearly calendar alert for that. ;-)

- aBBuser
    Last edited by pvphooman; 09-01-2013 at 02:40 AM.
    -aBBuser
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    Not working properly for me.

If I create an event on google calendar, it will show up on my phone.
    If I create an event on my phone, it will NOT show up on google calendar.
    Settings > Accounts > Set Defaults > Calendar

Choose your primary Gmail account.

Check out my "Facepalm" channel: C0001F676

Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1047
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,853 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Young Z View Post
    Settings > Accounts > Set Defaults > Calendar

Choose your primary Gmail account.

Hmm, I thought of that, but if gmail is down, will I also lose all my calendar events? I know a lot of people were having issues seeing their calendar or their tasks a few weeks ago when Hotmail/Outlook servers were down.

I cannot lose access to these events no matter what.

I thought we are able to create events onto the local calendar and have that sync with Gmail?
    CrackBerry Addict

Hmm, I thought of that, but if gmail is down, will I also lose all my calendar events? I know a lot of people were having issues seeing their calendar or their tasks a few weeks ago when Hotmail/Outlook servers were down.

I cannot lose access to these events no matter what.

I thought we are able to create events onto the local calendar and have that sync with Gmail?

Can I post an event on my phone calendar that goes to google calendar?-img_00000369.png

Last edited by Young Z; 09-01-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1047
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    333BF5D4

Default must be set for Gmail calendar. Syncs perfectly no matter where I create an event.

Posted via CB10
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it. 335039AC
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,853 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Young Z View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000369.png 
Views:	312 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	197718

Yes, I know, but this means the data is saved on Google Calendar and synced back to my phone. Not the calendar saved to my phone and synced to the Google Calendar.
    It sounds like the same thing, but if something goes wrong with the google server, I might lose my events/appointments if I set my default as Gmail. Whereas if my default is my local phone, regardless of network connections or Google Server, I'll always have my events on my phone. (Assuming I don't lose my phone)......
    CrackBerry Addict

Yes, I know, but this means the data is saved on Google Calendar and synced back to my phone. Not the calendar saved to my phone and synced to the Google Calendar.
    It sounds like the same thing, but if something goes wrong with the google server, I might lose my events/appointments if I set my default as Gmail. Whereas if my default is my local phone, regardless of network connections or Google Server, I'll always have my events on my phone. (Assuming I don't lose my phone)......
    No it does not make a local and Gmail event at the same tine. I don't remember any default calendar on the other smartphones doing that. The logic would get too complicated when you have a tablet or other devices syncing with your Gmail events. Or sharing events with others.

Also, turn your phone to airplane mode and go to your calendar. Notice all your events are still there and the alarm will go off at the right time. You will also be able to add an event offline and it will sync the next time you get online.

If you are still not satisfied. You can always create two events, one local and one Gmail, but Gmail uptime annually is 99%, so not really worth it.

Last edited by Young Z; 09-01-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Z10 STL100-3 10.2.0.1047
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,853 Global Posts

Didn't anyone think of this?
    If I can create an appointment on my Gmail account and "See it" from my phone. Why can't I make an appointment on my phone and "See it" from my gmail account.
    Bah!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Didn't anyone think of this?
    If I can create an appointment on my Gmail account and "See it" from my phone. Why can't I make an appointment on my phone and "See it" from my gmail account.
    Bah!
    Not sure I fully understand. But I am able to create an event on my z10 Gmail calendar and it syncs up to Gmail. Then in turn I also see it on my pc which is synced to Google.

Then I can do it from desktop and it will show on my phone and Gmail.

Or start at Gmail and will show on desktop and phone.

I can do it with ActiveSync setup and cadaver. Either way works for me. How do you have it setup?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    333BF5D4

Quote Originally Posted by mugen27 View Post
    Not sure I fully understand. But I am able to create an event on my z10 Gmail calendar and it syncs up to Gmail. Then in turn I also see it on my pc which is synced to Google.

Then I can do it from desktop and it will show on my phone and Gmail.

Or start at Gmail and will show on desktop and phone.

I can do it with ActiveSync setup and cadaver. Either way works for me. How do you have it setup?

Posted via CB10
    This is my experience as well. Everything syncs up perfectly no matter where or how I create it. I'm not sure what some of the above posters are doing wrong, but it works great for me with Gmail and Outlook. I use email, calendar and contacts for both services.

Posted via CB10
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it. 335039AC