SwiftKey Flow is an input method similar to Swype. That is, it's a "cursive" way of inputting text, where you drag your finger from one letter to the next to make a word, instead of tapping. Lifting your finger from the keyboard means you're starting the next word, and a space is inserted.

That description was for the benefit of those who haven't used Swype or Flow on Android. There are plenty of video demos of it. I like this one: The transition from tap to Flow happens at about 0:33.

The Z10 keyboard uses the same AI to predict words. That's why it works so well even when we're mashing letters all around the correct letters. Flow works the same way: It guesses the words by the keyboard regions that you land on, rather than the exact letters. Since SwiftKey designed the Z10 keyboard, and it uses the same AI, it couldn't be that much of a stretch to allow the Z10 user to select Flow as an input method.

I want this.

I like thumb-typing on the Z10, and it's very fast and accurate. This isn't a complaint. But I do like the Flow way of doing things, and knowing that we could have it...I just want it. I like the cursive flow of it. And since BB10 is all about flow....let's just have this.
    04-12-13 10:53 AM
    Only if it could be disabled as an option. Wouldn't want to be stuck with it if I found I didn't like it.
    04-12-13 11:17 AM
    Only if it could be disabled as an option. Wouldn't want to be stuck with it if I found I didn't like it.
    Absolutely. It should be an option in Settings>Input. With Flow activated, it would probably make sense to have the flick words turned off. Although as soon as I write that I know that some Swype savant will tell me that he can easily flick words while Swyping 80 wpm riding a unicycle.

Anyway, I think Flow would enhance the Z10 experience, and we know SwiftKey can provide it.
    04-12-13 12:31 PM
    doesn't this go against what BBRY is trying to do. One handed device management?
    04-12-13 12:38 PM
    doesn't this go against what BBRY is trying to do. One handed device management?
    It's still one handed
    04-12-13 12:42 PM
    I agree there would be nothing wrong with having both options. The flow keyboard and the flick one we have now. I would personally choose to use the one we have now(i love just flicking words all day barely even have to type now lol), but there's nothing wrong with options!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 12:47 PM
    I'm not sure how they would integrate Flow into the swipe patterns of the Z10.

example....You'd have to be sure not to use swipe gestures over the keyboard area which may be interpreted as trying to spell a word...no?
    04-12-13 12:52 PM
    It's still one handed
    Please explain how this is "one handed" as I clearly see 2 hands being used?
    sonicwheeler likes this.
    04-12-13 12:55 PM
    I can very easily use a swype flow keyboard on an Android device using one hand. Hold the phone in my right hand and swype the letters with my right thumb

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 01:08 PM
    just because the demo showed two hands doesnt mean you have to. I use it 1 handed quite easily also.
    04-12-13 01:08 PM
    I don't think one-handed use is some kind of BB imperative. Some people use Swype/Flow with one hand; I don't. I don't thumb type with one hand much either. People who want to thumb type with one hand may simply want to keep Flow turned off. I don't see that as a reason not to have it available as an option.
    04-12-13 01:26 PM
    Personally i cant stand swype and the new flow keyboard. I had it on my S3 and got rid of it after a day or so of using it. Hardly intuitive and found it was even more fustrating than the normal keyboard on the S3.

But if its an option then great, some people like it and some people.
    04-12-13 01:34 PM
    I'm not sure how they would integrate Flow into the swipe patterns of the Z10.

example....You'd have to be sure not to use swipe gestures over the keyboard area which may be interpreted as trying to spell a word...no?
    I don't think this is a problem. Swipe gestures start on the bezel, which is what prevents them from being mistaken as keyboard entries now; it wouldn't be any different with Flow enabled.

It's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't tried it for a few days. When I went from my 9900 to Android, started out with the stock Android keyboard, which I found slow and awkward to use. I decided to try Swype. At first, it seemed awkward too. But I quickly learned that the trick to Swype is the same as the trick to using the Z10 keyboard: You have to learn to trust the keyboard software to do what it does. The AI is the same. You don't have to be accurate; you just have to be close, and it can figure out what you are trying to type. Once you do, the experience of text entry is very pleasant and, well, flowing. For me, it's a two-handed thing, like in the video. Hold the device with one hand and write with the other. But plenty of people do it one-handed.

(That's what she said)

Eventually, I bought the SwiftKey keyboard for Android and tried Flow. It's similar to Swype, but not identical. There are differences in certain details, such as how you capitalize words, etc. I'm sure that if BlackBerry were to offer Flow on the Z10 they'd have SwiftKey fine-tune it to their own specifications.
    04-12-13 01:37 PM
    I said it elsewhere: if they add Flow, I think the BB10 keyboard is taken to a whole new level.

And yes, it can be used one-handed. I'm swiping this with a rambunctious 3-yr-old asleep in my off hand.
    04-12-13 01:43 PM
    I can very easily use a swype flow keyboard on an Android device using one hand. Hold the phone in my right hand and swype the letters with my right thumb

Posted via CB10
    That's how I type.
    04-12-13 01:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Here's the thing though,

With the Swype, wouldn't you still have to swipe over each letter or remove your thumb to select the predicted word.
    with The Z10's KB you could write an entire sentence with just a few "flicks"
    04-12-13 01:53 PM
    Here's the thing though,

With the Swype, wouldn't you still have to swipe over each letter or remove your thumb to select the predicted word.
    Can't speak for Kat, but if the engine is good, the person swiping won't need the suggested word. Swype is better with regards to predictions IMHO.

But I do get your point.
    04-12-13 01:57 PM
    In my opinion, there is no way swipe is faster than two thumbs and predictive. Revisit the opinion of OP after the improvements in OS 10.1 are released.

Posted via CB10 / Verizon Z10
    04-12-13 02:12 PM
    Here's the thing though,

Again, I'm not saying they should take away the existing Z10 keyboard. I'm saying they should add the Flow capability to it, as a settable option, just as Swiftkey does in Android. Watch the video again. You can still use predictive text with Flow, but it wouldn't make much sense to have the predictions on the frets. At least I don't think it would; maybe I'm wrong about that. But they could still appear on the space bar. You use the space bar much less with Flow. When you take your finger off the screen and put it down, that's a space and a new word is begun. You don't have to tap the space bar. So if there were a predicted word on the space bar, you could stop swiping and just tap it.

Flow is so fast, you'd probably only use predictive text for longer words. Ideally, you should be able to choose a minimum word length for predictions.

Flow/Swype is very fast. Typing on the Z10 is very fast. It's not about which one is faster; it's just a question of a different feel, and a different way of getting the job done.

It's not for everybody, but there are definitely people out there who really glom onto the Flow/Swype mode.
    04-12-13 02:15 PM
    In my opinion, there is no way swipe is faster than two thumbs and predictive. Revisit the opinion of OP after the improvements in OS 10.1 are released.
    I didn't claim it was faster, so I'm not sure what your point is. How will BB10.1 add anything to what's being discussed here...unless BB10.1 will have Flow! Is that it?
    04-12-13 02:17 PM
    Yes - but there are others on the post who are considering speed, including me. The OS 10.1 improvements announce some visual improvement to make flick easier to use.

04-12-13 02:23 PM

Officially, Swype is the fastest way to type (different keyboard, yes, but similar process).

But how does it affect your speed when OP is not proposing a replacement, but a togglable option?
    04-12-13 02:28 PM
    Officially, Swype is the fastest way to type (different keyboard, yes, but similar process).

But how does it affect your speed when OP is not proposing a replacement, but a togglable option?
    Indeed it would not affect my speed if swipe 'option' was turned off.

04-12-13 02:41 PM