Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By eddy_berry
  • 1 Post By EsJayDee
  • 2 Post By lnichols
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry Z10 could be banned in China.

Hi all

Saw this article on another website. I thought it was one of the dumbest claims I've seen in a while.

Blackberry Z10 gets accused of copying a Chinese phone, could be banned in China!

I live in Beijing and am eagerly awaiting the release of the new phones and the new OS.

Cheers
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Re: Blackberry Z10 could be banned in China.

That phone looks like if the z10 and the iphone 4s had a love child. a little z10 up front, a little 4s around the sides. Hmm but wait! What of these garrish buttons under the screen. no no looks more like some random android was the father. I'm sure apple could have sued this chinese company for something there too. Sooooooo, who gives a rats behind?
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
    morganplus8 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Oh boy here we go!
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

This happens with every big device launch...some Chinese company copies the design and then attempts to sue the actual device manufacturer.

Happened with iPhone 5...didn't stop it.
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry Genius

I hope RIM doesn't have to go through any serious legal disputes before the fans in China, or anywhere, can enjoy the new BB10 devices. That would be unfortunate.
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,267 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

Does RIM traditionally have a presence in China?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask/PM me

Apple's had their share of patent infringement in China too.

Apple accused of iPad patent infringement in China (again) | ZDNet
    Nokia 5100 > Nokia 3390 > Motorola T720i > Siemens M55 > Sony Ericsson k700i > Nokia N73 > BB Pearl 8110 > BB 9000 > BB 9700 > BB 9900
    PB 16GB
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    402 Global Posts

I'm sorry but besides the shape (obviously), they don't look alike to me. It looks like an android phone though.
    Please disregard my typos, I'm using Apple products.

Can't Live Without Green If You Know What I Mean.
    travaz likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,213 Global Posts

The Chinese going after anyone for copying is comical. They have zero respect for IP or patents. Also there were leaks of London back in November 2011 and early 2012 so they can easily prove they didn't copy anything!
    vespajet and dentynefire like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,740 Global Posts

But wait, November 2011, there was a leak of a Blackberry 10 phone already.
    BlackBerry London: is this the first RIM phone with the BBX OS? | The Verge

It's an obscure chinese phone that no one has ever heard of. No one really cares.
    I also believe RIM's prescence in China has been fairly small. China's tech market, has always been a difficult one. From Google to Facebook to Apple. No one has ever had an easy time getting into their markets.

Saw another photo posted by someone in the comment section.
    http://i.imgur.com/5a54a.jpg
    Indeed, there are striking similarities to the outline and physical screen and handset ratios.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

What's funny is no mention when this device was designed. We know the London concept have been around since 2011 when it had flat corners then we saw the flat black leaks in january of 2012 with rounded corners. RIM didn't copy anyone this device may have been the one doing the coping as it also has traits of the iphone
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eddy_berry View Post
    I hope RIM doesn't have to go through any serious legal disputes before the fans in China, or anywhere, can enjoy the new BB10 devices. That would be unfortunate.
    RIM's lawyers will roll over and play dead for the Chinese Government as they did with BASIS International Ltd over the use of 'BBX'. "BASIS says they built up the BBX trademark over the last 25 years to stand for platform-independence. They claim that RIM’s attempt to use the name for their operating system would cause irreparable harm, usurping BBX’s platform-independence and permanently associating it with the BlackBerry ecosystem." (Source: RIM sued over BBX trademark).
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    In my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    RIM's lawyers will roll over and play dead for the Chinese Government as they did with BASIS International Ltd over the use of 'BBX'. "BASIS says they built up the BBX trademark over the last 25 years to stand for platform-independence. They claim that RIMs attempt to use the name for their operating system would cause irreparable harm, usurping BBXs platform-independence and permanently associating it with the BlackBerry ecosystem." (Source: RIM sued over BBX trademark).
    RIM's lawyers won't have to roll over for the Chinese government. If this goes to court RIM will lose since the Chinese tend to side with their companies whether they are right or wrong.
    Bold (9000) | Torch (9800) | Torch (9810) | Z10 OS: 10.2.1.2941
    Playbook 64G WiFi QNX: SOLD
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,740 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    RIM's lawyers will roll over and play dead for the Chinese Government as they did with BASIS International Ltd over the use of 'BBX'. "BASIS says they built up the BBX trademark over the last 25 years to stand for platform-independence. They claim that RIM’s attempt to use the name for their operating system would cause irreparable harm, usurping BBX’s platform-independence and permanently associating it with the BlackBerry ecosystem." (Source: RIM sued over BBX trademark).
    Well, for better or for worse, I kinda like the BB10 name.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,013 Global Posts
    PIN
    I have three

You have to be kidding me. It is flat and Black. What a joke.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts

There is a striking resemblance, I guess it all comes down to who designed their phone first...
    Sent from my Z30, Z10, or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

-BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) -BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig -BlackBerry Z10 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry Z30 WHITE (Unlocked)
    CrackBerry User

I am also in China and keen to get a Z10. I am assuming that it will work in the same way as current BBs, simply contracting a BIS service from China Mobile? I heard that phones only work in China if the the same model is also in sale in China (something to do with type approval) but I am not sure if that is right.

One other key issue is whether or not BB10 is compatible with VPNs. Anyone know? I am currently using Android, which can (usually) connect to commercial VPNs for accessing Facebook, Youtube etc.
    BlackBerry Bold 9780 (little used currently), Samsung Galaxy S2 for personal use, iPhone 4S for work (no choice given)
    BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

7130v --> 8100 --> 9700 --> 9780 + PB
    --> Galaxy S2