Can you please guide me regarding these models? Whats the problem in these?
    The STL100-1 model uses a different CPU and GPU compared to the other Z10 and Q10 models. It uses a CPU from Texas Instruments and a PowerVR GPU while the others use a Qualcomm CPU/GPU combination. The performance of both is not as different as some people might make you believe. There are comparison videos available online. The PowerVR GPU is actually slightly more powerful than the Qualcomm. The models have a different physical layout under the hood. Other main difference is the radio technology. STL100-1 is not compatible with LTE. All the other variants are LTE compatible. STL100-3 is the most versatile when it comes to LTE compatibility and that's the one they sell on ShopBlackberry.com. It's also the AT&T model. I've owned an STL100-1 model for about a year now and it works fine for me. The only issue I've had can be traced to me using aftermarket or even older BlackBerry chargers that were not up to the task for these phones. They can cause the battery indicator to go out of synch with the real battery power causing a temporary condition called "battery miscalibration". This can cause the phone to shut off when the battery appears to still have power and also not appear to charge up to 100 percent. I've seen and heard that happening with other variants as well and also other models and even android phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 so it's not only limited to the STL100-1 models. From the reports it seems as if it's more prevalent and easy to trigger off on the STL100-1 model though. If it ever occurs it's very easy to reset the battery calibration by taking the battery out for a half hour to an hour then replacing it and charging the phone with the original charger. Sticking to the original charger or high quality chargers in general seems to eliminate this issue for me. The only other reason I think the STL100-1 variant has a bad name is because since it uses different hardware the OS and radio files must be tailored for it specifically. This has meant that when OS's have been leaked the STL100-1 variant has many times got left out or had to wait longer for leaked OS's which the others got. There were other instances where the STL100-1 got some leaks first as well but those have been rare. This has never been the case with official OS releases though and the STL100-1 gets it's official releases on a similar schedule as all of the other models. Hope that helps clear up any misconceptions about the differences. It's not bad or worse like some people make it out to be. It's just slightly different in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CyberMan2013; 07-22-14 at 09:55 PM.
    TheB123 likes this.
    07-22-14 03:43 PM
    Only 4 hours max? Are you sure!? Battery life is definitely important as I travel quite often, usually quarterly, and Im on the road for around 18 hours, 8 times a year.

Dont know whats up with the battery, but im definitely not carrying extra batteries with me.
    If you don't mind the phone being a little fatter then this battery will last you the whole day for sure. Usually lasts me 2-3 days with minimal/medium use. Extended 4500mAh LS1 LS 1 Battery Back Cover for Blackberry Z10 Z 10 BB10 | eBay
    07-23-14 03:24 AM
    People usually dont prefer Chinese phones because they do not get Android updates and should go obsolete in less than a year.
    I need a phone that will be supported with new software updates. Moto G got Kit Kat, and Motorolla has promised Android L update as well for it.
    Similarly, Z10 should also get the 10.3.1 once the ugly passport is out.
    That was ages ago. Xiaomi issues weekly updates, the call it "orange friday" as it's every Friday unless it's a national holiday.

Oppo and one plus have the option of using a custom cyanogen built rom, officially supported. That offers even better updates.

Out of the reputable android manufactures from China, Huawei is the only one that's a little slow at updates.

Ok next topic : stl100-1

Main issue is the fact it uses a texas instruments chipset. Texas instruments has exited the business. Phones are not like windows pc's where you just install a new os. BlackBerry literally has no one to get tech support from when tailoring the update to its chipset. This is another reason why Z10 support will be ending soon as the stl100-1 is a little bit of a lead ball around the Z10 family's legs. If they release for other variants only, there will be a lot of dissatisfied customers...
    TheB123 likes this.
    07-23-14 03:45 AM
    Just don't go to a Xiaomi. Just don't and you'll thank yourself later.
    Can you be more specific? We have one of the newer ones at work and it's pretty sharp actually, IMO
    afhstingray likes this.
    07-23-14 06:00 AM
    Can you be more specific? We have one of the newer ones at work and it's pretty sharp actually, IMO
    It's really sad how some of these posters never even set their hands on these devices yet go Oooo omgggggwtfbbq it's Chinese!!! Stay away.

Yet claim people say BlackBerry sucks because they haven't used BlackBerry 10.

Pathetic really. I've seen posts about how chinese hardware is flimsy, never updated bla bla. Clearly not true across the board.
    kbill1984 and Berry_Pink like this.
    07-23-14 06:05 AM
    So it seems like Z10 STL 100-1 is a turn off and its a bummer that only this model is available in my area.
    07-23-14 11:06 AM
    So it seems like Z10 STL 100-1 is a turn off and its a bummer that only this model is available in my area.
    EBay?
    divyan likes this.
    07-23-14 01:21 PM
    EBay?
    Ebay does not deliver in Pakistan.
    07-24-14 12:39 AM
    It's not bad or worse like some people make it out to be. It's just slightly different in my opinion.
    This.
    I'm using mine for two weeks now, and it was an flawless experience. Yes, yesterday my battery gauge went a bit offset, by some 10% down, but I "restarted" it easily during night by simply removing battery, and it's perfectly fine again. I think it went offset, because I charged my Z10 via PC USB slot the day before.
    Nevermind, everything is great again.

