Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 134
Like Tree29Likes
  1. M.Rizk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    794 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A8F06E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Exclamation BlackBerry is killing the Middle East....

    BlackBerry is killing the Middle East....

    Yes, It is killing the Middle East. Here in the Middle East there are real BlackBerry fans, who love their BlackBerry devices for so many reasons. Even when some of them couldn't find the apps they needed when they got another smartphones they kept their BlackBerry devices too because we all know how important the BlackBerry Messenger is and all other services provided by the BlackBerry devices.

    Point 1:
    Now Research in Motion (Yes I said it!) is killing the BlackBerry devices in the Middle East by releasing the BlackBerry 10 devices in their current form. Many of us in the Middle East despite the limitation of the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) we still love it and we all want to keep using it till forever. Because BIS and it's compression makes carriers over the Middle East offer Unlimited (uncapped) plans which are only exclusive to the BlackBerry devices and much cheaper than normal Internet plans. At least what I am saying is true in the Middle East and Africa specially in Egypt and South Africa.

    An Unlimited BIS Plan is offered for 15 USD. While the max you can get of a normal Mobile Internet plan is 12GB and is offered for 38 USD. Ok 38 USD for a 12 GB plan could be so cheap for those living in the US. But 38 USD means a lot in Egypt. Some people earn less than this in Egypt per month that's why we are one of the Third World Countries yet we are BlackBerry fans will millions of BlackBerry devices sold in Egypt. Now by the release of the BlackBerry 10 devices Research in Motion is killing the Social BIS Plans which were offered at about 7 USD. Considering someone with a Social Plan will now switch to at least a 1 GB Plan to continue using BBM it will cost him up to 25 USD which is considered expensive, at least much more than what he used to pay (7 USD).

    Point 2:
    The BlackBerry 10 devices released in the Middle East will have no 4G LTE supported. Well no Research in Motion is acting cheap offering us devices that are not capable of 4G LTE at an expensive price of 720 USD. Research in Motion sees that there is no hope in the Middle East maybe since they have the Third World Countries? Did Research in Motion forget how much BlackBerry fans are there in the Middle East? Did they forget where the BlackBerry Porsche sold well? about 23% to 30% of the BlackBerry Porsche sold were in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, about 24 to 30% in Qatar and about 32% to 40% in the UAE. Overall Research in Motion sold over 60% of their BlackBerry Porsche in the Middle East countries ALONE!

    Many of you might think that in the Middle East 4G LTE is not even available and there is no reason Research in Motion should support it. Well My answer is No. It should support the 4G LTE even if it was not available in the Middle East because we don't get the devices for cheaper or anything. Etisalat UAE already launched their 4G LTE network. Mobily KSA already launched their 4G LTE network. Qatar Qtel is in their final Closed-Beta 4G LTE testing and it will be available within a month. Vodafone Qatar are working to offer 4G LTE by the end of the first quarter of 2013. Yet Research in Motion decided not to support the 4G LTE in the Middle East, while other devices produced by Samsung do.

    Now Research in Motion, People who currently have a BlackBerry with the BIS. Did you ask yourself why they will upgrade to BlackBerry 10? Do you think just by having BBM this is really enough to move to BlackBerry 10? I don't think so. Don't forget they will be losing their Unlimited BlackBerry Internet Plans. Also 4G LTE will not work on their new BlackBerry 10 devices. While your competitors devices will work well!

    Thanks Research in Motion for caring about us in the Middle East. Thanks a lot!
    Thanked by 9:
    AbsoluteT23 (02-07-2013),  BullGuard8 (02-09-2013),  harshalbid271 (02-07-2013),  kelexiong (02-07-2013),  MERCDROID (02-07-2013),  sheeraz_aa (02-16-2013),  smartbuddy (02-08-2013),  zma15 (02-08-2013) 
  2. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,523 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,773 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Now by the release of the BlackBerry 10 devices Research in Motion is killing the Social BIS Plans which were offered at about 7 USD. Considering someone with a Social Plan will now switch to at least a 1 GB Plan to continue using BBM it will cost him up to 25 USD which is considered expensive, at least much more than what he used to pay (7 USD).
    I don't understand how BlackBerry is killing the Social BIS plans. That's money in their pockets every month, and no one expects all legacy device owners to upgrade to BB10 devices (at least not immediately.) So if you mean to say that the plans are being eliminated in anticipation/upon arrival of BB10, it's your carrier to blame here?

