So the weekend has gone by, people have been using the phones, and we know the US is simply not getting the phones till March. I'm not happy about it, I've complained about it, but it is what it is. Also pointing to whose fault it is, or petitions, isn't going to accomplish anything (and keep that GD iPetition spam out of this thread)! So now that we are seeing some posts from CrackBerry's team and UK users, it is clear that RIM still has some pretty big omissions in functionality and they should use this coming month plus to address them to try to make the most painful part of the US launch the wait. So let's suck it up, and post what you have heard about BB10 that is missing that you feel must be addressed before the first US Carrier launch. For me so far it is the following:

- Must fix bedside mode to allow phone calls like it works on BBOS7. Right now it appears that bedside mode kills all notifications. While you are at it RIM add in an option to allow users to make a list of people allowed to make the phone ring, or get other messages while in bedside mode. How they could even think about not having this work at least just like BBOS is crazy.

- Make switching from a BBOS to BB10 device more user friendly. I should be able to connect my Bold 9900 to BlackBerry Link software and have a switch device wizard that will migrate over my calendars, contacts, SMS, BBM, and phone logs in an easy step. Huge omission IMHO and see people trying to do workarounds on the forum. Just hooked 9900 up to link and saw transfer option. Some people here must have been trying to do it without software.

- Get the "coming soon" apps you mentioned at the launch delivered by March.

I'm sure their will be more as our friends to the North and across the pond get more drive time with the devices, but feel free to add what you want RIM to have ready for the US release to this thread. May make the wait a little more bearable knowing that others are finding the bugs for us, and hopefully that RIM has them addressed for our launch. Trying to be productive now and not negative!
    Last edited by lnichols; 02-04-13 at 08:40 PM. Reason: New info
    MasterOfBinary, rav813 and G-bone like this.
    02-04-13 01:52 PM
    Bedside mode is supposed to kill all notifications so it doesn't disturb you while you sleep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    02-04-13 02:17 PM
    Bedside mode is supposed to kill all notifications so it doesn't disturb you while you sleep.

He means kill all notifications EXCEPT phone calls from specific people. For example when traveling, you want to be able to sleep when you check into your hotel at 2 am, but if your wife/husband has an emergency at home, you want that call to ring.
    02-04-13 02:26 PM
    You know, I never noticed that option in bb7 XD. That's what I always loved about the old blackberry actually, there's always something you haven't found out yet. I withdraw my silly comment ;-)

G-bone and Toodeurep like this.
    02-04-13 02:31 PM
    So the weekend has gone by, people have been using the phones, and we know the US is simply not getting the phones till March. I'm not happy about it, I've complained about it, but it is what it is. Also pointing to whose fault it is, or petitions, isn't going to accomplish anything (and keep that GD iPetition spam out of this thread)! So now that we are seeing some posts from CrackBerry's team and UK users, it is clear that RIM still has some pretty big omissions in functionality and they should use this coming month plus to address them to try to make the most painful part of the US launch the wait. So let's suck it up, and post what you have heard about BB10 that is missing that you feel must be addressed before the first US Carrier launch. For me so far it is the following:

- Must fix bedside mode to allow phone calls like it works on BBOS7. Right now it appears that bedside mode kills all notifications. While you are at it RIM add in an option to allow users to make a list of people allowed to make the phone ring, or get other messages while in bedside mode. How they could even think about not having this work at least just like BBOS is crazy.

- Make switching from a BBOS to BB10 device more user friendly. I should be able to connect my Bold 9900 to BlackBerry Link software and have a switch device wizard that will migrate over my calendars, contacts, SMS, BBM, and phone logs in an easy step. Huge omission IMHO and see people trying to do workarounds on the forum.

- Get the "coming soon" apps you mentioned at the launch delivered by March.

I'm sure their will be more as our friends to the North and across the pond get more drive time with the devices, but feel free to add what you want RIM to have ready for the US release to this thread. May make the wait a little more bearable knowing that others are finding the bugs for us, and hopefully that RIM has them addressed for our launch. Trying to be productive now and not negative!
    Thanks for the topic. Personally I can say that:
    • if custom notifications/profiles aren't there at launch, I'm sticking with my 9810.
    • If BBM isn't accessible via bridge, I'm sticking with my 9810
    • If multiple email selection (for marking as read or deletion) isn't made easier, I'm sticking with my 9810
    • If BB Mobile Conferencing isn't available, I'm sticking with my 9810
    • If Skype and WhatsApp aren't released, I'm sticking with my 9810 (those are the potential reasons to upgrade - no real reason if not there).

