And it keeps the price similar to other global prices. Although, why not buy a Canadian one for 550usd and unlock it there?
    I guess warranty would be an issue though.
    02-25-13 03:37 AM
    What?!!! S3 is 27000? thats 500USD.

you've got to be kidding.
    02-25-13 03:40 AM
    S3 is around 32 AFAIK.

Unless Bb10 comes with hundred liters of petrol free, 43 k is a real bad joke. They expect us to pay ranbir kapoor too?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    usuraj, flyingsolid and Etios like this.
    02-25-13 03:42 AM
    That pricing allows for more flexibility in promotions ...
    Yes, it might as well. But to better understand what that price implies here in India, assume that they're offering the Z10 at $2000 in the U.S; is that reasonable? ( seriously asking ). That's what the price is equivalent to (not equal to, in terms of conversion rate) here in India.
    02-25-13 03:45 AM
    Blackberry does not control the prices of what re-sellers are asking. It is true the base cost for a Blackberry phone or tablet is a bit high. There is good reason. Their phones are not made in cheap labor cost countries, and they are not assembled with minimum quality components to get the product made. The R&D to develop the Blackberry was very intensive and mostly done in Canada. It is really a Canadian product that has been designed with very high security and reliability for its users.

As for myself, the company I work for, and my family all use Blackberry phones. Over the years we did have some that required service or exchange. This can happen with any electronic or mechanical product. Overall, the results and performance I have seen with the Blackberry over most of the other phones that are out there, I would not change for anything else unless I was forced to.
    CDM76 and joe.miller like this.
    02-25-13 03:47 AM
    Well, just picked up an S3 last night ( for a friend) at INR 27,000. That's discounted though. Without the discount, it's INR 29,500.
    02-25-13 03:47 AM
    43,490 is trending on twitter India. Serious bashing going on. Any publicity is good publicity?

flyingsolid likes this.
    02-25-13 03:49 AM
    Any publicity is not good publicity. This was a big mistake for pricing in India. Lets be frank, neither the SG3, Iphone 4, 4s, 5 or even the Nokia 920 make a big dent in the Indian market.
    The biggest seller for Blackberry till date by volume is the 8520....you heard me right.... the 8520... (wonder if some of you even remember that phone).
    43,500 is a ridiculous number. It is pricing itself out of the market.
    Windows 8 is going to make big strides in the Indian market because of the Lumia 620.... not the 920......
    Blackberry needs to launch lower costs phones for India, Indonesia, South Africa, etc....
    Etios, flyingsolid and cckgz4 like this.
    02-25-13 04:12 AM
    Yes, it might as well. But to better understand what that price implies here in India, assume that they're offering the Z10 at $2000 in the U.S; is that reasonable? ( seriously asking ). That's what the price is equivalent to (not equal to, in terms of conversion rate) here in India.
    Ok thats a little crazy I will admit !
    I did take the time to search google and foudn that the iphone is going for approximately 44000. Does that sound right ? Not saying this makes it any better, but its a comparator.
    pranavvk likes this.
    02-25-13 04:19 AM
    Yea and iphone5 doesn't nearly sell as much as s3 or note 2. Good this thing didn't release before valentine's day

02-25-13 04:28 AM
    This..exactly...
    and $2000 upfront. Not broken up over 2 years....
    02-25-13 04:32 AM
    No, not just lower cost phones. There are a LOT of takers for high-end phones too. But they needed to be logical and sensible (if reasonable isn't possible) with the product and it's pricing. In fact, Z10 with 50,000 pre-launch bookings in India might as well sell more than in any other countries it's been launched in till date, but that price is surely gonna bring down number of people who'd have bought it had it been priced logically. Even with all that great usability it offers - in India, Z10 is still over-priced by a huge margin of 6000-8000 INR. May be as someone said before, it's reflective of demand, which is good anyway. Gonna continue with my 9900 which works great anyway.
    02-25-13 04:32 AM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Blackberry stated they will launch 6 OS10 phones this year... I am guessing a mid-ttier priced bb Z10 one will be most popular in India .... IMO
    Flexin, convenor and trynacu2 like this.
    02-25-13 04:40 AM
    Blackberry stated they will launch 6 OS10 phones this year... I am guessing a mid-ttier priced bb Z10 one will be most popular in India .... IMO
    The problem is this.. what is mid-tier for europe is the upper tier for India.
    The upper -tier in europe and america is the premium tier in india.

What blackberry needs to do is launch a phone in the Rs. 14000-Rs. 16000 range within 3-4 months.
    02-25-13 04:45 AM
    I believe they said 6 DEVICES. This *could* be black Z10, white Z10, black Q10, white Q10 + 2 other yet unannounced devices (maybe black/white playbook 2 ?). Just food for thought.

I think the logical thing to do in India is keep the Z10 price as it is, and push the 9900 sales harder. Is a great phone and a great stepping stone. Just an idea.
    02-25-13 04:46 AM
    The price is currently so high because BB can only 6 Z10 supply to India
    02-25-13 04:48 AM
    Blackberry does not control the prices of what re-sellers are asking. It is true the base cost for a Blackberry phone or tablet is a bit high. There is good reason. Their phones are not made in cheap labor cost countries, and they are not assembled with minimum quality components to get the product made. The R&D to develop the Blackberry was very intensive and mostly done in Canada. It is really a Canadian product that has been designed with very high security and reliability for its users.

As for myself, the company I work for, and my family all use Blackberry phones. Over the years we did have some that required service or exchange. This can happen with any electronic or mechanical product. Overall, the results and performance I have seen with the Blackberry over most of the other phones that are out there, I would not change for anything else unless I was forced to.
    Absolutely. And that's why people (like me) go out and buy 9900 when you have cell phones that offer better configs. (on paper) at same or lower prices. I'll admit I have no idea how pricing filters down from BB to resellers, but doesn't an 'exclusive' BlackBerry Showroom that sells these phones mean that it is quoting the price that BlackBerry, the company, has decided?

P.S - I am no expert in understanding how the pricing filters down from BB to re-sellers, but I'd guess a BlackBerry exclusive outlet is in direct correspondence with the company's policies.
    02-25-13 04:50 AM
    UAE stores sell it for a little over $700, I guess that's for us based here, and software engineers definitely make more than the Z10's retail price, so that is another bonus. I'm not an engineer though.

Do you have family in Dubai? Maybe you could have someone buy one for you and send it back to India. Wouldn't recommend it though as a number of users have had problems with faulty Wifi antennae. Taking it back to the store for replacement or repair would be a huge issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-13 05:01 AM
    The Z10 pricing is just as ludicrous in South Africa. Cash or contract it costs more than an iPhone 5 for the 3G only model.Heaven only knows how much more the LTE version costs...

I think the carriers are pricing it quite high due to Blackberry popularity. I think it will end up hurting BlackBerry in the long run.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    02-25-13 05:02 AM
    Is it me or I see a lot of people from India use the term "Let's be Frank Here" I don't wanna be Frank. I like who I am.

On a serious note I believe it's resellers pricing. They have to make a profit somehow.

Posted via a microwave.
    02-25-13 05:04 AM
    I believe they said 6 DEVICES. This *could* be black Z10, white Z10, black Q10, white Q10 + 2 other yet unannounced devices (maybe black/white playbook 2 ?). Just food for thought.

I think the logical thing to do in India is keep the Z10 price as it is, and push the 9900 sales harder. Is a great phone and a great stepping stone. Just an idea.
    Actually, it did not even need to be mid-tier. High-end phones sell too. There's a huge, and I mean huge, number of people who're buying the SG Note, Note 2, or S3. All they needed to do was place it among these big player, and price it equal to, or even higher than, 'em, but had to be under 40K for sure.
    You don't need to be in the mid-tier range to sell 'em here, you just had to be in sync with what you're offering and what's available in the market in that range. I see no reason why people from other platforms - who have no idea what how BB10 betters their existing platform - will go out and pay around 7000 INR more when they can get a Note 2 or an S3 that perform equally good or even better ( in case of Note 2).
    02-25-13 05:08 AM
    Although what baffles me is when people complain about something being too expensive when they're not even being forced to buy it. Obviously customers inevitably control the market, prices should level when BB learns that they have put the Z10 at a ridiculous price point, but I would think they would want to see sales figures to back that claim up before adjusting the retail price.

Posted via CB10
    convenor likes this.
    02-25-13 05:10 AM
    Lol if I can't afford to buy a lambo or a range Rover I don't go to their forums and cry that. Why is it so expensive. They should make 1 with Honda civic prices. Or tata price.

Posted via a microwave.
    trynacu2 likes this.
    02-25-13 05:15 AM
    Although what baffles me is when people complain about something being too expensive when they're not even being forced to buy it. Obviously customers inevitably control the market, prices should level when BB learns that they have put the Z10 at a ridiculous price point, but I would think they would want to see sales figures to back that claim up before adjusting the retail price.

Posted via CB10
    I dont think they should have waited to see the sales figures. Blackberry has done their study much before BB10 launch and knows that India, Indonesia and South Africa was a big support to their Quarterly earnings with the Curves while the rest of the world moved on to Andriod or iOS we stuck to BB looking for hope. So BB does know it very well that we are one of the potential markets for their sales to go up. So what we expected was just a better pricing. Is that to much to expect.
    02-25-13 05:16 AM
    Lol if I can't afford to buy a lambo or a range Rover I don't go to their forums and cry that. Why is it so expensive. They should make 1 with Honda civic prices. Or tata price.

Posted via a microwave.
    That shows how ashamed you are that you have changed your brand name to Microwave. Brave very Brave indeed.
    02-25-13 05:18 AM
243 1234 ...