    And let's be real: a Z10 on launch would be much more expensive than a legacy device. So are you telling me that someone who buys a Z10 in Egypt during launch week couldn't afford the equivalent of a 18 USD jump in a data plan?

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    The BlackBerry 10 devices released in the Middle East will have no 4G LTE supported.
    What band do the Egyptian/Middle Eastern carriers use for LTE?
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport, Classic
  3. M.Rizk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    794 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A8F06E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    I don't understand how BlackBerry is killing the Social BIS plans. That's money in their pockets every month, and no one expects all legacy device owners to upgrade to BB10 devices (at least not immediately.) So if you mean to say that the plans are being eliminated in anticipation/upon arrival of BB10, it's your carrier to blame here?

    And let's be real: a Z10 on launch would be much more expensive than a legacy device. So are you telling me that someone who buys a Z10 in Egypt during launch week couldn't afford the equivalent of a 18 USD jump in a data plan?



    What band do the Egyptian/Middle Eastern carriers use for LTE?
    Regarding the Plans. No my carrier will not remove them. Just for those who upgrade to BlackBerry 10 won't be able to use them.
    Regarding the BlackBerry 10 Prices. In Egypt we can pay an expensive device just if it will not cost us much over time. But if both expensive and going to cost more that's the problem. That's why Apple devices is not selling well in Egypt.

    Today MTN South Africa decided to drop their Unlimited (uncapped) BIS plans and offer a new plan for the same price but offering only 200 MB to support the current BlackBerry devices and the BlackBerry 10 devices (Yes the new plans have WAP usage so the BB10 devices will work just like on Bell Canada).

    Regarding the LTE Frequency. As far as I know the frequency for 4G LTE that will be used among the Middle East is 1800-2600 MHZ but we will be getting the Z10STL100-1 model which has:
    21Mbps HSPA+
    Quad-band HSPA+ 1,2,5/6,8 (850/900/1900/2100 MHz)
    Quad band EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
  4. 2ys4u's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    114 Posts
    PIN
    just ask :)
    #4  

    Default

    I thought there would still be BIS in some countries. I'm sure their planning on releasing affordable phones there also...6 phones to be released later. I'm sure they'll surprise ^
  5. M.Rizk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    794 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A8F06E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ys4u View Post
    I thought there would still be BIS in some countries. I'm sure their planning on releasing affordable phones there also...6 phones to be released later. I'm sure they'll surprise ^
    Even if BIS remain in these countries, BlackBerry 10 won't support it.
  6. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,523 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,773 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Regarding the Plans. No my carrier will not remove them. Just for those who upgrade to BlackBerry 10 won't be able to use them.
    Regarding the BlackBerry 10 Prices. In Egypt we can pay an expensive device just if it will not cost us much over time. But if both expensive and going to cost more that's the problem. That's why Apple devices is not selling well in Egypt.
    I understand it better now, but until lower end BB10 devices are released, I guess those who cannot afford both the higher upfront cost for the phone and the data plan that comes along should not upgrade. That's the way it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Today MTN South Africa decided to drop their Unlimited (uncapped) BIS plans and offer a new plan for the same price but offering only 200 MB to support the current BlackBerry devices and the BlackBerry 10 devices (Yes the new plans have WAP usage so the BB10 devices will work just like on Bell Canada).
    So they're using the Z10 launch as an excuse to drop a service? That's capitalism for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Regarding the LTE Frequency. As far as I know the frequency for 4G LTE that will be used among the Middle East is 1800-2600 MHZ but we will be getting the Z10STL100-1 model which has:
    21Mbps HSPA+
    Quad-band HSPA+ 1,2,5/6,8 (850/900/1900/2100 MHz)
    Quad band EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    The STL100-2 has LTE bands 1800 and 2600, so are you sure you guys are getting the HSPA+ only version?
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport, Classic
  7. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,523 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,773 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Regarding the Plans. No my carrier will not remove them. Just for those who upgrade to BlackBerry 10 won't be able to use them.
    Regarding the BlackBerry 10 Prices. In Egypt we can pay an expensive device just if it will not cost us much over time. But if both expensive and going to cost more that's the problem. That's why Apple devices is not selling well in Egypt.
    I understand it better now, but until lower end BB10 devices are released, I guess those who cannot afford both the higher upfront cost for the phone and the data plan that comes along should not upgrade. That's the way it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Today MTN South Africa decided to drop their Unlimited (uncapped) BIS plans and offer a new plan for the same price but offering only 200 MB to support the current BlackBerry devices and the BlackBerry 10 devices (Yes the new plans have WAP usage so the BB10 devices will work just like on Bell Canada).
    So they're using the Z10 launch as an excuse to drop a service? That's capitalism for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by M.Rizk View Post
    Regarding the LTE Frequency. As far as I know the frequency for 4G LTE that will be used among the Middle East is 1800-2600 MHZ but we will be getting the Z10STL100-1 model which has:
    21Mbps HSPA+
    Quad-band HSPA+ 1,2,5/6,8 (850/900/1900/2100 MHz)
    Quad band EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    The STL100-2 has LTE bands 1800 and 2600, so are you sure you guys are getting the HSPA+ only version? How well deployed are the LTE networks, and do you guys buy phones from carriers (like most do in North America), or through first party (RIM directly) or second party distributors?
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport, Classic
  8. M.Rizk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    794 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A8F06E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default BlackBerry is killing the Middle East....

