Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Is the camera that good ? can it really handle low light ?

I heard everyone going on and on about the time shift feature in the bb10 camera but is the camera on its own really good ??
    because im some1 that loves taking pictures and i feel a phone should always be handy for that and as much as i love time shift i need to know how good the camera is on its own.
    as can any1 give me any ideas on that pls?
    CrackBerry Addict

I do tried London Camera at the club room where has low light intensity. The picture was produced by London Camera makes me can see which part of the room is heavy smoke, moderate, or even clear one. Hope this can help you.
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
    CrackBerry Addict

^^ Interesting.

Another posted recently mentioned that it's not good in low light conditions, comparing it to the S3.
    CrackBerry Addict

If anybody at RIM is reading this, do suggest to the brass that the camera has some time to be tweaked before launch to enable low-light shooting!
    Subscribe to my BBM Channel: C001230CB
    (yeah CB=Crackberrian)

Photography Portfolio: www.onemodelplace.com/gent-ng-photography

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gent-...09172849105726
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by gng11 View Post
    If anybody at RIM is reading this, do suggest to the brass that the camera has some time to be tweaked before launch to enable low-light shooting!
    agree with you, it needs a little bit tweak for camera and all and everything.
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe

CrackBerry Abuser

They can't do much with the camera as the hardware is set in stone. They can only do some minor software improvements but they can't change the sensor size or the f-stop which would really help with low light performance.
    But then I'm spoiled by the awesome cameras in my Nokia Symbian smartphones and their huge sensors and xenon flashes.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Gerii View Post
    They can't do much with the camera as the hardware is set in stone. They can only do some minor software improvements but they can't change the sensor size or the f-stop which would really help with low light performance.
    But then I'm spoiled by the awesome cameras in my Nokia Symbian smartphones and their huge sensors and xenon flashes.
    Well that sucks. Hopefully the dev alpha devices are sporting a cheaper camera than the official release one :/
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Gerii View Post
    Camera embedded at Nokia phone is one of the most high quality at smartphone everyone admits this. However, What I see from the picture taken by London makes me impressed Well, it's enough for me I don't know about others
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe

CrackBerry Abuser

I too found that Dev Alpha devices did poorly in low light. It is just the developer and should not be considered what the final product would be. So, let's just hope they do have a better camera.
    Thanked by:
    gng11 (12-10-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thanked by:
    Sith_Apprentice (12-14-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Maybe I missed this, but is the camera auto-focus or fixed focus ? Fixed focus would be a serious negative for me. I think the obsession with thin is dumb. Much better to have a healthy battery and camera.
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

it has auto focus and the Dev B camera is roughly the same as the L series (L series might be better)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-alpha-757229/

The cat picture is in low light with the flash
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,530 Global Posts
    PIN
    mic check one two, testing, check check

Knowing a few things about image capturing, I'll say expecting great (especially low light) images out of cell phone cameras is like powering a saturn 5 rocket with a honda turbo charged, nitrous injecting 4 banger. Pointless

But for the sake of argument, a CMOS imager and 6400+ ISO will help put the low light curve in your favor. But jamming 10+ MP worth of pixels on a teenie tiny little image sensor (CCD or CMOS) pushes that curve back in the other direction. A nice piece of glass will also help, but then again, we're talking cell phone camera.

I will say, for the love of god, don't give us the fixed focus that we have on the 9930. At least give us an auto focus......
    Personal - VZW BlackBerry Z10 - 10.2.1.537
    Work -VZW iPhone 5 - 7.0.4 - MobileIron
    Playbook - 32G

Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by ericdude View Post
    Knowing a few things about image capturing, I'll say expecting great (especially low light) images out of cell phone cameras is like powering a saturn 5 rocket with a honda turbo charged, nitrous injecting 4 banger. Pointless

But for the sake of argument, a CMOS imager and 6400+ ISO will help put the low light curve in your favor. But jamming 10+ MP worth of pixels on a teenie tiny little image sensor (CCD or CMOS) pushes that curve back in the other direction. A nice piece of glass will also help, but then again, we're talking cell phone camera.

I will say, for the love of god, don't give us the fixed focus that we have on the 9930. At least give us an auto focus......
    Please see my post above yours for examples haha
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,530 Global Posts
    PIN
    mic check one two, testing, check check

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    Please see my post above yours for examples haha
    I saw the pictures, they are decent looking. The cat picture is impressive for how well its handling the blacks. Its handling of shadows in the woods however leaves something to be desired, IMHO .....
    Personal - VZW BlackBerry Z10 - 10.2.1.537
    Work -VZW iPhone 5 - 7.0.4 - MobileIron
    Playbook - 32G

Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Default Re: Is the camera that good ? can it really handle low light ?

I agree but there is no editing done of that and bb10 will include basic editing.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry User

BB's camera always being attacked by iphone n samsung user... i really do hope that BB10 camera can show it is compatible with them...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,087 Global Posts

Maybe its because the site killed the resolution but is that sunset pic choppy?

Hard to tell. I'm using the tapatalk app so I'm not sure if it is me or the camera.

Sent from my game boy color
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,087 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BenChin View Post
    BB's camera always being attacked by iphone n samsung user... i really do hope that BB10 camera can show it is compatible with them...
    Only as of recent. Remember the iphone didn't even have a flash or the ability to send a pic message till the iphone4

Sent from my game boy color
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    Thanked by:
    bigbmc26 (12-16-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,927 Global Posts

Does the camera have any HDR features? A few of those shots linked above are just begging for HDR.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    Only as of recent. Remember the iphone didn't even have a flash or the ability to send a pic message till the iphone4
    People have short memories...

Quote Originally Posted by center77 View Post
    Maybe I missed this, but is the camera auto-focus or fixed focus ? Fixed focus would be a serious negative for me. I think the obsession with thin is dumb. Much better to have a healthy battery and camera.
    I don't think they're going to make that mistake again...
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina