I can't wrap my head around calling the new handset "zed 10"! Sounds like a character from a b-movie (sci-fi).

Names like London, and Lisbon sound much classier!

After all, we already have the OS called BB10. Making a handset with almost the same characters is dumb!
    harshalbid271 likes this.
    01-02-13 01:58 AM
    Who cares what they call it. People will just see it as a blackberry.

Will Z make it be any less of a phone? Z Is generally a high performance designation.
    Masahiro likes this.
    01-02-13 02:08 AM
    The Z10 name is not confirmed, it is simply that whoever runs cb forums seems to like it and have switched the forum name, but as far as the city names, those were never going to be device names rather than just internal codenames.
    01-02-13 04:47 AM
    I agree to a certain extent that the name doesnt matter AS LONG as it is not called a bold, torch or curve or any other name the legacy os' use to carry. they need to separate themselves from that.

I completely agree with you op though, the city names are way better. there is definetely an elegance about them.. especially London, i took a liking to that one!
    01-02-13 04:52 AM
    I do like the city names though, does add a touch of class and sophistication. I think a name can be important, and can really help with marketing. The London name for example opens up a whole realm of marketing possibilities, so the name is not to be overlooked.
    01-02-13 05:43 AM
    i kinda liked the city names also. We will see Jan 30th what they will call them!
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    01-02-13 05:50 AM
    Zee 10 sounds cool. But zed doesn't
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-02-13 07:17 AM
    I think they will have names and the Z10, X10, etc. will be the model, for example London Z10 (like Curve 9380, though I doubt they will keep the city names). This will help build continuity between generations just as Bold, Curve, Torch, Tour, etc did previously.
    01-02-13 08:15 AM
    All Hail Zee10! You know, like this guy >

K, all kidding aside I don't care for the name but the city names were nice. I think some people might be offended if their city name was given to the lowest spec'd phone though. So I think they changed the naming scheme because of that. They could use constellation names. Orion is my fave

EDIT: spelling sucks
    Last edited by dentynefire; 01-02-13 at 09:54 AM.
    01-02-13 09:27 AM
    All Hail Zee10! You know, like this guy >

K, all kidding aside I don't care for the name but the city names were nice. I think some people might be offended if their city name was given to the lowest spec'd phone though. So I think they changed the naming scheme because of that. They could use constellation names. Orion is my fave

EDIT: spelling sucks
    Or how about Nordic gods? Thor comes to mind
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-02-13 11:01 AM
    I like Z.

kbZ
    01-02-13 11:18 AM
    Or how about Nordic gods? Thor comes to mind
    How about "Odin"? As long as they don't use Loki!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    01-02-13 11:37 AM
    I like Z too. Another phone I am waiting for is called a Z too. Sony Xperia Z.

"How about "Odin"? As long as they don't use Loki!"
    Another Xperia's code name was Odin, the Xperia ZL
    01-02-13 11:51 AM
    How about they name the BlackBerry 10 smartphones after the days of the week? The BlackBerry Wednesday could be all matte black with a smoky-glass display and a twisted voice-response feature along with producing random electrical shocks (vibrations), scary notification sounds, creepy icons and theme. As for the BlackBerry Friday, a hard-working, loyal companion, etc.
    01-02-13 11:55 AM
    London, Lisbon etc. are internal codenames, just like every phone they've released beforehand. It's used during the design and test phase of the phone development.
    01-02-13 01:54 PM
    They really do need to reconsider the Z and X names being bandied about for the BB10 devices, as it may confuse some consumers. For example, Sony's next versions of their Xperia smartphone are supposedly being called the Xperia Z and Xperia ZL. There's been earlier posts about other products with names similar to the Z10 and X10 and some of them have been phones. While I can see the reasoning behind the possible dropping of earlier model names in order to make a fresh start with BB10, hopefully the Z10 and X10 names are red herrings and we'll get the real names on January 30th.
    01-02-13 03:31 PM
    So do we expect a maximum of 26 models using BB10? After which we get the Zed 11 or the Zed 10.1?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    01-02-13 04:34 PM
    I agree I don't like the Z10 name, I'd much prefer an actual word. Same as car companies, names are so much easier to remember (Focus, Passat, Altima) as apposed to GX45, EX45, FX45, you can't keep track of them...

I know London was always a code name, but it would be kinda neat if they named all their devices after cities. Although what do you name the cheap devices? Might get kind of offensive.
    01-02-13 06:17 PM
    I agree with the OP and don't like the Z and X designations. Hopefully, RIM did some research with focus groups and came up with something actually marketable.

Z10 and X10 sound like they belong on a car (see Camaro Z28).
    01-02-13 06:29 PM
    How about "Odin"? As long as they don't use Loki!
    "Odin" was the codename for the Storm2 9550. I always thought that had a nice ring to it, along with the BlackBerry "Onyx" (9700 code name).

As for the city names, it would end up being far too political.
    01-02-13 06:30 PM
    As for the city names, it would end up being far too political.
    Although you're absolutely right about this, if they had to go that way it would have been cool to use Canadian city names for all their models in honor honour of the maker's heritage.
    01-02-13 06:37 PM
    Although you're absolutely right about this, if they had to go that way it would have been cool to use Canadian city names for all their models in honor honour of the maker's heritage.
    Maybe, but if it's anything like the NHL, everyone will hate the BlackBerry Toronto, no one from Calgary would buy the BlackBerry Edmonton (and vice versa), and the BlackBerry Vancouver will have the best specs of all of them. Well, until the BlackBerry Edmonton takes over the entire smartphone industry in a few years.

Err, where was I? Oh yes. To honour their Canadian heritage, I propose they use iconic animal names instead. Behold, the BlackBerry Moose (with an 18inch, err 45.7cm display), BlackBerry Canada Goose (comes with a unique notification tone that goes "honk"), as well as the keyboard model, the BlackBerry Beaver (clickity-clack).
    01-02-13 06:50 PM
    ... as well as the keyboard model, the BlackBerry Beaver (clickity-clack).
    I'm gonna guess that's the all-touch model. I'll take two please!
    01-02-13 07:01 PM