I have a Z10 with 10.2.1.2977. I have a total of about 1200 contacts. I noticed a few days back that I have around 1400 contacts, and that some contacts have duplicates which are empty when I open them. My 1200 contacts are synced through Gmail, and these additional contacts were in local memory. I tried the clear all local contacts option, but that didn't delete them.

I removed all contacts using an app called Contact Manager, and restored using Gmail. All was fine, but only for a few hours. After that, my phone got pretty hot, so I opened the contacts app and saw the number of contacts increasing in front of me, to the point that there is one duplicate for each contact.

I have tried deleting all contacts and restoring them to local phone storage instead of syncing from Google, but again after a few hours the phone duplicates them.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 10:00 AM
    I would restart the phone (see below)

Backup your contacts, clean, if possible again.

You might try removing your gmail account and re-adding it. You might also consider NOT syncing contacts with gmail, at least, as a test.

Try a restart:

Press and HOLD both Vol Up/Down buttons. Keep holding while the screen goes fully black (ignore the screenshot), keep holding through the Black/White logo and when the Colored Logo shows up, release those buttons.

If you have the STL100-1 variant the volume button reset method doesn't work. In that case, Press and HOLD the Power On Button until you see the LOGO as above
    07-13-14 10:27 AM
    I was having a similar issue. I stopped sync with Gmail (I'm now using a BBworld app to back up/restore), went through and removed dupes. 99% OK now, with the occasional weirdness that I cannot explain. But minor. Stopping the Gmail sync was the biggest help.
    07-13-14 11:01 AM
    If you don't like Gmail for cloud backup of your contacts, get "Backup Pro" from BlackBerry World and sync your contacts manually with your Dropbox or Box account.

Backup Pro is rock-solid and no other app comes close in terms of features, reliability, and ease of use.

You can also do some interesting things with the backup Zip file if you wanted to get fancy.

And while your at it, why not backup your calendar, SMS, and Remember notes too.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 11:30 AM
    @F2

I've tried restarting the way you mentioned, I've tried not syncing with Google, nothing seems to help.

As soon as a few hours or so have passed once I restore the contacts, it duplicates them. And all the duplicates only have the same name, with no telephone number. Even the names are not copied exactly. For example if I have stored a name completely in the first name, the duplicate breaks the name into first, middle and last name.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 03:11 AM
    Make sure that names are not being stored or copied from the sim card. They can be turned off in Contacts, swipe down and press the Settings icon. Scroll around and turn on/off the various locations where contacts can be shown.

After that, I'm out of ideas but others may have ideas.
    07-14-14 08:34 AM
    It's not showing any other contacts.

Its duplicating them, I've seen the number of contacts increasing gradually after restoring if I open the contacts app and scroll up a little to see total number of contacts

Posted via CB10
    07-17-14 02:11 AM
    Solved. Deleted Viber, I believe it's contact sync thing was causing contacts to duplicate.

Also disabled contacts sync on Skype, but skype still syncing with my address book. I only have 8 contacts on Skype though, so no big deal.

All is well for now

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-24-14 06:14 AM
    jinn

Thanks for reporting back what worked in your case. It might help others.
    07-24-14 08:54 AM
    Hi guys,

I managed to fix this issue by going to Viber settings > general > sync contacts.

Uncheck that button and your duplicates will vanish in a little while.

Thanks.

BB Q10 10.3.1.396
    Viber Ver 4.3.3
    10-24-14 03:43 AM