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    I understand it better now, but until lower end BB10 devices are released, I guess those who cannot afford both the higher upfront cost for the phone and the data plan that comes along should not upgrade. That's the way it is.



    So they're using the Z10 launch as an excuse to drop a service? That's capitalism for you.



    The STL100-2 has LTE bands 1800 and 2600, so are you sure you guys are getting the HSPA+ only version?
    I don't live in South Africa. Was just using it as an example.

    Regarding the Model. According to BlackBerryOS and someone here on CB the Middle East will be getting the model I listed above. I might go out today, check the ones sold and get back to you.
  9. dj_matty_s's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    805 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Sounds like the problems you're having are more with the carriers then Blackberry...

    Carriers determine their data pricing and structure, Blackberry has nothing to do with it. BB also doesn't necessarily want to offer different device versions (some with LTE, some without), but they have no choice, it's the carriers that make these specific requests.
    Thanked by:
    M.Rizk (02-07-2013) 
  10. axiombh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    323 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    No idea from where you came up with these. Info but all of it base less, the units do support LTE, the BIS will still work.

    Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Thanked by:
    not biased (02-08-2013) 
  11. M.Rizk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    794 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A8F06E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

    Default BlackBerry is killing the Middle East....

    Quote Originally Posted by axiombh View Post
    No idea from where you came up with these. Info but all of it base less, the units do support LTE, the BIS will still work.

    Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    I wish they support LTE and if they do I will throw a party for it. I love BlackBerry 10. But regarding BIS no they don't support BIS.
    convenor likes this.
  12. a1s2d3f4g5's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    123 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    I agree with you that it sucks no BIS will be offered. However remember that they are still going to sell the BB7 phones on BIS so really you are not losing anything that you already had it's just the new ones won't be supported. Additionally at one point Thorsten mentioned releasing a BB8.0 in the developing markets which would still be on BIS. So that could be an option in the future.
  13. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,523 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,773 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axiombh View Post
    No idea from where you came up with these. Info but all of it base less, the units do support LTE, the BIS will still work.
    BIS plans will work in the sense that if you have one currently, you will still be able to use it with a BB10 device (i.e. you won't have to switch to a generic data plan.) What won't work are Social plans, which are usually limited to just BBM and RIM's messaging apps. You will also lose the compression benefit BIS provides on legacy OS devices.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport, Classic
  14. axiombh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    323 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    LTE is supported in the phones but the network providers should have so you can use it.

    Regarding BES plans our network providor is offering that and your company need to upgrade their servers to be compatible with BB10. And you will be good to go.

    Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Thanked by:
    BullGuard8 (02-09-2013) 
  15. M.Rizk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    794 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A8F06E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

    Default BlackBerry is killing the Middle East....

    Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    BIS plans will work in the sense that if you have one currently, you will still be able to use it with a BB10 device (i.e. you won't have to switch to a generic data plan.) What won't work are Social plans, which are usually limited to just BBM and RIM's messaging apps. You will also lose the compression benefit BIS provides on legacy OS devices.
    BIS plans even current ones will not work on BB10 at all. Only if the BIS plan offers WAP/Streaming BB10 will work and will show up as WAP usage not BlackBerry usage.

