Should I try disabling AVG? Is that safe for a few days?
    I initially suspected Norton to be the bad boy here. So I tried with both Windows defender alone, then G-Data.
    I've not noticed any improvements nor worse behavior (regarding our problem).
    For that reason I excluded "protections" from my solution quest.
    P.S: doesn't mean it fits all cases/users/platforms.
    AND, IMHO, you shouldn't disable AV, even for a short time. Download another one, unplug from the net, make your changes (uninstall/install) then and only then go back online for definitions updates.
    05-20-13 05:56 AM
    I have a brand new laptop with us 3.0 and have the same problems . All driver's are the latest version etc. Can't isolate the cause yet but I suspect it is a link issue with widows 8 64 bit. There is supposed to be a new version of link out in the next week or two with full outlook sync, so hoping this new version will fix the problem

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 06:42 AM
    Okay it's definitely not AVG causing it, I un installed it and installed a different anti virus and it crashed after 40 minutes of having my z10 plugged in

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 03:32 AM
    My computer has been doing this too lately running win 8. I'm glad you posted this. Help us

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 04:15 AM
    I plugged and old usb2 hub into my usb3 port and all my phone troubles disappeared and link hasn't misbehaved since. There must be something with usb3.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-24-13 04:18 AM
    I plugged and old usb2 hub into my usb3 port and all my phone troubles disappeared and link hasn't misbehaved since. There must be something with usb3.

Posted via CB10
    Is there a way I can identify which ports on my dell laptop with windows 8 is usb2? Assuming I have any.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 04:57 AM
    Is there a way I can identify which ports on my dell laptop with windows 8 is usb2? Assuming I have any.
    If they're following the standard, the physical USB port itself has a blue stripe in it that is not normally there on USB 2.0.

In device manager, under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", something listed as an "XHCI Controller" would be USB 3.0. Something listed as either "EHCI controller", or "Enhanced USB [Host] controller" or "USB2 Enhanced Host controller" would be USB 2.0.

That is just what is available on the board or expansion card. There is no guarantee that all of those controllers are actually physically connected to external USB ports.

(Edit: It would be easy enough to ascertain what the port functionality is on your Dell laptop. Just use the model number and look up the specifications on Dell's website, or better yet, use the special Dell Service Tag number, which should eliminate any guesswork.)
    hamzasalam and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-24-13 04:30 PM
    If they're following the standard, the physical USB port itself has a blue stripe in it that is not normally there on USB 2.0.

In device manager, under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", something listed as an "XHCI Controller" would be USB 3.0. Something listed as either "EHCI controller", or "Enhanced USB [Host] controller" or "USB2 Enhanced Host controller" would be USB 2.0.

That is just what is available on the board or expansion card. There is no guarantee that all of those controllers are actually physically connected to external USB ports.

(Edit: It would be easy enough to ascertain what the port functionality is on your Dell laptop. Just use the model number and look up the specifications on Dell's website, or better yet, use the special Dell Service Tag number, which should eliminate any guesswork.)
    Thanks

All 4 ports are usb 3.0 ports so no chance of using a 2.0 port.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 08:59 PM
    Just go buy a usb2 hub and plug it in. That's all I did.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 04:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Awesome idea, will purchase one this week

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Would something like this do the job?

http://www.meritline.com/newsearch.a...rm=4+port+slim

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:53 AM

So you had trouble with Blackberry Link not working until you put a USB2 hub in between your PC's USB3 port and the phone?

Interesting. Shouldn't make any difference since the phone is only USB2 anyway, but I guess if it works, it works.
    05-26-13 09:54 AM
    Sounds like the newer USB 3 is not real backwards compatible with USB 2. Shame if it isn't esp with MS since they have usually kept backwards compatibility.
    05-26-13 09:57 AM
    Sounds like the newer USB 3 is not real backwards compatible with USB 2. Shame if it isn't esp with MS since they have usually kept backwards compatibility.

It's perfectly backward-compatible, but there are still things that software developers have to do to take into account the possibility that their software might be used with hardware they have never tested it with. A lot of software bugs happen because the developers are too lazy or ignorant to do certain things properly, so they will oftentimes makes assumptions about hardware that they should not be making.

I've seen software that gets so confused by the fact that a particular Windows PC doesn't boot from the "C:" drive, that they refused to install, or worse, messed-up the computer because they couldn't figure out what to do.

Another example: the recently feted "Animoog" software for Blackberry 10, as it turns out, wiped out people's documents when it ran roughshod all over the filesystem saving its files somewhere it shouldn't have and ERASING what was already there. (They had to issue an emergency patch to fix that after a huge outcry, but that patch is not bringing anyone's data back.)

Stupid app developers. They are everywhere.
    05-26-13 11:49 AM
    So my next questions would revolve around your PC environment.

First of all, do you get the same "DPC_WATCHDOG" error that the original poster described?

What kind of 3rd-party security and/or personal firewall apps do you run? Have you tried disabling them temporarily?

Have you tried running Link in Windows Safe Mode?

Anything about the PC that is unusual from a networking standpoint? VPN installed? Multiple active network interfaces? Pcap network capture drivers? Virtual machine hypervisors like VMware or Virtual Box with their virtual network adapters?
    Yes, same error.

Windows 8 64bit/ USB3.0

Norton 360 Latest Version

I do restore my windows 8 but still got BOD. I think BlackBerry Link have something crash with norton.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 12:05 PM
    What if you disconnect your pc from the internet and then disable norton and try? That way you when you disable norton your not connected to the net so no bugs can jump in.
    05-26-13 12:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    I love when soluces/workarounds are simple !

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 04:36 PM
    I love when soluces/workarounds are simple !

We shall see. I'm skeptical about that sort of "fix" but I'm still curious what happens when it is tried.

I would be more inclined to be hopeful if he has an expansion slot on the laptop, installing a USB 2.0 expansion card (because then the OS is treating that port completely differently than a USB 3.0 port with a USB 2.0 device or hub plugged into it), but it will be interesting to see in any case.

Here is a recently updated Blackberry knowledgebase article that may be helpful in terms of install/uninstall tips:

KB02206-How to perform a clean uninstall of the BlackBerry Desktop Software or BlackBerry Link
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-26-13 07:37 PM
    Yes, same error.

Windows 8 64bit/ USB3.0

Norton 360 Latest Version

I do restore my windows 8 but still got BOD. I think BlackBerry Link have something crash with norton

That would not surprise me. And I'm noticing that you also have USB 3.0 USB ports, which is either starting to look like a trend in terms of issues with Link, or just because more and more computers come with USB 3.0 ports these days.
    05-26-13 07:39 PM
    Bad pc then as bblink has no issues on millions of computers.

Probably a driver issue or MS update is needed.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 08:04 PM
    More on the DPC_WATCHDOG issue, which seems to generally revolve around hardware/driver issues:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...airing-794934/

Windows 8 - DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD Help! - Neowin Forums

DPC Watchdog Violation - Microsoft Community

The forum linked below has participants that are able to do detailed review of crashdump files, you might consider joining and then sending them a crash log so they can identify the issue. Here's one thread where they did this for someone else getting DPC_WATCHDOG errors which in this case pointed at their network driver:

BSOD error : DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. Please help!

If you're feeling bold, you can try debugging the driver yourself using the "driver verifier" which is normally used by software developers. Make sure you have a good backup.

Driver Verifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Driver Verifier (Windows Drivers)
    Driver Verifier - Windows 8, Windows 7 & Vista (BSOD-related) - Tech Support Forum
    Verifying Drivers: Enable or disable the Driver verifier in Windows 8
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-26-13 08:29 PM
    I know this thread is a few months old. I have the same issue as OP. Same hardware set up (W8 64bit). I uninstalled all previous USB drivers from my previous phones. Rebooted and BBLink has been solid since then.
    Omnitech likes this.
    07-14-13 10:35 AM
    i keep getting the same thing i get a bsod with dpc_watchdog_violation. faulting app is listed as blackberry link. veiwing the dmp file left from the bsod the last couple of inputs all related to rim and usb. i posted on microsoft tech net but nobody knows lol.
    im running windows 8 x64 on an hp pavilion 15eo0onr
    cal
    09-10-13 08:16 PM
    i keep getting the same thing i get a bsod with dpc_watchdog_violation. faulting app is listed as blackberry link. veiwing the dmp file left from the bsod the last couple of inputs all related to rim and usb. i posted on microsoft tech net but nobody knows lol.
    im running windows 8 x64 on an hp pavilion 15eo0onr
    cal

KB34554-"DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION" error is received when connecting the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone to a Windows 8 PC

Also, please read my previous post in this thread, post #46 from 2013-05-26.
    09-11-13 05:45 PM
49 12