The moral of the story:
    If you can't find any model other than 100-1, just go for it. It's not a disaster that reading CB pages will make you think it is.

Posted via Berry the Black
    07-24-14 02:15 AM
    Just don't go to a Xiaomi. Just don't and you'll thank yourself later.
    Wow, where have you been living? Under the rocks?! Before you speak another word, have a look at Xiaomi Mi4.

Posted via CB10
    afhstingray likes this.
    07-24-14 02:42 AM
    It's not about performance that I'm concerned about. It's about security. At least in China, where consumer electronics are concerned, you wouldn't want to buy computers or phones inside that country because it's likely to have devices and means for "monitoring" its citizens. Companies based in China are forced to comply in order to do business. No matter how flashy the company or how Apple-esque the phone or how sharp, as you say.

Proof: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...?device=mobile

Call me a fear-mongerer if you want. That's why I'd stick to a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 03:01 AM
    OK, you're fear mongering. If you're really concerned about monitoring but need a phone, then get the Black Phone.

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    07-24-14 05:49 AM
    The only thing bit has twice as much of is battery life and the price. Maths classes needed perhaps?
    The Z30 has a GPU that is quad-core; Adreno 320. The CPU is dual core; Snapdragon. So that is six cores in total right?
    The Z10 has a single core GPU and a dual core CPU, so that one is just three cores.
    Lots of people are saying the Z30 is muuuch quicker than the Z10, probable that its because it can apply 6 cores to the job instead of the three the Z10 has.
    Yes the battery is also huge compared to the Z10.
    Yes the speakers are also huge compared to the Z10.
    Yes the screen is also bigger.
    Yes there are many more things about the Z30 hardware that people seem to be missing out not knowing.
    ... I'm comfortable with the maths thanks.
    07-24-14 06:33 AM
    It's not about performance that I'm concerned about. It's about security. At least in China, where consumer electronics are concerned, you wouldn't want to buy computers or phones inside that country because it's likely to have devices and means for "monitoring" its citizens. Companies based in China are forced to comply in order to do business. No matter how flashy the company or how Apple-esque the phone or how sharp, as you say.

Proof: German security firm: Chinese-made smartphone comes preloaded with spy software - Winnipeg Free Press

Posted via CB10
    If you really think that, please stick with a Nokia 3310. Oh wait, I forgot. They also monitor the cell towers. And some governments even have access to BIS traffic....

OMG..... john Chen is chinese?!?!!! he must be a SPYYYYYYYY
    kbill1984 likes this.
    07-24-14 06:35 AM
    This.
    I'm using mine for two weeks now, and it was an flawless experience. Yes, yesterday my battery gauge went a bit offset, by some 10% down, but I "restarted" it easily during night by simply removing battery, and it's perfectly fine again. I think it went offset, because I charged my Z10 via PC USB slot the day before.
    Nevermind, everything is great again.

The moral of the story:
    If you can't find any model other than 100-1, just go for it. It's not a disaster that reading CB pages will make you think it is.

Posted via Berry the Black
    Thanks. This is comforting. I have contacted 6 retailers already that are selling Z10 and everyone has 100-1 model.
    07-24-14 10:04 AM

Proof: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...?device=mobile

Posted via CB10
    Lmao someone needs a tin foil hat! Did you read about how NSA put spyware on iPhone? I hope you don't use "convenience" features like Google, carrier services etc. And stay home 24/7, because everything you do is monitored regardless you use a BlackBerry or not.

Posted via CB10
    kbill1984 likes this.
    07-24-14 11:16 AM
    Lmao someone needs a tin foil hat! Did you read about how NSA put spyware on iPhone? I hope you don't use "convenience" features like Google, carrier services etc. And stay home 24/7, because everything you do is monitored regardless you use a BlackBerry or not.

Posted via CB10
    Oh how saddening it is to see people make mockery and twist things when they clearly don't know the differences. NSA and Chinese (I'm talking PRC, not Taiwan), are different. If you want to talk NSA, then talk NSA, but this is totally different AND on another level.

What I'm trying to say is that a BlackBerry would be better over a Xiaomi. And I own a BlackBerry.

You see, in the USA and the western speaking world there is what is called the rule of law.

In the China, the state and the Chinese Communist Party are one and same. It's all about maintaining power of the Party through these means. I was trying to convey to the OP that just don't even consider owning a phone from a Chinese company. Just don't, no matter what reasons are.

