| | 02-20-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Author #1
Blackberry Link Fix With Windows 8
So I figured since I fixed the problem I was having with getting BlackBerry Link to work on Windows 8, I'd let everyone else know what I did and what problems I was having before.
I'm running Windows 8 32-bit on an Asus Motherboard with 32GB of ram. When I first built my computer I installed Window 8 32-bit which only allowed Windows to use about 4GB of the total ram I had on my motherboard. I didn't realize I should have installed 64-bit initially. My mistake.
After I installed BlackBerry Link the first time, the install procedure finished, Link started up, but for some reason I could not get my Z10 to be recognized in the program itself, my computer would only recognize it though a removable drive. I even tried logging into my BlackBerry ID on Link itself and once I put in my email/password and clicked the 'sign-in' button, nothing would happen. Not even a loading bar or anything. Just seemed dead. Anyways, that same day I installed some Windows 8 updates and then the computer restarted. From there, all **** broke loose. I couldn't uninstall BlackBerry Link (was getting error 1723) and even repair BlackBerry Link (was getting error 2738). I tried deleting the folders and anything else I could think of from the registry to try and wipe the program from my computer. Nothing! Even after I downloaded the new updated Link software from the BlackBerry website, it still wouldn't install.
This is where I was getting pissed off! It wasn't the BlackBerry software, but Windows itself! So, I took my Windows 8 disk and stuck it the install for 64-bit. Wiped all my hard drives (1TB Barracuda, and 120GB SSD). Since all drives are now clean and nothing was on them, I installed Windows 8 on the SSD, and created a partition on the 1TB Barracuda. All in all, with the SSD running the operating system, from the time I stuck in the disk, until Windows 8 loaded and started downloading the updates, probably took me about 30-45min. I keep all my music/videos/programs etc on two 3TB external drives, so everything was already backed up.
Windows 8 64-bit loaded up, I installed BlackBerry Link, and everything works perfect! It recognizes my Z10 and syncs my music. Sucks that I had to go through all of that just to fix it, but it was worth it. It may not be the easiest fix, especially for some people that aren't knowledgeable with computers, but it's a fix nonetheless.
I figured I'd pass it on and let people know what I did to fix the problem. I was reading the forums/help posts and people were actually returning their Z10's because of the reason they couldn't get BlackBerry Link to work. Made me sad inside to say the least. I love my Z10, and I'd hate to see people returning it.