I tend to watch video on my PlayBook (often connected by HDMI to a TV) and laptop not my phone (though I can on my 9810, I generally choose not to). I don't play games on either. By upgrading I'd lose a ton of existing apps without gaining many (if any). The spinning clock is driving my nuts on the 9810, but the "downgrade" of the current Z10 doesn't seem worth it to fix just that.
    Novaone, rav813 and Jermanicus like this.
    02-04-13 02:32 PM
    He means kill all notifications EXCEPT phone calls from specific people. For example when traveling, you want to be able to sleep when you check into your hotel at 2 am, but if your wife/husband has an emergency at home, you want that call to ring.
    Exactly. Or even just silence emails, but let calls and IM's through too. Etc. You know, like that "obsolete" BBOS system let us do

I wouldn't count on getting those beloved BBOS features back. They were intentionally left out for whatever reason, they aren't "bug fixes" to be addressed. I was surprised to see all that stuff missing on my PlayBook, but figured they would add it later. But now it's beginning to seem now like they don't intend to bring those things to QNX devices.
    Novaone likes this.
    02-04-13 02:35 PM

If my wife is at our beach house and thinks she's having a heart attack and calls (as happened recently), then screw bedside mode. I want the phone to ring.
    brianatbb and FrankIAm like this.
    02-04-13 02:36 PM
    You know, I never noticed that option in bb7 XD. That's what I always loved about the old blackberry actually, there's always something you haven't found out yet. I withdraw my silly comment ;-)

That's what's frustrating to a lot of "power" users now that BB10 is out. BB7 (and 5/6) has a lot of very useful features that other phones simply don't do - or don't do nearly as well. These are features that are used on a daily basis and make your life more efficient. It seems, so far at least, that BB10 has lost many -if not all- of these features and doesn't really do anything the competition doesn't do.
    sege7618 likes this.
    02-04-13 02:37 PM
    That's what's frustrating to a lot of "power" users now that BB10 is out. BB7 (and 5/6) has a lot of very useful features that other phones simply don't do - or don't do nearly as well. These are features that are used on a daily basis and make your life more efficient. It seems, so far at least, that BB10 has lost many -if not all- of these features and doesn't really do anything the competition doesn't do.
    Yes, a lot of the little things are missing that came of being an OS that was so mature. I'm hoping that it's mostly because they were concentrating on just getting bb10 out before the company went bust, with the intention of bringing back the old stuff over time that they left out because of time ticking.

Jermanicus likes this.
    02-04-13 03:01 PM
    If my wife is at our beach house and thinks she's having a heart attack and calls (as happened recently), then screw bedside mode. I want the phone to ring.
    Yeah I got that several comments ago. Comment was withdrawn.

02-04-13 03:02 PM
    Where is everyone getting that the phone is "delayed" in the US? Has the promised launch date come and gone?? I don't remember hearing of a promised date from BB or any carrier here in the US. Either way, the only thing I would love before the launch, would be the multiple e-mail selection.
    02-04-13 03:31 PM
    Those are all totally legitimate feature requests.

I would guess that BB is busy on all of them. At this point, even Apple's "Do Not Disturb" allows for exceptions.

One very important thing to look at when moving to ANY new device: what are you already doing with your current one, and will the new one support it? And if it doesn't yet, can you live without it for a while?

"Zero Day" devices aren't for everyone.
    Novaone and sok2507 like this.
    02-04-13 03:37 PM
    Multiple email selections and easy transfer catch my attention as limiting.
    02-04-13 03:40 PM
    "Make switching from a BBOS to BB10 device more user friendly. I should be able to connect my Bold 9900 to BlackBerry Link software and have a switch device wizard that will migrate over my calendars, contacts, SMS, BBM, and phone logs in an easy step. Huge omission IMHO and see people trying to do workarounds on the form."

Link does this perfectly... you just have to find where the correct button is to do it (bottom right)... took about 4 minutes in total with over 500 contacts!.... You can even keep both phones linked if you have two leads and two usb ports...Please don't criticise until you know what you are actually talking about!
    lnichols likes this.
    02-04-13 03:44 PM
    Where is everyone getting that the phone is "delayed" in the US? Has the promised launch date come and gone?? I don't remember hearing of a promised date from BB or any carrier here in the US. Either way, the only thing I would love before the launch, would be the multiple e-mail selection.
    Well originally the phones were supposed to come out in December, but that got delayed to Q1 3013. Now that can mean until March. T-Mobile is saying they will have theirs March 27th which is clearly very close to the end of Q1. Heins said that the BB10 phones will be released within 30 days...so roughly in March...but we Americans are still p.o 'd.

