No BIS = No Hour Glass
    I'm happy now
    and you can even unleash the speed of telkomsel's HSPA+ speed right from your Z10!
    04-05-13 03:00 AM
    I would like to expose my case:

I'm from Spain, and have Telefonica as my network. I have a BIS data plan and here not much people know that as Telefonica can't control the data traffic between the BIS and my Smartphone it is impossible to exceed my data plan. I have 500MB and NEVER EVER receive the sms telling me I have exceed this quantity.

Its been more or less 20 days since I had my Z10 and haven't received the sms yet with many interenet use (also with Nobex radio which consumes a lot of data).

All in all, I can't be sure at all, but I think I'm using BIS on my Z10.

Cheers from Barcelona! ;-)
    04-05-13 03:01 AM
    I dont think that you use BIS because Blackberry 10 simply is unable to use it.
    04-05-13 03:16 AM
    Who moved my cheese?

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 05:17 AM
    I dont think that you use BIS because Blackberry 10 simply is unable to use it.
    If you click the link on the first page (Clearing up the BlackBerry 10 data plan confusion: No, you don't need a special BlackBerry plan if you're a regular customer | CrackBerry.com) at the end of it, you can read: "Yes, a dedicated BlackBerry plan will still work."

Also, I have checked in my carrier website (Telefonica Spain) and I have some conections from the Blackberry Data Service.

Moreover, as I mentioned, when I spend all the 500MB that I have in my data plan they send me a SMS. Just received once in my blackberry-lifetime because I did hotspot wifi.

So I'm 100% sure that I'm using BIS service with my Z10.

Cheers from Barcelona!
    04-05-13 05:19 AM
    Using BIS with Z10 is waste of money by my opinion.

BIS is only thing why in the past BB was not my main device. With my mobile carrier I already have plan which includes 600 minutes + 2 GB data and paying extra for BIS and blackberry data plan was waist of money for me.

Mainly because sometimes I am in areas like my vacation house on near by mountain, where mobile network coverage is bad - it has only Edge data connection available and I prefer to use internet via WiFi because of that. And BIS was limiting my access to emails and web with best possible speed .

Since BB 10 BIS is discontinued - I switched immediately back from Android to Blackberry and now Z10 is my main device and it will be in years to come because now BB suits all my needs and requirements.

I never needed both BIS and BES , because I never needed them and I prefer to use VPN always instead , to access my bank accounts when abroad and to unblock limitations of current mobile network in countries like UAE, Egypt etc. For e-banking for example 99% banks limit access to your e-banking account is possible only if you have IP in same country in which you have your bank account.
    04-05-13 05:33 AM
    I've said it in every other one of these threads but here it goes anyway.

2010-2012: BIS is outdated and needs to go to compete with Android and ios data compression isn't needed in the days of hspa+ and LTE

2013: wtf??? Where is BIS blackberry is dead without it.

Wash rinse and repeat.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 06:01 AM
    I will say this again, BIS was taken out because the carriers didn't want to pay BlackBerry for using BIS. So some carriers offloaded a long time ago a BIS charge onto your current accounts and other carriers has BIS built in to the cost, and other carriers well they just say you do or don't need BIS.

So please for the LOVE OF GOD, talk to your carriers and demand that they tell BlackBerry they need BIS back. This has nothing to do with BlackBerry. They are losing major revenue from carriers by not having BIS but that is because the carriers demanded this.

Having a BB10 device, there are certain features that still use a form of BIS to communicate with the BlackBerry NOC servers. Bell Canada states upfront that you still need a BIS enabled package to use the Z10. So it's there, just not in the compressed data or BlackBerry.net way.

And for those b!tching about data, get over it, welcome to the world of LTE/4G speeds and uncapped data speeds without being crippled by BB's NOC servers!
    04-05-13 06:39 AM
    I would like to see BIS come back and implemented the way of one of BBRY's more recent patents. Basically that patent was if you are not roaming and in 3G/4G a phone would work like the Z10 does now, with the phone doing all the work, but if in 2G or roaming (like international), then a BIS-like service would kick in bringing the compression and e-mail handling. I think that if they implemented this it would make both the pro-BIS and anti-BIS crowds happy. I for one will miss BIS for traveling internationally and not having to swap SIMs to do it!
    04-05-13 10:34 AM
    There is a general misconception that the BIS is slow on Z10... there is no difference whatsoever in speeds... However, it definitely was crippling on legacy software...

Yes, I have been using it...
    Yes, my POP enabled gmail gets pushed instantly..
    Yes, my data gets compressed...a 9 page pdf file is 32 Kb...

BTW, I think the reason why BBRY has it as an option is because they were probably reaching the limit on there servers, all those outages and stuff... and that even if BIS goes down people still have a way to connect to their data...

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 11:11 AM
    Hi,

I would like to have BIS back as well.
    At least there should be an option. If you want BIS than use the APN from Blackberry if not, use the one from your provider like android or apple does.

The reason why I want it back is easy. I use just 2G because of battery usage. So speed is not that important for me. But I want the security and data compression of BIS back. If I am on roming I was able to work with my 9900 as normal and I never reached the 25MB/per week. No I need 50MB per day.......

So Blackberry: Please bing the option back so that I can decise what I want: Fast or secure!

RJR
    04-08-13 11:41 AM
    Hi,

I would like to have BIS back as well.
    At least there should be an option. If you want BIS than use the APN from Blackberry if not, use the one from your provider like android or apple does.

The reason why I want it back is easy. I use just 2G because of battery usage. So speed is not that important for me. But I want the security and data compression of BIS back. If I am on roming I was able to work with my 9900 as normal and I never reached the 25MB/per week. No I need 50MB per day.......

So Blackberry: Please bing the option back so that I can decise what I want: Fast or secure!

RJR
    Talk to your carrier, they pressured BlackBerry into dropping BIS in BB10 because the carrier had to pay fees to BlackBerry for BIS, which some carriers charged extra for onto the consumers, and other carriers ate the cost and paid BlackBerry out of their own pockets.

The carriers demanded change, and BlackBerry listened and made the change, and it's going to cost them a lot of money because that was part of their revenue stream.
    04-08-13 11:49 AM
37 12