Yesterday I left my phone behind at a music studio. I left, it wasn't until I was half way home I realised I'd left it behind. There's a lot of people who use the studio so I wanted to make sure it was there so I jump on blackberry protect to and tried to use the tracker to ensure it was still in the studio and keep my mind it ease.

I tried to locate my device.. failed
    I tried to lock my device... failed

Tried to send a message and some loud notifications sound and they also faild.

Now I'm getting really worried thinking somebody have taken it and removed the battery..

I managed to get hold of a phone and phoned my phone and it rang. Luckily my phone was where I left it and the studio engineer had it waiting for me.

My point is BlackBerry Protect was absolutely useless in this instance, there was still a data signal going to my phone and it failed me. Had it been really stolen and the battery was still in I'd have been screwed..

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 06:23 AM
    Did you check and make sure that the setting was turned on the phone in the settings menu?
    08-10-13 06:53 AM
    Yup it's all turned on. I tested it not so long ago, it's just in this case it failed to work..

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 06:55 AM
    My experience is that if your phone has defaulted to wifi (instead of network towers), Protect can't see it. So, if you were running off the studio wifi that may have been the reason.
    08-10-13 09:30 AM
    Here is what the Locate service help on BB Protect says:

"BlackBerry Protect uses GPS to try to locate your device, if your device is inside a building, it might not be able to be located."

That may explain why you could not locate it, if you are in the studio again, maybe check to see if you can get a gps signal.

There is a free app on BB World you can use:

BlackBerry World - Hello GPS
    08-10-13 09:59 AM
    Interesting. I just ran protect to locate my phone. It's a bit eerie to watch your GPS symbol come on by itself. It does not seem to work with data off; wifi? Today it did work on wifi, but yesterday, it didn't. So, I presume it needs some sort of data to get hold of your phone and activate GPS. I then shut off both data and wifi, and activated GPS with compass and no dice. Even with a clear shot of the sky, pulling in about 9 satellites (checked with Hello GPS), protect couldn't find my phone unless data was also on.
    08-10-13 11:10 AM
    What version of bb10 do you have on the 10.2.1047 if the phone is restarted or turned back on it turns off and you have toggle it back on manually. Not sure I'd some of the other builds have this problem.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 02:20 PM
    This is the protect disclaimer:

"BlackBerry Protect cannot locate devices that are turned off or disconnected from the wireless network."

Apparently, it needs a data connection.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 03:13 PM