Oh and there is multiple email selection it's just not as simple as the old BBOS phone's were. There is a thread floating around in the Z10 Category with tons of questions to people in the UK who already have the phone and can comment on their feedback.
    02-04-13 03:44 PM
    Well originally the phones were supposed to come out in December, but that got delayed to Q1 3013. Now that can mean until March. T-Mobile is saying they will have theirs March 27th which is clearly very close to the end of Q1. Heins said that the BB10 phones will be released within 30 days...so roughly in March...but we Americans are still p.o 'd.

Oh and there is multiple email selection it's just not as simple as the old BBOS phone's were. There is a thread floating around in the Z10 Category with tons of questions to people in the UK who already have the phone and can comment on their feedback.
    There is multiple email selection...it just involves having to select the navigation bar, selecting 'select more' and then selecting each email individually. It's there as a feature, it's just much slower than it used to be on os 7.

02-04-13 03:50 PM
    "Make switching from a BBOS to BB10 device more user friendly. I should be able to connect my Bold 9900 to BlackBerry Link software and have a switch device wizard that will migrate over my calendars, contacts, SMS, BBM, and phone logs in an easy step. Huge omission IMHO and see people trying to do workarounds on the form."

Link does this perfectly... you just have to find where the correct button is to do it (bottom right)... took about 4 minutes in total with over 500 contacts!.... You can even keep both phones linked if you have two leads and two usb ports...Please don't criticise until you know what you are actually talking about!
    I've seen a few posts on CrackBerry complaining there was no easy way to transfer. My comments are based on what I read since I can't buy the device. I'll hook my 9900 up to my link software tonight with my Playbook and see what happens.
    02-04-13 03:53 PM
    There is multiple email selection...it just involves having to select the navigation bar, selecting 'select more' and then selecting each email individually. It's there as a feature, it's just much slower than it used to be on os 7.

Note I said if multiple email selection isn't "made easier"... I didn't say there isn't multiple email selection. On the 9810 you can touch the first message in a list you want selected and then touch the last and it selects all in between - all very easy. Even easier with the touchpad but I won't get into that. On BB10 you have to touch each individual message you want included in the multiple selection.
    02-04-13 04:03 PM
    What he said. You 455holes, just dont put the phone in bedside. Switch to calls only.
    Thanks for bringing what was a good conversation to the level of several others on the thread. Much appreciated.

As for your comment ... when I'm in a hotel in a different time zone, I don't want my phone to ring at 4 am for a non-critical call. I do want it to ring if there's an emergency at home. Even the iPhone finally picked up this feature in iOS6.
    02-04-13 04:07 PM

I wouldn't count on getting those beloved BBOS features back. They were intentionally left out for whatever reason, they aren't "bug fixes" to be addressed.
    What's the evidence for this?
    02-04-13 04:08 PM
    What's the evidence for this?
    I know not directed to me, but I haven't seen these BlackBerry-like features added to my PlayBooks after waiting almost two years. I'm not holding my breath on BB10. I hope to be pleasantly surprised for U.S. release.
    02-04-13 04:12 PM
    I am an american and am not pissed about the delay.. Im glad that we didnt get it first based on all the "issues" people are having..
    Maybe by the time ATT gets ir released some of these "issues" will be fixed.. I can wait for that.. I still have my 9800 that works..
    02-04-13 04:12 PM
    A lot of manufacturers are guilty of this. Have features that work great and remove or change them with equipment upgrade. ie, bedside mode, led notification to name a few. Makes no sense.
    02-04-13 04:14 PM
    I would expect that if the BBOS could do the function, with time, QNX should be able to as well. JS vs C++ is the only issue, and from what I have read, programing for BB10 is easier. Someone mentioned mature operating systems. It is just now that IOS has a bedside mode that approaches BBOS. I for one would love to have an area either in Crackberry, or elsewhere, where we can seriously and objectively pass on our bugs and wants for BB10.
    02-04-13 04:16 PM
    How about restoring the contacts, calendar, and tasks sync to BB link from stand alone Outlook. That would help out a ton of people
    purpledog10 likes this.
    02-04-13 04:28 PM
49 12