Methinks the roomful of college students employed by Sammy in Seoul is working overtime tonight.

Posted via CB10
    Right because at the moment Blackberry BB10 phones are taking all their sales. Those Chinese companies aren't the problem after all. I'm sure you have some facts that helped you draw this conclusion. Lets use Occam's razor since he was a smart guy.

" It states that among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better."

So that leads me to think this is a problem with the hardware / software.
    Genghis2k3 likes this.
    08-13-14 11:00 AM
    A similar thing happened with my wife's Z10. It was purchased new from the carrier. She had it for just over a year and one day while she was at work it started rebooting on its own. She never had any issues with it prior to this. It would come back up from the reboot and seemed fine but after half hour to an hour it would reboot again. Then at one point during the day it went to this solid blue screen. There was no text on the screen. She left it like that and it eventually rebooted and came back up again. Later that night it shut off and could not be turned on. I tried different batteries, leaving it charging overnight and I tried various methods of reloading the os but could not get it to come back to life. It was out of warranty and she did not have an upgrade available so I gave her my old iPhone 4s to use until she could upgrade. She hated the iPhone so I had to give her my Z10 and used my upgrade to get a Q10.

I have no idea what caused this but I suspect it is a hardware failure.
    08-13-14 11:37 AM
    My initial reaction was this was a BS post. And it may be - - however, there does seem to be several reports of the Z10 ONLY. (Possibly STL-100-3?) having this issue. It appears to be a result of a faulty battery compartment not keeping the battery snug against its contacts. The result is voltage fluctuation through the system which I imagine is corrupting the underlying programming of the device.

A hardware issue. A rare one to be certain, but for what it's worth, reported by numerous users over time.
    FF22 and Carjackd like this.
    08-13-14 11:41 AM

Shouldn't this be enough to suggest the OP wasn't a BS post? While the issue may not be common as suggested in the OP, it's apparently not as rare as some of you would suggest.

I've received the blue screen, my phone rebooted, and it never happened again - I never mentioned it on this site. I'm sure several others with the same experience never mentioned it (prior to this thread).

Btw, a higher post count doesn't give your comment more validity - as demonstrated in this thread. I thought that silliness had died down.
    08-13-14 12:05 PM
    Z10 ONLY. (Possibly STL-100-3?) having this issue.
    Might be worthwhile drilling down the users saying so on here to see if it is a specific variant?
    08-13-14 12:09 PM
    I have been using BlackBerry devices since 2000 and never encountered it, Bunga's post makes a lot of sense, however I'm not saying it's not possible.

This is a pretty rare can I would only assume

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30!!!
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-13-14 12:12 PM
    ...STL100-4
    08-13-14 12:16 PM
    Right because at the moment Blackberry BB10 phones are taking all their sales. Those Chinese companies aren't the problem after all. I'm sure you have some facts that helped you draw this conclusion. Lets use Occam's razor since he was a smart guy.

" It states that among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better."

So that leads me to think this is a problem with the hardware / software.
    Layman translation: it is what it is!
    08-13-14 12:31 PM
    Shouldn't this be enough to suggest the OP wasn't a BS post? While the issue may not be common as suggested in the OP, it's apparently not as rare as some of you would suggest.

I've received the blue screen, my phone rebooted, and it never happened again - I never mentioned it on this site. I'm sure several others with the same experience never mentioned it (prior to this thread).

Btw, a higher post count doesn't give your comment more validity - as demonstrated in this thread. I thought that silliness had died down.
    I'm not sure what higher post counts have to do with any of the response to this.

The fact is that it is not a common topic in these forums, it is in fact rare at best.

And again to answer the OP , outside of the few threads that were pointed out, it is extremely uncommon, it certainly is not running rampant through the forums.

My assumption would be a hardware issue and more than likely linked to the battery or its terminals.

08-13-14 12:35 PM
    Just to add to that....lets try and play nice ladies and Gentlemen we are all hear to help each other and offer our experience

rcs36 and thatplaybookguy like this.
    08-13-14 12:41 PM
    Just to add to that....lets try and play nice ladies and Gentlemen we are all hear to help each other and offer our experience

Amen to that! Too many negative posts on these forums....they were designed to help.
    Carjackd, Elite1 and Genghis2k3 like this.
    08-13-14 12:53 PM

The post count reference came from bungaboy who suggested the only two complaining had 3 and 1 posts.

