I decided that the time had come for me to grab a Z10. Like most good RFD bargain hunters, I started scanning the FS threads for a used one. Big surprises were in store. For anyone thinking of buying a Z10 from HoFo, RFD or any other pre-owned source, read on. All this information came after escalating calls to Rogers, Telus and Blackberry. This isn't guesswork by some newb 1st-level rep. If anyone wants the case ID that was generated when I called Blackberry, let me know via PM. I asked the manager I spoke with to put everything he said to me in that case ID.

1. Blackberry will not talk to you about your in-warranty phone purchased in the used market. All warranty is handled by the point of sale entity, be it Rogers, Telus or Future Shop.

2. If you are buying a phone from a Rogers customer which s/he got on a discounted hardware upgrade, you will not be able to unlock that phone unless it has been paid up (i.e. the balance on the contract must be bought out).

3. With both Telus and Rogers, unlocking through anyone other than the original carrier voids the warranty. Can you get around that by spending an hour shouting and escalating? Maybe. Just be aware that this is their official line.

4. If you've bought an unlocked phone from a Rogers customer and registered it on the Telus network, and you experience problems with the hardware, you cannot take it to Rogers. Only the original purchaser can take it to Rogers. Only the original purchaser may put down the deposit to get a replacement phone while yours is being worked on/replaced.

Telus is the same - they will not talk to anyone but the original purchaser about warranty repair/replacement.

If anyone thinks that any of the above is inaccurate, please feel free to let me know. Please try to be polite. As I said, I got all of this information after asking to speak to reps at the loyalty/managerial level, at all 3 companies.

The CS manager from Blackberry told me 'we just make them, we don't sell them'. The fact that Blackbery has chosen a different path than (mildly despised) Apple and Lenovo (to name two), both of whom will honour an in-warranty replacement/repair request from whoever is holding the device without any sort of receipt required (as long as the IMEI doesn't show stolen) means... well, I'll let you all comment on that.
    03-07-13 10:16 PM
    That just sucks
    03-07-13 10:24 PM
    Yes, it's kind of hard to understand. It's always been this way with BBRY, but I thought maybe they'd make a change with the Z10. There are going to be a lot of unhappy people who bought used and get a wake up call when they try to get warranty service. Like everything, if you make enough noise and get the right rep you may be able to get a 'one-time exception', but I get a feeling that with this, it'll be a bit tougher than getting some roaming charges reversed.
    03-08-13 12:32 AM
    I decided that the time had come for me to grab a Z10. Like most good RFD bargain hunters, I started scanning the FS threads for a used one. Big surprises were in store. For anyone thinking of buying a Z10 from HoFo, RFD or any other pre-owned source, read on. All this information came after escalating calls to Rogers, Telus and Blackberry. This isn't guesswork by some newb 1st-level rep. If anyone wants the case ID that was generated when I called Blackberry, let me know via PM. I asked the manager I spoke with to put everything he said to me in that case ID.

1. Blackberry will not talk to you about your in-warranty phone purchased in the used market. All warranty is handled by the point of sale entity, be it Rogers, Telus or Future Shop.

2. If you are buying a phone from a Rogers customer which s/he got on a discounted hardware upgrade, you will not be able to unlock that phone unless it has been paid up (i.e. the balance on the contract must be bought out).

3. With both Telus and Rogers, unlocking through anyone other than the original carrier voids the warranty. Can you get around that by spending an hour shouting and escalating? Maybe. Just be aware that this is their official line.

4. If you've bought an unlocked phone from a Rogers customer and registered it on the Telus network, and you experience problems with the hardware, you cannot take it to Rogers. Only the original purchaser can take it to Rogers. Only the original purchaser may put down the deposit to get a replacement phone while yours is being worked on/replaced.

Telus is the same - they will not talk to anyone but the original purchaser about warranty repair/replacement.

If anyone thinks that any of the above is inaccurate, please feel free to let me know. Please try to be polite. As I said, I got all of this information after asking to speak to reps at the loyalty/managerial level, at all 3 companies.

The CS manager from Blackberry told me 'we just make them, we don't sell them'. The fact that Blackbery has chosen a different path than (mildly despised) Apple and Lenovo (to name two), both of whom will honour an in-warranty replacement/repair request from whoever is holding the device without any sort of receipt required (as long as the IMEI doesn't show stolen) means... well, I'll let you all comment on that.
    Here are the official Rogers unlocking policy which starts soon. Anyone under a contract needs to wait 90 days to get their device unlocked. The first owner can only do this tho.

"What are the restrictions?

When you purchase a wireless device on a new or existing Rogers account at full price, you are eligible to unlock it immediately.

