Our conclusion? In most situations, the BlackBerry Z10 is a pretty sturdy smartphone. But if you plan on making calls in the heart of any city, buy a strong case or be very, very careful.

http://mashable.com/2013/02/05/black...z10-drop-test/
    02-06-13 02:49 AM
    I'm about to start crying...dont do it aaa..
    02-06-13 02:53 AM
    cccan't...look away....
    02-06-13 03:01 AM
    ouch! gesture did no work big time and no keypad to move the apps around. Must be reaaaaaally careful handling it especially when we are on one hand texting and walking at the same time. Anyway, it did not stop me from getting one though.
    BB10! Faster hit Malaysia!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    02-06-13 03:08 AM
    The good news though is the screen looks easy to change in the videos from a few months ago showing all the parts of the Z10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-06-13 03:22 AM
    What did he do to that girl to make her run away so fast???
    Flexin likes this.
    02-06-13 03:41 AM
    Definitely didn't expect it to be as bulletproof as my 9900 was hahah

Note to self: Don't drop it from above 5 feet on to concrete.
    02-06-13 03:48 AM
    It's actually quite understandable that the gestures (and the rest of the touchscreen) don't work once the screen is smashed.

If they'd been paying attention (and read up on the technical side of the Z10), they would have known that they touch sensitive membrane, which controls the gestures, is attached directly to the back of the screen itself to save weight (and probably costs), and increase the touchscreen's precision.

So, as soon as the screen cracks, so does the membrane and you are, to use the technical terminology, screwed

Si.
    02-06-13 04:22 AM
    If they used the same device it could be that each drop exponentially weakened the device and made the next drop that much more susceptible to damage.

I wonder if the first drop was done on pavement if it still would've cracked.
    amjass12, Vorkosigan and Fatz_z like this.
    02-06-13 04:30 AM
    Don't... Don't... Oh no!!! Can't watch... Is she going to be alright?

Nah.. Expected... It couldn't be as sturdy as my poolwadingtabledropper 9800.

By the time it hit Asian countries, I expect the phone to have all the top apps ready and any bugs ironed out.. And in the meantime U guys can test, drop, hack and abuse as much as U want.

And hopefully most of the java apps on bbos is already done ported to BB10.

And I hope Malaysians will get the Z10 at the same time as USA.
    02-06-13 04:43 AM
    If they used the same device it could be that each drop exponentially weakened the device and made the next drop that much more susceptible to damage.

I wonder if the first drop was done on pavement if it still would've cracked.
    very good point... although i just hope that in the state it was in (after dropped on the pavement)

that it is repairable, and not a write-off.. i couldnt afford to buy one outright if this happened to me
    02-06-13 05:23 AM
    Don't they all fail a drop test?
    JR A and meganVee like this.
    02-06-13 05:27 AM
    The z10 is using a version of gorilla glass.
    02-06-13 05:33 AM
    Wow. Shocking. Glass can break when dropped on concrete. Lol.
    My boss discovered this with his iPhone when he dropped it on the concrete floor of the auction barn. Doh!

Good news is they make some great screen protectors now that are supposed protect your screen even if you drop your phone. And if you regularly walk and text I would recommend some kind of case.

Rocket science. Lol.
    JR A likes this.
    02-06-13 06:18 AM
    These drop tests are stupid. Unless you're willing to drop phones dozens or hundreds of times and average out the damage it's simply luck pertaining to what orientation the phone is in when it's hitting the floor.
    JR A likes this.
    02-06-13 06:29 AM
    For my last several phones, BB or other, I use TPU cases. That stuff seems to have a high "coefficient of bounce" compared to other materials. I don't know if it would work on a drop from concrete, though. We don't know if the Z10 screen broke due to contact with the sidewalk or due to stress from contact with some other point.
    02-06-13 07:16 AM
    I this guy for real?? Some of his comments were so ridiculous. Comment #1 - Oh look the back is seperating when we drop it on carpet.. It's a removable battery cover ****** bag... of course it will pop off... Comment #2 - Wood is probably the most forgiving surface to drop your phone on.... really, more forgiving then carpet..
    I'm sure his emplyment was part of some ****** outreach program so I won't give him too hard a time.
    02-06-13 07:16 AM
    Don't... Don't... Oh no!!! Can't watch... Is she going to be alright?

Nah.. Expected... It couldn't be as sturdy as my poolwadingtabledropper 9800.

By the time it hit Asian countries, I expect the phone to have all the top apps ready and any bugs ironed out.. And in the meantime U guys can test, drop, hack and abuse as much as U want.

And hopefully most of the java apps on bbos is already done ported to BB10.

And I hope Malaysians will get the Z10 at the same time as USA.
    My guest is Malaysia will get the Z10 before the US..
    02-06-13 07:24 AM
    Yeah, drop tests seem painfully useless to me.
    02-06-13 07:24 AM
    Yeah, drop tests seem painfully useless to me.
    At least we know it can survive being pelted with little yellow rubber duckies.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    02-06-13 07:37 AM
    The z10 is using a version of gorilla glass.
    I'm sorry, but I think they've said there's some "special" glass strengthening thing goign on, but it is in no way Gorilla Glass.

Correction: BlackBerry Z10 Does Not Use Gorilla Glass - Here's What it is... - N4BB

Si.
    leafs123 likes this.
    02-06-13 07:40 AM
    I'm sorry, but I think they've said there's some "special" glass strengthening thing goign on, but it is in no way Gorilla Glass.

Correction: BlackBerry Z10 Does Not Use Gorilla Glass - Here's What it is... - N4BB

Si.
    Oops, I didn't realize that article was updated. My bad then.
    02-06-13 08:07 AM
    These drop tests are useless really, any touchscreen phone without a case or screen protector is going to smash when dropped. The Iphones and Samsung Galaxy s2 and s3 also will smash if you drop them.

I should know, ive been through 2 iphones and a couple of Galaxy S3's now.

Touchscreen phones arent exactly bombproof so i dont understand what these stupid videos prove in all honesty.
    02-06-13 08:14 AM
    Definitely didn't expect it to be as bulletproof as my 9900 was hahah

Note to self: Don't drop it from above 5 feet on to concrete.
    I once dropped mine onto concrete in front of my foot and kicked it into a steel beam. Didn't even scratch XD
    02-06-13 08:23 AM
    Glad someone else did this, my beautiful Z10 was not harmed in the making of this video! How anyone can just go do that just breaks my heart!
    02-06-13 08:36 AM
32 12