So not only does it not backup my phone as it is meant to but the huge feature of remote file access does not work at all.
    It always tells me my computer is not connected to the Internet or it is off when it is clearly on.
    I have signed out and signed back in. There is no firewall. I have tried a lot of what I have seen in these forums to no avail.
    But why am I having to jump through all these hoops. Why hasn't BlackBerry made sure their desktop software for their flagship platform is up to scratch?
    Thorsten Heins was meant to be the start of a new era for BlackBerry, but I am losing faith in their competency.
    It has been nearly four months since BlackBerry 10 has been available and they haven't got a reliable desktop programme. That is very worrying.
    Once the q5 comes out BlackBerry need to blitz Link as this is rapidly becoming a huge turn off for BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:36 AM
    ITunes had been complete junk for like 10years. I take it as proof bad desktop software isn't the end all for a device.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:40 AM
    Itunes is a pain but at least it does what it should, no?
    marko868, revtech and richardat like this.
    05-29-13 06:43 AM
    You still need to allow connection. Set up media streaming on PC. For wifi transfers from PC to BlackBerry, must be connected to pwr source. It works fine, just needs to be configured properly.

Posted via CB10
    KemKev likes this.
    05-29-13 06:45 AM
    Search "problematic apps on z10" in CrackBerry.. i can't backup with BlackBerry Link once and found out that it was because of an app. Everything worked fine after that.. the app was causing the problem for me. So now I always try to backup after I install a new app so it won't take me long to find out if an app causes problems..

I don't see how your problem justifies classifying the program like you did while others clearly don't have the same problem.. but to each his own opinion I guess..

Post on that thread if you do found a problematic app.. it might help others..

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-29-13 06:46 AM
    You still need to allow connection. Set up media streaming on PC. For wifi transfers from PC to BlackBerry, must be connected to pwr source. It works fine, just needs to be configured properly.

Posted via CB10
    Done all that
    It does not work still.
    I know it should. But it doesn't

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:46 AM
    Search "problematic apps on z10" in CrackBerry.. i can't backup with BlackBerry once and found out that it was because of an app. Everything worked fine after that.. the app was causing the problem for me. So now I always try to backup after I install a new app so it won't take me long to find out if an app causes problems..

I don't see how your problem justifies classifying the program like you did while others clearly don't have the same problem.. but to each his own opinion I guess..

Post on that thread if you do found a problematic app.. it might help others..

Posted via CB10
    Done that without any apps after link wiped my phone.
    Still hit and miss.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:47 AM
    I'm not the only one with these problems with Link. Have a look around the forums

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:48 AM
    I'm not the only one with these problems with Link. Have a look around the forums

Posted via CB10
    Yeah.. bad post by me.. i meant that it's not something everyone experiences like not being able to access and search imap folders.

That being said, i have no other suggestion that might help you with this problem other than to try backing up with another computer. Hope you find the problem and a solution soon.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    05-29-13 06:52 AM
    I gotta ask..... assuming you are on windows....

you ARE working from an account that is in the "Administrator's Group", correct?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with most of what you said regarding Link. Certainly NOT something I would be pushing as a "sales point" to be sure.

I must admit, at first, I thought it was a collection of wasted electrons. When they updated it, it elevated itself to "minimally functional" status. For me, it, generally, works (minus a few reboots here and there, freezing here and there, and other "misbehaviors")

We hear that two-way synch with outlook will be here "any day now". That's a big miss, for me.

It allowed me to successfully back up so I could install leaks, so I can't ***** ALL that much.

I agree, clunky as hell.
    05-29-13 06:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    Link works just fine for me. I would recommend you look at your router to see what ports are being blocked. I can access my shared PC files from anywhere.
    I show BlackBerry Link using ports 50875-50884. Make sure that's not blocked on your router or firewall.
    doug8256 likes this.
    05-29-13 06:55 AM
    I gotta ask..... assuming you are on windows....

you ARE working from an account that is in the "Administrator's Group", correct?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with most of what you said regarding Link. Certainly NOT something I would be pushing as a "sales point" to be sure.

I must admit, at first, I thought it was a collection of wasted electrons. When they updated it, it elevated itself to "minimally functional" status. For me, it, generally, works (minus a few reboots here and there, freezing here and there, and other "misbehaviors")

We hear that two-way synch with outlook will be here "any day now". That's a big miss, for me.

It allowed me to successfully back up so I could install leaks, so I can't ***** ALL that much.

I agree, clunky as hell.
    That's a fair question and I should have made it clear I'm an administrator account.
    I built the pc myself so I know in full administration as I know certain stores sells computers but keep themselves as admin

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 06:58 AM
    Link works just fine for me. I would recommend you look at your router to see what ports are being blocked. I can access my shared PC files from anywhere.
    I show BlackBerry Link using ports 50875-50884. Make sure that's not blocked on your router or firewall.
    No firewall but I will check the router as I have just got a new one. But the problem was still on my old router which I know wasn't being blocked.

The thing is I'm not exactly technically challenged, so I just think would the average person be willing to do all these work around, hence my thread title

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    05-29-13 07:01 AM
    That's a fair question and I should have made it clear I'm an administrator account.
    I assembeled the pc myself so I know in full administration as I know certain stores sells computers but keep themselves as admin

Posted via CB10
    Fixed.
    Even with Admin accounts some programs still need the "Run as Administrator" box checked in compatibility settings. I have not had to do this with Link. I have never had a problem with Link. The one time it didn't backup the Z10 I rebooted the phone and the backup zipped through. I also don't seem to have issues with restoring I've seen others complain about. A full restore takes me about 18 minutes and that's with 48 Apps and Games installed.
    05-29-13 07:05 AM
    No firewall but I will check the router as I have just got a new one. But the problem was still on my old router which I know wasn't being blocked.