    Since most of the Middle East carriers offer BIS with no streaming BB10 will need generic data plans.
  16. M.Rizk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    794 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A8F06E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

    Default BlackBerry is killing the Middle East....

    Quote Originally Posted by axiombh View Post
    LTE is supported in the phones but the network providers should have so you can use it.

    Regarding BES plans our network providor is offering that and your company need to upgrade their servers to be compatible with BB10. And you will be good to go.

    Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Do you have a proof that even the Model I listed above is LTE enabled?

    Even BES will not work that was confirmed at the South Africa launch event. BES 10 requires a generic data plan or WiFi.
  17. harshalbid271's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    I might sell the Limited Edition Z10 i'm supposed to get and continue using my 9810 because of no BIS support. There's no way I can pay for a regular data plan considering the amount of data I consume on my unlimited BIS connection right now.
  18. axiombh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    323 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Hi Raino, I used to have S3 before taking BB10 on 3rd FEB. Yes before Canada and in the middle east it was Bahrain the second country that we got a BB10 sold in it, anyway

    I did not change anything on my data normal data plan when switching from S3 to BB10 and everything work like a charm, I had BBM mails etc workin, today only I have contacted my network providor and asked to change my data plan which they did and I did not found any diffrence as everything was working with me fine even without the BIS



    Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
  19. flyingsolid's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    898 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a1s2d3f4g5 View Post
    I agree with you that it sucks no BIS will be offered. However remember that they are still going to sell the BB7 phones on BIS so really you are not losing anything that you already had it's just the new ones won't be supported. Additionally at one point Thorsten mentioned releasing a BB8.0 in the developing markets which would still be on BIS. So that could be an option in the future.
    When did Thorsten say he was considering an 8.0 release? Link please. If that is the case I am one happy camper.

    To the OP, I guess that is the way the cookie crumbles.
  20. M.Rizk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    794 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A8F06E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrskycar View Post
    When did Thorsten say he was considering a 8.0 release? Link please. If that is the case I am one happy camper.

    To the OP, I guess that is the way the cookie crumbles.
    There was a rumor a BB8 device might get released. Thorsten never mentioned anything about it I don't even think this rumor will come true except if the Business users didn't like BB10 which won't ever happen.
  21. M.Rizk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    794 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A8F06E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harshalbid271 View Post
    I might sell the Limited Edition Z10 i'm supposed to get and continue using my 9810 because of no BIS support. There's no way I can pay for a regular data plan considering the amount of data I consume on my unlimited BIS connection right now.
    Why sell it? Just keep it and use it. At least on WiFi. Anyway Where are you from?
  22. narci's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,342 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Hasn't BB said the old BBOS will still sell alongside the new BB10?
    Thanked by:
    southlander (02-09-2013) 
    Eskibo likes this.
  23. M.Rizk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    794 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,153 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A8F06E
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

    Default BlackBerry is killing the Middle East....

    Quote Originally Posted by narci View Post
    Hasn't BB said the old BBOS will still sell alongside the new BB10?
    Yes they did. But carrier still offer what they want.
  24. axiombh's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    323 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Hi M.Rizk

    I just checked and you are right, the one that we received in the middle east not supporting LTE only HSDPA

    Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
  25. galleon's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    206 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    I agree that we are losing out on something here in the demise of BIS. With our BIS enabled Blackberries I would use my email and messenger freely when I traveled in the US, and even with $10/MB roaming charges there was nothing to worry about. You could even do some browsing and not get killed by your phone bill. I think some people, (including me) are going to learn the hard way with their BB10 phones when they start roaming. I wish they had a feature of some sort to save data (built in, not some silly app that has to run) Not trying to derail the post, but I can sure sympathize with you folks.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looks like Skyfire for Blackberry is around the corner !
    By sooks in forum Storm 3rd Party Apps
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 02:15 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 05:37 PM
  3. getting on-line in the middle east
    By srs in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 12:00 PM
  4. Will it work in the middle east? Israel?
    By milesunc in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 10:14 PM
  5. Will it work in the middle east? Israel?
    By milesunc in forum AT&T
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Posting Permissions