For those customers who are under a term commitment, we have made some changes to our device unlocking policy to give you more flexibility in the way you use your wireless device. In March 2013, we’ll be changing our policy so that you no longer have to wait until you complete your full term commitment – you can unlock 90 days after activating your device on the Rogers network. We’re also making it even easier for you to have your phone unlocked by bringing it to any of our Rogers retail stores.

How much will it cost?

You can unlock your device for $50 plus applicable taxes.

How to unlock your phone with Rogers | Rogers RedBoard

Everything else you said is correct tho. This is how it really is with most of the devices out there. If i sell someone my S3 lets say, they can NOT get any warranty unless i give them the receipt of the phone & they add the IMEI number onto their account. If they do that, they get warranty. ( the phone must be a Rogers phone to get the IMEI number & warranty added on your account).
    03-08-13 12:44 AM
    Google does the same thing with limiting the warranty only to the original purchaser. My first Nexus 4 would not turn on, and Google wouldn't let me return it under warranty as I wasn't the original purchaser.
    03-08-13 12:49 AM
    Here are the official Rogers unlocking policy which starts soon. Anyone under a contract needs to wait 90 days to get their device unlocked. The first owner can only do this tho.
    Excellent info. No surprise that two Rogers reps failed to mention this to me.
    03-08-13 12:49 AM
    Google does the same thing with limiting the warranty only to the original purchaser. My first Nexus 4 would not turn on, and Google wouldn't let me return it under warranty as I wasn't the original purchaser.
    Sure, Google isn't a hardware company. It's a bit more understandable. The industry standard for firms that are looking to be viewed as the best in class is to honour warranty no matter who holds the unit (Apple, Lenovo et al in the computer world and, just as an example, most high-end amp makers in the pro audio world).
    03-08-13 12:52 AM
    Excellent info. No surprise that two Rogers reps failed to mention this to me.
    Yea most Rogers reps do not even know this info yet. This is why i trust what Rogers Redboard says & not what the reps say. The new unlocking policy will start March 28th. So in the end, who ever bought the phone on a contract Feb 5th will be able to unlock it May 5th 2013. This can ONLY be done with the first owner & if you are the first owner, like Rogers said you can go into any Rogers store & have them unlock for you for $50.

This does NOT void the warranty & even if it cost $50, i rather do it this way. Rogers just adds the IMEI number on their data base saying its unlocked BUT it keeps the warranty for you until the warranty ends.
    03-08-13 12:55 AM
    This is how it really is with most of the devices out there. If i sell someone my S3 lets say, they can NOT get any warranty unless i give them the receipt of the phone & they add the IMEI number onto their account. If they do that, they get warranty. ( the phone must be a Rogers phone to get the IMEI number & warranty added on your account).
    Well, it doesn't work that way with iPhones. I know this because I bought one used, it was acting strange and it was within warranty, I took it in and they just handed me a new one. No receipt, no questions asked. Lenovo laptops are the same way. All my pro audio gear is the same way. As long as their database doesn't show it as stolen, they will warranty repair/replace where appropriate.

I realize there are plenty of companies out there that are like BBRY/Google etc. It's ironic, isn't it, that BBRY wants us to really have faith in their new products but don't want to come with a warranty program that is as bulletproof as Apple's. I'm no fan of the iPhone (I mildly hate mine) but you can't argue with their no-questions-asked replacement/repair policy, and I think it would have been cool if BBRY came with the same thing and let everyone know about it.
    03-08-13 01:00 AM
    Only phone I would ever buy used is an iPhone for the warranty reason mentioned. The others are All a gong show trying to get warranty etc

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 01:07 AM
    Well, it doesn't work that way with iPhones. I know this because I bought one used, it was acting strange and it was within warranty, I took it in and they just handed me a new one. No receipt, no questions asked. Lenovo computers are the same way. All my pro audio gear is the same way. As long as their database doesn't show it as stolen, they will warranty repair/replace where appropriate.

I realize there are plenty of companies out there that are like BBRY/Google etc. It's ironic, isn't it, that BBRY wants us to really have faith in their new products but don't want to come with a warranty program that is as bulletproof as Apple's. I'm no fan of the iPhone (I mildly hate mine) but you can't argue with their no-questions-asked replacement/repair policy, and I think it would have been cool if BBRY came with the same thing and let everyone know about it.
    This is because you went straight to a Apple store if i am correct... Samsung, Blackberry, Motorola, Google & HTC do NOT have their own stores & if they did, they do not anymore. Apple has different warranty proccesses i should know this because i used to work for Apple at the Eaton center. You know what is funny? If the rep does not want to fix the phone, they would just give the customer a refurb iPhone. This is how all the Apple stores are if you are outside the 15 day window when getting the new device.

