I bought the phone on a Saturday and was really pressed for time due to a trip scheduled for Sunday morning. So, I had hoped I could plug the new device into my laptop and move all my data over to the new device from my Bold 9900 using Blackberry Desktop. It took me a few minutes to figure out I needed a new app to do this. I cursed RIM for a little while. Never-the-less, after installing Blackberry Link I was able to move a few things and get the Z10 to a usable state. To be honest though, RIM really did a crappy job here. I had expected a much better transition from the Bold 9900 to the Z10. I also would like to see a guide for new users that walk you through this transition. All that being said, It might be in the documents in the box....I never read them

My opinion in the first day of use was really, this thing is going back. Despite following the development of the phone since the beginning, it wasn't the easiest device to transition too. Consequently, if a Blackberry faithful had difficulty, I wonder what a new user to Blackberry must think. I pressed on....

I like the Bold 9900 keyboard. So, I am just going to say, I really don't care for the Z10 keyboard. That being said, it has grown on me. I knew I would miss the Bold keys. So, I am swallowing that pill. I wanted more screen space. Is the Z10 learning how I type? Beats me. It still takes me a couple tries to enter my password unless I go real slow and make sure I touch every key perfectly. And no, I don't have big fat fingers.

The form factor is different. It just doesn't fit in the hands as perfectly as the Bold did for typing. More change, but I can't blame Blackberry. Speaking of typing, I can't decide which way to type on the thing, vertical or horizontal. Neither seems an improvement over the other. Give up one thing for another. Anybody else decide?

So, those are a few of my teething issues.

The good news is this thing really does a bunch of other things great! I won't rehash the list of things, but to suffice to say that it is a large improvement over the Bold 9900. I hated the Z10 initially, but now I am really liking it and I wouldn't be surprised to say in a few more days, I love my Blackberry Z10! I bought a case for it now too which usually means I'm keeping it.

Thanks to those who helped me get off the fence an buy the ZZZZZZZZ.

David

p.s. On another note, as I walked around looking for Z10 cases, I was surprised at how many people selling cases had a Z10 and how few accessories there were presently available. Even the Bestbuy phone sales person had a Z10 and he said he loved. Yep, I said Bestbuy. I never expected that
    04-16-13 09:12 AM
    Glad to see your one step closer to LOVING your Z10 like everyone should!!!
    04-16-13 09:21 AM
    Never-the-less, after installing Blackberry Link I was able to move a few things and get the Z10 to a usable state.
    I've yet to get Link to work. My contacts and calendar are with Gmail, though, so I got them from the cloud with no problem.

My opinion in the first day of use was really, this thing is going back. Despite following the development of the phone since the beginning, it wasn't the easiest device to transition too. Consequently, if a Blackberry faithful had difficulty, I wonder what a new user to Blackberry must think. I pressed on....
    I guess there will be a whole spectrum of reactions from new users. Here's a quick anecdote: I work at a university, and needed some help with the Z10 setup for the campus wifi. I took it to the help desk, which was staffed by a couple of work-study students. I handed the phone to one of them, who asked me how to exit an app to get to the home screen. I showed her the up-swipe. After that, she was off and running. She used the down-swipe to get to settings. I asked her how she knew how to do that. She answered, "It just makes sense," and was immediately navigating through menus like a veteran. This was the day after the T-Mobile release, and she had never set eyes on a Z10 before, nor did she know anything about it.

I like the Bold 9900 keyboard. So, I am just going to say, I really don't care for the Z10 keyboard. That being said, it has grown on me. I knew I would miss the Bold keys. So, I am swallowing that pill. I wanted more screen space. Is the Z10 learning how I type? Beats me. It still takes me a couple tries to enter my password unless I go real slow and make sure I touch every key perfectly. And no, I don't have big fat fingers.
    I'm doing okay with the keyboard, having already swallowed the pill when I left the 9900 for Android and Swype. I still miss Swype, and I hope we get something like it (as an option, not mandatory) on the Z10 eventually. But the Z10 keyboard is working fine for me. I think, however, that the "smart" aspect of the keyboard is turned off in password fields, so you just have to peck accurately for those.

The form factor is different. It just doesn't fit in the hands as perfectly as the Bold did for typing. More change, but I can't blame Blackberry. Speaking of typing, I can't decide which way to type on the thing, vertical or horizontal. Neither seems an improvement over the other. Give up one thing for another. Anybody else decide?
    Portrait here. I swore off landscape after the SideKick. I do have big hands, but I have no problem with the Z10. It does take a while to learn to trust the keyboard.

The good news is this thing really does a bunch of other things great! I won't rehash the list of things, but to suffice to say that it is a large improvement over the Bold 9900. I hated the Z10 initially, but now I am really liking it and I wouldn't be surprised to say in a few more days, I love my Blackberry Z10! I bought a case for it now too which usually means I'm keeping it.
    It grows on you. BlackBerry really did some things right, but it does take a while to grok. I've been waiting for years for the perfect opportunity to use "grok" again; thanks for providing it.

It's not easy to explain the appeal of the Z10, but I think a lot of people have a similar experience to yours. There is some initial frustration, followed by appreciation. I hope this will quietly work to improve BlackBerry's position in the market.

Even the Bestbuy phone sales person had a Z10 and he said he loved. Yep, I said Bestbuy. I never expected that
    I experienced the same thing at Best Buy over the weekend.
    04-16-13 09:31 AM
    Ubizmo,

Thanks for the comments. I did see when I was installing BB Link and moving the data to the device that BB wants you to log into each of the email providers first before moving the data over. Not sure why. But there is an initial warning.
    04-16-13 11:34 AM
    I also am coming from a Bold and its been an interesting transition. Though I had a rough transition because of Link shortcomings, I am up and running and getting comfortable with the new interface.

It's not "love" yet for me either, but I'm no longer considering returning it back to Verizon though I still have more than 10 days before my 2 weeks are up.

The things preventing me from loving it are:
    1. Lack of ability to create and customize notification profiles. Something that was invaluable to me and has kept me a blackberry fan all of these years.

2. Miss the Delete on Handset vs Delete on Server....though not as much as I thought I would as I get used to it not being there

3. Miss the ability to program my VM password...which looks like a Verizon bug...typing the password for VM is a pain right now

4. Miss the ability to begin typing on my Bold to immediately search for contact that I want to call. Searching for a contact is very painful

5. Lack of ability for Link being able to sync and keep updated my Outlook calendar and contacts on my primary laptop.

The good news is that there is so much to like and I'm hoping that some of the items above will be fixed in a future update. What really impressed me was just how quickly I got comfortable and productive with the gesture based interface, something that had kept me from moving to an all touch screen phone for a long time.
    04-16-13 11:59 AM
    ...I guess there will be a whole spectrum of reactions from new users. Here's a quick anecdote: I work at a university, and needed some help with the Z10 setup for the campus wifi. I took it to the help desk, which was staffed by a couple of work-study students. I handed the phone to one of them, who asked me how to exit an app to get to the home screen. I showed her the up-swipe. After that, she was off and running. She used the down-swipe to get to settings. I asked her how she knew how to do that. She answered, "It just makes sense," and was immediately navigating through menus like a veteran. This was the day after the T-Mobile release, and she had never set eyes on a Z10 before, nor did she know anything about it...
    What did she think of it after working with yours?
    04-16-13 12:20 PM
    I am glad that you now like your Z10. Despite some minor annoyances, I love mine. The ATT store rep did the transfer of my data from my 9860 to my Z10, so I didn't have any of the problems that some have complained about. Look forward to hearing about what finally cause you to love it, if and when that happens.
    04-16-13 01:35 PM