NO ONE has ever been able to take pics with BlackBerry phones with just the stock camera without a shutter sound. The laws that apply are in Canada and the US for having a shutter sound. The bill is from 2009 and BlackBerry has been adhering to those rules before the bill went through. iOS and Google are not following the law and not sure if they will ever adhere to the laws. There are apps out there to silence the shutter sound. But BB has never allowed it on the stock app itself.
    The bill introduced in January 2009 died, never was passed, introduced, not passed:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...:@@@L&summ2=m&
    03-03-13 01:34 PM
    Wouldn't be surprised if this is more of along the lines of making sure people don't take pictures of documents without anyone noticing. Still really stupid. I hope they fix it. Honestly creeps will take pictures if they want to bad enough and all the creeps who take pictures want to take them bad enough to find away around anyways. Like people said, all they need tto dobis download an app. Now the camera is neutered and your significant other is unsafe. -1 problems solved.
    03-03-13 02:07 PM
    Someone posted something more recent about a law that bans silent cameras, actually. Something from 2012/2013. Can't find the link though. Anyways, enjoy:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ick-sound.html
    03-03-13 02:11 PM
    QuickLaunch (at least I think that was what it was called) allowed you to disable the shuttersound on BB phones that ran OS5 and OS6 (but not OS7).

I'm in the camp that the shutter sound is annoying. It has nothing to do with being a 'perv'. In some situations, the shutter sound is distracting. I keep my P&S with the sound turned off and use the 'silent' mode on my 5D MKIII (which still makes noise but noticeably quieter). It's a stupid thing which penalizes the majority for a minority that caused it to be put in place.

I can understand that due to the 'business' nature of BB phones that it could help with security to have it enabled but for the 'consumer' side of things it absolutely should be a option that people can turn off. And as others have pointed out that for the business side if it was a security concern, they can just disable the camera from the get go.
    03-03-13 03:30 PM
29 12