I've noticed some people mention the camera quality on the Z10 is average.

Is this hardware related? Or more so software? I have a hunch that it is software related. If that is the case then a good update will solve these issues and hopefully make these good photos great!

How has the image quality been since the past updates? Have they improved?
    03-16-13 09:24 PM
    Do some searching around here - there are a ton of threads dedicated to this with before and after samples.

That being said, I loved the camera before the update and after.
    jstarett likes this.
    03-16-13 09:54 PM
    Only had one update, pics are better in low light.
    03-16-13 09:55 PM
    My pictures are fine... in fact I get complimented on my "camera" quality pictures all the time when I post them to facebook
    03-16-13 09:57 PM
    From what I've seen the pics are really nice I don't own a Z10. Budget unfortunately doesn't allow for the device. Dam sick leave! Oh well. I'll be an owner soon enough.
    03-16-13 10:03 PM
    Compared to my Nikon the pictures are average.

But my Nikon doesn't make phone calls or access Internet. Who should I complaint to?
    03-16-13 10:31 PM
    The photos are just as good as other phone is its class, better than average. It is not DSLR quality, but fine for most uses.
    Be sure to give the lens a good wipe with microfiber cloth for the best image quality. Many photos on the web of the Z10 definitely have a serious case of smudges on the lens. The location and the flushness of the lens make it prone to smudges.
    03-16-13 11:27 PM
    Have a look at some of the pictures taken by toutounjiomar. I think they look awesome!

Toutounjiomar Thread

And this thread here as well.

Post photos taken with the Z10/
    03-16-13 11:32 PM
    its very good in well lit shots. absolutely horrific in the dim. it is a hardware limitation, in the sensor and image processor. the new update simply increases the ISO in dark environments at the cost of more digital noise. there is no comparison to iphone 5/galaxy s3/lumia 920 in the dark.
    BlackBerry Z10 vs Nokia Lumia 920 vs Apple iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3: Camera Shootout | Mobile - Gizbot
    03-17-13 01:08 AM
    I've noticed some people mention the camera quality on the Z10 is average.

Is this hardware related? Or more so software? I have a hunch that it is software related. If that is the case then a good update will solve these issues and hopefully make these good photos great!

How has the image quality been since the past updates? Have they improved?
    The Z10 camera is very good. They seem to have changed the way the light metering is done with the latest update, so now low-light shots taken in night mode look decent. Previously, if you moved the focus box around the dark areas, you could "lighten" them and get a good picture. If you didnt do that, the pictures were dark. Changing the aspect ratio can also affect the quality of the photos.

Overall, very happy with the camera. Love having autofocus back.

My only complaint about the camera is that I wish I could get a choice of resolutions when sharing (by email) pictures. Now, it's just the 2MB picture.
    Sebastiannnn likes this.
    03-17-13 01:16 AM
    how do you do focus? is there a function like on the iphone? i feel its not 8 megapix quality
    03-17-13 01:17 AM
    its very good in well lit shots. absolutely horrific in the dim. it is a hardware limitation, in the sensor and image processor. the new update simply increases the ISO in dark environments at the cost of more digital noise. there is no comparison to iphone 5/galaxy s3/lumia 920 in the dark.
    BlackBerry Z10 vs Nokia Lumia 920 vs Apple iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3: Camera Shootout | Mobile - Gizbot
    It is not horrific in the dim, as you put it. Have you used night mode? Or tried moving the focus box around? Also the comparison you cite was done prior to the software update and is not valid.

I do agree that the Lumia 920 has the best camera and the iPhone 5 camera is really good. But the Z10 isnt far behind and is IMO better than the Galaxy S3 camera. Dont know about the S4...
    03-17-13 01:24 AM
    how do you do focus? is there a function like on the iphone? i feel its not 8 megapix quality
    It is auto-focus. The square brackets will turn green when in focus. You can drag the focus point to where ever you want to focus, then tap the screen to take a shot.
    All the large megapixel rating of these small sensors are just gimmicks, a specs race. The image quality of 10 year old, 6 megapixel DSLRs will mop the floor with any modern phone camera, with exception to the Nokia 808 PureView.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    03-17-13 01:28 AM
    It's not tap to focus like the iPhone -- tapping will just take a picture. You have to move the white box to where you want to focus. It will turn green when focused. Then tap anywhere to take the picture or use one of the volume buttons (my preference).

Edit -- homl beat me to it

Anyway, also want to add that try the 4:3 aspect ratio, instead of the 16:9. You may see a change in "quality"
    03-17-13 01:29 AM
    i got a Z10 as a gift and i feel it is alright. Not as good compared to the iphone
    03-17-13 01:31 AM
    i got a Z10 as a gift and i feel it is alright. Not as good compared to the iphone
    The iPhone camera is pretty good but try playing around with the different modes on the Z10.
    03-17-13 01:34 AM
    Pressing volume button increases the chance of shaking and results in blurred images sometime.
    03-17-13 01:36 AM
    hello there
    im using Z10 for about 10 months now i have updated all z10 updates regarding OS every time i update there is decrease in quality/ resolution. im not satisfied with results, before first update the pics were so clear im more than happy , but now i have stopped completely taking pics after update to 10.2.1.2941, the quality so downgrade that 5 MP cam giving good pics than my z10 even in a day light. please give me solution.
    06-20-14 12:34 PM
    hello there
    im using Z10 for about 10 months now i have updated all z10 updates regarding OS every time i update there is decrease in quality/ resolution. im not satisfied with results, before first update the pics were so clear im more than happy , but now i have stopped completely taking pics after update to 10.2.1.2941, the quality so downgrade that 5 MP cam giving good pics than my z10 even in a day light. please give me solution.
    According to my experience and one year old z10, and came from iPhone 5 to z10, z10 get better cam quality after every update, and the camera resolution is perfect.

Posted via ?? BB Z10 ? ?
    06-20-14 01:24 PM
    Just be sure your on 4:3 ratio rather than 16:9. There will be a great improvement.

And Z10 is good on outdoor when the lighting is great. Bad in indoors when the lighting is poor.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 06:27 PM
    My picture quality on my Z10 has gotten better with every O/S update. Of course I never thought the quality was bad to begin with. Sure as a lot have stated it could be improved in low light conditions, and sometimes inside but a lot of my friends with iphones think the quality of my pics are equal to or better then the ones they get with their cams
    06-20-14 07:14 PM
    In good light camera is fine...

In low light it bites!

Flash always gives me red eye.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175
    06-21-14 06:26 AM
    after reading your post i tried to test with iphone 5 with auto mode and tried to take pics on in night less illuminated street i can't see anything through z10 cam but through Iphone 5 the focused area is visible as if torch light is kept on. so i think my cam is not upto the BB quality. give me a solution
    06-22-14 10:33 AM
    My picture quality on my Z10 has gotten better with every O/S update. Of course I never thought the quality was bad to begin with. Sure as a lot have stated it could be improved in low light conditions, and sometimes inside but a lot of my friends with iphones think the quality of my pics are equal to or better then the ones they get with their cams
    With the same thought i had updated as soon as they are available but then started to realize that the pics are not of same quality as earlier one , there is drastic decrease in cam quality even in bright daylight n don't even ask for night pics and with the last update i had stopped taking pics
    06-22-14 10:40 AM