The warranty is set from BlackBerry BUT Rogers as the carrier, takes over the warranty & picks what they want to do. It would be nice if BlackBerry did that BUT everyone would abuse it just like most of them are doing it with the iPhone's at the Apple store. Watch the Youtube videos on how they test the iPhone's on drops? What do you think they do after? They go to the Apple store & see what they can get. in the end they walk out with a new OR refurb model. This is abusing the system. For some that drop their phones or crack the screen by accident, then yet the giving a refurb model would be nice.

Also just to mention as i really do not think anyone you know this. Rogers does offer refurb models if your handset is not working well. All you need to do is contact Rogers tech support & have them mail you out a refurb device. The cost is $35 but that will cover the cost of them sending you the device & you sending yours back.
    03-08-13 01:09 AM
    Only phone I would ever buy used is an iPhone for the warranty reason mentioned. The others are All a gong show trying to get warranty etc
    Exactly. Asking us to have to deal with RoBellUs to finagle a warranty repair/replacement on a phone we bought in the used market is like asking us to eat broken glass. We all know what it's like. The worst part is the inconsistency from rep to rep. You might be doomed to spending hours on the phone fighting.

I guess I'm doomed to pay full pop.
    03-08-13 01:10 AM
    Just my experience - but if you hound BlackBerry enough -- they will take the phone directly. I've gone through the carrier ONCE and swore to never do it again, I've since had to claim warranty on four BlackBerry devices, all of which were done just by calling RIM. Furthermore, all of these claims were within the first year, so, results may vary.
    03-08-13 01:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes but remember, if you buy a used iPhone, the S/N & IMEI is still connected to the first owner. Once you register a Apple product, the S/N will register into your iTunes account. This means if you sell the iPhone, the person who has it & calls Apple, will have to get the first owner to contact Apple & have them change the user name & emails to yours. I do not know if this changed but as of last Sept, it was the same still.
    03-08-13 01:11 AM
    Just my experience - but if you hound BlackBerry enough -- they will take the phone directly. I've gone through the carrier ONCE and swore to never do it again, I've since had to claim warranty on four BlackBerry devices, all of which were done just by calling RIM. Furthermore, all of these claims were within the first year, so, results may vary.
    Yes BUT most of the times the reps at Blackberry will not help you UNLESS you call in many times. This is the same for Sony / Samsung / HTC / Motorola & a few others. I have sent my Bold 9900 straight to RIM after a few phone calls back & forth. It was a waste of my time going threw all this but in the end i got a new device out of it!
    03-08-13 01:12 AM
    This is because you went straight to a Apple store if i am correct...
    I called in and they set up an appointment at an Apple store, yes.
    Samsung, Blackberry, Motorola, Google & HTC do NOT have their own stores & if they did, they do not anymore.
    I am willing to bet that if you contacted Samsung and said you have a phone under warranty and you want service on it, they would help you. No one at either Telus or Rogers said to me, during my many conversations with them, that Samsung or HTC had the same policy as BBRY. The point here is that Blackberry farms out the warranty management to the carrier or point of sale entity.

The warranty is set from BlackBerry BUT Rogers as the carrier, takes over the warranty & picks what they want to do.
    Exactly. And we all know what RoBellUs usually want to do. Take advantage of us at every turn. That's what sucks about the set-up.
    It would be nice if BlackBerry did that BUT everyone would abuse it just like most of them are doing it with the iPhone's at the Apple store.
    Actually, I totally believe this. I wondered about it when Apple replaced my phone without asking me any questions. But you have to admit, it makes a good impression and there are a lot of people who probably buy Apple gear for this reason.
    Also just to mention as i really do not think anyone you know this. Rogers does offer refurb models if your handset is not working well. All you need to do is contact Rogers tech support & have them mail you out a refurb device. The cost is $35 but that will cover the cost of them sending you the device & you sending yours back.
    That's good to know.
    03-08-13 01:17 AM
    Yes but remember, if you buy a used iPhone, the S/N & IMEI is still connected to the first owner. Once you register a Apple product, the S/N will register into your iTunes account. This means if you sell the iPhone, the person who has it & calls Apple, will have to get the first owner to contact Apple & have them change the user name & emails to yours. I do not know if this changed but as of last Sept, it was the same still.
    None of this happened with me. I bought a used iPhone and didn't have to do any of this. I just started using it.
    03-08-13 01:18 AM
    Yes, I believe this too. You just have to get the right rep, as you do with RoBellUs.
    03-08-13 01:19 AM

Luckily, it's not happen in Indonesia.
    03-08-13 01:19 AM