The thing is I'm not exactly technically challenged, so I just think would the average person be willing to do all these work around, hence my thread title

Posted via CB10
    Most don't seem to be having these issues. Do you have Network Sharing enabled on the PC? What OS are you running?
    05-29-13 07:08 AM
    I knew the admin account question was a little out there, but, you know, have seen stranger things happen.

well, it's easy to rule out the router. Just open it wide up and see if it helps (you've probably done that several times). I assume it didn't help. As you "built your own", mind me asking what motherboard you have (asus...(?), intel...?). You're running that latest BIOS version for it?

I am running it on a home-brew 'pooter as well (Win7x64 Pro) with an Asus MB, and AMD quad-core 64 processors (8Gb of RAM). I have a WRT160N (Linksys) router. Like I said, Link works "sort of"/"minimally for me, but it has an attitude, to be sure. I am never confident it'll do it's thing when I ask it to. Hit or miss. Usually a reboot will knock the cob webs loose in it. It's the only software I experience that with.

My router never presented itself as a problem, that I know of. I even have a software firewall on that box behind the router, as well, and that has never seemed to be an issue. Like I said, from my perspective, all of the eccentricity seems to reside with the Link SW itself, like you observed.

Even RFA works ok for me, though, sometimes, it craps out, and that's seems fixable only via a reboot, after detection.

Man, wish I had some more wisdom for you. I agree, Link is definitely 2-3/10, right now. I hope they fix it, like you said.
    05-29-13 07:13 AM
    Fixed.
    Even with Admin accounts some programs still need the "Run as Administrator" box checked in compatibility settings. I have not had to do this with Link. I have never had a problem with Link. The one time it didn't backup the Z10 I rebooted the phone and the backup zipped through. I also don't seem to have issues with restoring I've seen others complain about. A full restore takes me about 18 minutes and that's with 48 Apps and Games installed.
    Tried it
    Still no joy
    But thanks for the suggestion

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 07:15 AM
    Most don't seem to be having these issues. Do you have Network Sharing enabled on the PC? What OS are you running?
    I do.
    Windows 7 64bit Home version

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 07:17 AM
    Honestly. Font even use link. There are more efficient ways to sync media and files.

#postedwithaz10
    kidmac13 likes this.
    05-29-13 07:17 AM
    Again, dumb grumpy question number THREE:

Winblows firewall is OFF right? You sure? did you check it AGAIN?

ask me why I ask so emphatically.... It seems to have an attitude too on occasion.
    05-29-13 07:19 AM
    I knew the admin account question was a little out there, but, you know, have seen stranger things happen.

well, it's easy to rule out the router. Just open it wide up and see if it helps (you've probably done that several times). I assume it didn't help. As you "built your own", mind me asking what motherboard you have (asus...(?), intel...?). You're running that latest BIOS version for it?

I am running it on a home-brew 'pooter as well (Win7x64 Pro) with an Asus MB, and AMD quad-core 64 processors (8Gb of RAM). I have a WRT160N (Linksys) router. Like I said, Link works "sort of"/"minimally for me, but it has an attitude, to be sure. I am never confident it'll do it's thing when I ask it to. Hit or miss. Usually a reboot will knock the cob webs loose in it. It's the only software I experience that with.

My router never presented itself as a problem, that I know of. I even have a software firewall on that box behind the router, as well, and that has never seemed to be an issue. Like I said, from my perspective, all of the eccentricity seems to reside with the Link SW itself, like you observed.

Even RFA works ok for me, though, sometimes, it craps out, and that's seems fixable only via a reboot, after detection.

Man, wish I had some more wisdom for you. I agree, Link is definitely 2-3/10, right now. I hope they fix it, like you said.
    I have an Asus mb.
    I didn't think of checking for a bios update so I will give that a go! Cheers.
    I will also give the router a few reboots again to see if that helps.
    Yeah it's just telling that Link is the only piece of software that I have trouble with

Posted via CB10
    trsbbs likes this.
    05-29-13 07:20 AM
    ITunes had been complete junk for like 10years. I take it as proof bad desktop software isn't the end all for a device.

Posted via CB10
    Has nothing to do with BlackBerry.

Tim

Posted using a Z10
    richardat likes this.
    05-29-13 07:23 AM
    Again, dumb grumpy question number THREE:

Winblows firewall is OFF right? You sure? did you check it AGAIN?

ask me why I ask so emphatically.... It seems to have an attitude too on occasion.
    Yeah it is off lol. I turned it off for some gaming and haven't turned it back on. Double checked just now and it is still off

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 07:24 AM
    Yes, I think you should elaborate more on what system are you running your LINK.
    As for me, it is just as easy as saying 1 2 3 to install. reboot. then everything works flawlessly.
    05-29-13 07:26 AM
    I do.
    Windows 7 64bit Home version

Posted via CB10
    Windows 7 Home is horrible for networking. Can you access the Home Network from any other computer? Can you access any network shares from any other computer?
    richardat likes this.
    05-29-13 07:43 AM
89 123 ...