• 3 Post By greatwiseone
  • 2 Post By Thunderbuck
  • 1 Post By Thunderbuck
  • 2 Post By itr themes
  • 1 Post By Flip4Bytes
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Cool BlackBerry keyboard demo- on yahoo home page

Caught this article on yahoo with further insight on how the keyboard works for bb10... Didn't know it can do all that... RIM shows how BlackBerry 10 touch screen keys could rival even its traditional keyboards [video] - Yahoo! News
    CrackBerry Addict

I just noticed that the spacebar morphs. This is epic. I've never seen this technology implemented to this degree and level of detail on any mobile device.
    Multi-ligual and adaptive.

January 30th 2013.
    Purchase these awesome apps for Z10 (BB10-device): Utilities: Mobile Network | Developer ModeBluetooth | Mobile Hotspot | NFC | Learn Essential Japanese Verbs | Ultimate Powerball
    FREE BlackBoard Lite (Free!) Coming SOON!: Mega Millions 10
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I didn't notice any morphing...but that would be cool if it does.
    CrackBerry Genius

A lot of keyboards already have the space inference. What I think will be the prime feature of the BB10 keyboard are the words you can swipe up above the keys, which means I won't have to stare at the middle of the screen to see if the word I need comes up.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    CrackBerry Genius

I use various Android devices on a daily basis (HTC Amaze, HTC One V, Touchpad, Galaxy Tab 10.1), and what I find is that the BB10 keyboard is very sensitive and won't lag mid way through my typing. The Amaze was a flagship device from late last year with Ice Cream Sandwich and no matter which keyboard I download (swype, HTC keyboard, swiftkey, etc.), there is lag when I'm typing really fast on long sentences. I've not had that issue with the BB10 dev alpha...
    Thanked by:
    dentynefire (12-16-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    I use various Android devices on a daily basis (HTC Amaze, HTC One V, Touchpad, Galaxy Tab 10.1), and what I find is that the BB10 keyboard is very sensitive and won't lag mid way through my typing. The Amaze was a flagship device from late last year with Ice Cream Sandwich and no matter which keyboard I download (swype, HTC keyboard, swiftkey, etc.), there is lag when I'm typing really fast on long sentences. I've not had that issue with the BB10 dev alpha...
    That's good to hear, and really shows the value of having a good, solid, native keyboard.

Global Posts
    5,286 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    That's good to hear, and really shows the value of having a good, solid, native keyboard.
    The keyboard as of the Dev Alpha update last week was truly incredible. Good enough to convert at least some physical keyboard users. One feature I liked that hadn't been there before: when you hold down a letter it offers capitalization and other forms of the letter.
    Masahiro and robkd like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    The keyboard as of the Dev Alpha update last week was truly incredible. Good enough to convert at least some physical keyboard users. One feature I liked that hadn't been there before: when you hold down a letter it offers capitalization and other forms of the letter.
    Funny thing is that I just got a Bold 9900 for work, and, man, that physical keyboard on the Bold 9900 is very addictive. I really can't decide between the L series and the N series at this moment...

Global Posts
    5,286 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    Funny thing is that I just got a Bold 9900 for work, and, man, that physical keyboard on the Bold 9900 is very addictive. I really can't decide between the L series and the N series at this moment...
    I use a Bold as my daily driver, and I'm very fond of it. A full-touch phone and a physical keyboard phone are really two different experiences.

I'm not married to either one; I like the bigger display of a full-touch, and I like the accuracy of a physical keyboard. I think I give a slight edge to the physical keyboard format if only because it's easy to do EVERYTHING one-handed and because you never have to turn the device sideways.

All that said, the BB10 virtual keyboard is good enough that many who swear by physical keyboards will find it at least tolerable. It's good enough that it will win Android and iPhone users over to Blackberry just on its own merits.
    CrackBerry Genius

The keyboard as of the Dev Alpha update last week was truly incredible.
    What would you say is the number one feature of the BB10 keyboard compared to other platforms? The speed? The word swiping?

Global Posts
    5,286 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    What would you say is the number one feature of the BB10 keyboard compared to other platforms? The speed? The word swiping?
    A few things. First, yes, the word swiping is very easy to adjust to. Second, there's the other gestures you can use: swipe down from the top of the keyboard and you get your first symbols screen, swipe down again and you get the second symbol screen, swipe down again and you're back to the main keyboard. And swiping in from the right deletes the last word (instead of backspacing for each character).

I think it's going to prove very attractive.
    Thanked by:
    Masahiro (12-17-2012) 
    Masahiro likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts

I hope that it will also detect letters where spaces should be. For example, I don't know how many times I have typed something likebthis, with a b in between words on my pb.
    SangreNegra and darkehawke like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

A few things. First, yes, the word swiping is very easy to adjust to. Second, there's the other gestures you can use: swipe down from the top of the keyboard and you get your first symbols screen, swipe down again and you get the second symbol screen, swipe down again and you're back to the main keyboard. And swiping in from the right deletes the last word (instead of backspacing for each character).

I think it's going to prove very attractive.
    I'm really looking forward to trying this out, I wish RIM made available somehow to fans the chance to purchase the dev alpha devices. Many probably would have forked out some good money for them, I know I certainly would have. Its been painful waiting
    Sent from my Bold 9900.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,247 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by itr themes View Post
    I hope that it will also detect letters where spaces should be. For example, I don't know how many times I have typed something likebthis, with a b in between words on my pb.
    Forgot what video I saw it in, but they did that with the letter "n" instead of "b" and it was like 5 words, all with "n" instead of the spaces, and it did indeed correct it with spaces. Can't wait for this keyboard, I love my 9930 and get SOOOO annoyed when texting on my friend's android when he needs me to.. I always misspell stuff, miss click, etc. etc. its just so bad.. Type so slowwwww!
    Hi, I'm Alex Bass - Website Designer, App Developer & Owner of CyberBytes Inc.
    I made the BFB Certified App Web Design Cheat Sheet using Native Cascades. The App is Free - More Info About WDCS
    ___

Web Design/Development Channel - C000BEB17 | WDCS App Channel - C000BEB17 (Sneak Peeks, Leaks, and More)
    Personal Twitter - @Flip4Bytes | Company Twitter - @CyberBytesInc
    darkehawke likes this.