"Rare at best" in the forums may be a stretch if you consider the time frame of the threads listed by @scrannel. Stating you've never heard of the issue is one thing, but suggesting it's a rare or non existent issue is another. Btw, I've been using BlackBerrys exclusively for years and I never experienced the blue screen until this past weekend.

You're right - let's play nice. No need for the troll accusations/suggestions because you're not aware of an issue. This is directed at all responders - not you.
    08-13-14 12:55 PM
    The post count reference came from bungaboy who suggested the only two complaining had 3 and 1 posts.

"Rare at best" in the forums may be a stretch if you consider the time frame of the threads listed by @scrannel. Stating you've never heard of the issue is one thing, but suggesting it's a rare or non existent issue is another. Btw, I've been using BlackBerrys exclusively for years and I never experienced the blue screen until this past weekend.

You're right - let's play nice. No need for the troll accusations/suggestions because you're not aware of an issue. This is directed at all responders - not you.
    I agree but in Bunga's defense we have all seen many come to this forum to troll,

In fact, I have been in the same situation as the OP. I had been a member here for years under a different user name and after purchasing my z10 on launch day, I ran into some issues with blue tooth, I signed up under a new account as I lost my old log in. I inquired about the issue by starting a thread and some were quick to jump that I was trolling.

It's really a shame that the ones that come here for help are quickly labeled because of a selected few.

08-13-14 01:11 PM
    Amen to that! Too many negative posts on these forums....they were designed to help.
    RCS....it is getting a lot better! the Mods have done a bang up job keeping it under control. Kevin had also made an announcement about it a while back...I believe January....and things have been a lot more positive around here.

Although, I will say...BlackBerry and Chen have given us all a reason to be positive!

Be Cool Peeps

Elite1 likes this.
    08-13-14 01:15 PM
    Holy crap! Your phone caught Windows XP. Worst virus ever.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-13-14 01:34 PM
    First I've heard of this. Must be cross contamination with Windows Operating System.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    anon(1035135) likes this.
    08-13-14 02:01 PM
    To give some clarity. It is not a BSOD as you would experience on a Windows device crashing to DOS and displaying a memory dump screen. Many smartphones including Android and IOS when there is an unrecoverable corruption to the underlying OS will fail to a plain, blank, screen, which just happens to be blue.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    08-13-14 02:12 PM
    I had it happen twice on my Z10, and my g/f had is once.

I started a thread on it.

But, it's been almost a year now and we're happy with our new Z10's.
    08-13-14 02:21 PM
    Just did a google search, found this video. apparently its a real thing:

here's my search query : https://www.google.ca/search?q=blue+...AYPM8gfhtYHADQ
    ronfc likes this.
    08-13-14 02:28 PM
    I had a lot of issues with my Z10 but this, or anything like it, was not one of them. In fact, this is the first I've heard of it.
    08-13-14 03:08 PM
    Its happen to me recently after the last update, when my battery is very low its turn to black screen then blue screen then a screen with dots, and after plug-in the charger, its turn on and turn off after a 2 3 minutes, that happens twice, (restart) i thought im the only one, but its seems there is a common problem, stl100-1 user

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 03:15 PM
    Failed boot in that video. Just like any computer, I would guess corrupt data probably because of bad internal storage (much like a hard drive going on a computer). Only way to even have a clue to knowing whats gone wrong with something like this is to have external testing equipment that run diags on the components to see if they are functioning ok. In some cases you might have blocks flagged and remapped (lose a bit of storage) and it works without issue, but if your storage is full or so corrupted you can end up with a lot of nothing. That's assuming a lot is similar to how pc hardware handles these type of issues.

I would bet on hardware failure.
    08-13-14 03:16 PM
    About a month ago, my Z10 flashed the blue screen of death three times before it eventually stopped turning on.

On google and crackberry forums, everyone is saying it is a hardware problem but I haven't seen an official response from someone at Blackberry at all. It kind of discomforts me that it is such a common problem and none of the staff are talking about it at supportforums.blackberry.com.

I was thinking of buying another z10 from shopblackberry.com but have 0 confidence in it, being afraid it will just go down the same road as my old one.

Is anyone else sort of disappointed about this?
    No a common problem is the home button on the iPhone stop working and instead of why you pay for a 700 dollar device and pieces stop working they just throw another one at you to have the same thing happen later in and not explain why the button stops.

Never had a blue screen of death on z10. Sorry. Not happening.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    08-13-14 03:18 PM
    Had this happen twice on my Dev alpha a, but never on my z10. Still, it's clear it does happen.
    08-13-14 03:40 PM
121 1234 ...