People just don't take care and READ between the lines. Sheesh.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 05:32 PM
    I've owned motorola products in the past to my regret. Would never touch one again. Ever. So z10 or motorola? No question z10. Basically it comes down to what you want. If you love apps, are married to google or ios, then you won't be happy. If you just want messaging, some critical apps (some not all), and security is high on your list, then BlackBerry z10 is for you. Be aware that your experience with battery life on a z10 is a crap shoot. Some are good (1day and a 1/2) to poor (>1 day). Seems to depend on the handset. I own two z10's and am happy with both.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-14 05:43 PM
    I've owned motorola products in the past to my regret. Would never touch one again. Ever. So z10 or motorola? No question z10. Basically it comes down to what you want. If you love apps, are married to google or ios, then you won't be happy. If you just want messaging, some critical apps (some not all), and security is high on your list, then BlackBerry z10 is for you. Be aware that your experience with battery life on a z10 is a crap shoot. Some are good (1day and a 1/2) to poor (>1 day). Seems to depend on the handset. I own two z10's and am happy with both.

Posted via CB10
    Will the STL 100-1 get the 10.3.1 update? People have been claiming that it should not, but it wont make sense to give updates to some models of Z10.

Why would you have two z10s?
    07-25-14 06:44 AM
    Will the STL 100-1 get the 10.3.1 update? People have been claiming that it should not, but it wont make sense to give updates to some models of Z10.

Why would you have two z10s?
    No it will definitely get 10.3.

But because of the issues with the chipset the entire Z10 series will only receive minor updates after 10.3 according to my sources.
    07-25-14 07:52 AM
    The Z30 has a GPU that is quad-core; Adreno 320. The CPU is dual core; Snapdragon. So that is six cores in total right?
    The Z10 has a single core GPU and a dual core CPU, so that one is just three cores.
    Lots of people are saying the Z30 is muuuch quicker than the Z10, probable that its because it can apply 6 cores to the job instead of the three the Z10 has.
    Yes the battery is also huge compared to the Z10.
    Yes the speakers are also huge compared to the Z10.
    Yes the screen is also bigger.
    Yes there are many more things about the Z30 hardware that people seem to be missing out not knowing.
    ... I'm comfortable with the maths thanks.
    Talk about cherry picking. Camera, screen double? No. In fact lower dpi and not so great amoled screen on the Z30. Cpu clock double? No. CPU cores double? No.

Who gives a **** about the speakers. Both are good for navigation prompts and conference calling. GPU performance? I'm sorry, but you do realise almost all games perform identically on all the BlackBerry 10 devices right? Because the market sbhare is so small they optimise for the lowest common denominator, without wasting time on optimising for each low volume device. So you may have those extra cores but no difference in real life.

The only thing I agree with is battery.
    07-25-14 07:58 AM
    No it will definitely get 10.3.

But because of the issues with the chipset the entire Z10 series will only receive minor updates after 10.3 according to my sources.
    Well, I can either buy a new STL 100-1 or get a used Z30 at the same price. Really confused for now. :/
    07-25-14 08:47 AM
    I just came from an Android powerhouse: Sony Xperia Z1.

Just last year it was arguably the premier Android device in terms of specs, however there is just one issue...

...it runs Android.

Android is great for customization, yet I always find that new Android features are gimmicky and rarely work as advertised, and the OS fragmentation takes away from the experience. Too many steps to get something accomplished, and you have to download an app for everything.

Even something simple like group texting can have issues on certain Android phones.

Ultimately this just gets down to which OS you prefer.

I want to like Android, I really do. I try every couple years...but I always run for the hills once that fresh "brand new" feeling wears off and I realize it is the same Android it has always been, just with some new red lip stick.

Android is the hot European woman you meet at a nightclub uptown. Gorgeous, long legs; grabs your attention. Then after awhile you discover that she is carrying around WAY to much baggage from the past, and that quite frankly, she looks down at you and thinks you are inferior because you are American...well, I'll stop there, you get the picture.

Basically Android isn't as great as it sounds.

I desire an OS that makes things easier, is consistent, and allows the technology to get out of the way so I can get things done.

So far, BlackBerry 10 seems like that home I have been looking for.

Hope this has been of some assistance.

Posted via CB10
    TheB123 likes this.
    07-25-14 08:48 AM
    ..hot European woman you meet at a nightclub uptown. Gorgeous, long legs; grabs your attention. Then after awhile you discover that she is carrying around WAY to much baggage from the past, and that quite frankly, she looks down at you and thinks you are inferior because you are American...well, I'll stop there, you get the picture.
    Posted via CB10
    Just be good to her mother and she will take care about her bitchy daughter.

Posted via CB10
    TheB123 and JamesAndrewBurris like this.
    07-25-14 12:04 PM
    I just came from an Android powerhouse: Sony Xperia Z1.

Just last year it was arguably the premier Android device in terms of specs, however there is just one issue...

...it runs Android.

Android is great for customization, yet I always find that new Android features are gimmicky and rarely work as advertised.

Posted via CB10
    There's the one legitimate criticism that you've made. The big issue is the manufacturers making custom ROMs. It really isn't necessary from 4.1 and later. The vanilla Android UX is simple, stable, and has great features like Google Now and their voice recognition. I've found the voice recognition on Android to be much better than BB10 or Siri.

The best point you made is that it really comes down to OS preference. The Moto G ROM is very close to vanilla Android, which I think is great. I like BB10, but I prefer the customization, apps, and features of Android. The only BB10 app that I wish I could have on Android is The Last Weather App.

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    07-25-14 12:54 PM
304 ... 678910 ...