BlackBerry made a giant leap and closed the gap that separated its product line from other companies, and it looks like the trajectory is still pointing sharply upwards (I want the Z30 so bad!).

Apple today demonstrated a flat line in innovation year over year.

If only BlackBerry had the same marketing and sales strength as its competitors...

Posted via CB10
    devin266, SK122387, Mel25 and 1 others like this.
    09-11-13 01:25 AM
    iPhone 5s was terribly underwhelming... and I still can't understand how they haven't updated their damn keyboard with iOS7... oh and iTunes sucks just as bad as BlackBerry link...

Posted via CB10
    dee. and SK122387 like this.
    09-11-13 01:34 AM
    Lol what? Fingerprint identifying to unlock your phone? I love my blackberry but some of you fan boys are too much. What is so innovative about a z30? A bigger screen? Iphone took over in these years because blackberry failed to be innovative. How many years did it take for blackberry to come out with the z10? I hope your being sarcastic because although apple may have not completely changed the iphone they have still come out with a pretty dope new feature which will attract a lot of people. What is the z30 doing to attract customers? Besides offering a bigger screen.

Posted via CB10
    Suraj Jadhav and litig8or98 like this.
    09-11-13 01:46 AM
    Lol what? Fingerprint identifying to unlock your phone? I love my blackberry but some of you fan boys are too much. What is so innovative about a z30? A bigger screen? Iphone took over in these years because blackberry failed to be innovative. How many years did it take for blackberry to come out with the z10? I hope your being sarcastic because although apple may have not completely changed the iphone they have still come out with a pretty dope new feature which will attract a lot of people. What is the z30 doing to attract customers? Besides offering a bigger screen.

Posted via CB10
    What is it about a bigger screen you don't understand?
    Yoox_II likes this.
    09-11-13 07:32 AM
    BlackBerry has failed to innovate for a long time. Just take a look at the Curve and Bold. Same phone launched year after year until they finally replaced the trackball with a track pad.

If BlackBerry never lost market share to IOS and Android, I bet they would still be rolling out Bolds with only a refreshed chrome bezel around the screen, and BB10 and the Z10 wouldn't even exist. They brought this to market out of sheer desperation. After all, didn't Balsillie say that the public would never have interest in a touch screen phone?

Posted via CB10 on my Black Z10.
    ninobrown likes this.
    09-11-13 07:40 AM
    BlackBerry's innovation curve is practically nonexistent. Since last year apple added some great features. In a year with BB10 we will probably only have 10.2 which isn't huge.

Favorite BB10 apps: CB10, GasBuddy, Word of the Day PLUS, BlackBerry Travel, USA Today
    ninobrown and kbz1960 like this.
    09-11-13 07:59 AM
    While I'm highly critical of Apple for effectively putting out a similar product year after year, I have to admit that iOS 7 and the iPhone 5s are probably the biggest changes to iOS since it's inception, and not just due to the OS. Fingerprint scanning and OS aesthetics aside, the camera received a huge upgrade. The move from a 32-bit to 64-bit OS architecture is one that will be followed by everyone else in the Industry, despite the lack of immediate benefits at the current time. Yes, the phone looks the same, but the OS received a major overhaul at the core level that sets iOS up for the future.

As for BlackBerry, the first iteration of BlackBerry was not about surpassing the competition; it was about matching it. The 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 releases are about brining the OS up to feature parity with Android and iOS. It would not surprise me to see a brand new revision of BlackBerry 10 unveiled either at BlackBerry Jam Asia or at BlackBerry Live next year. That's where I expect to see most of the improvements and new feature additions.

In my completely honest opinion, BlackBerry has been nothing but conservative in its approach to BlackBerry 10 and the Z10. While I love my Z10 and it does some really cool things, there isn't anything my Z10 does that forces the market to change their approach to their own devices. What Apple did with their software is force the industry forward. BlackBerry hasn't done that yet.

Whenever someone mentions the QNX underpinnings of BlackBerry 10 the general response is "it doesn't mean anything." I want it to start meaning something. I want BlackBerry to start taking advantage of the powerful architecture that powers these devices.

When it comes to new features, BlackBerry should be bolder in its approach. It shouldn't be afraid to do something new. I want to see the company do something that hasn't been done before and push its competitors.

BlackBerry hardware is lacking anything unique. I know the current BlackBerry 10 devices are older designs and remnants of the previous CEOs, but starting with the Z30, BlackBerry needs to focus on not only adding unique software advantages, but physical ones as well. Make BlackBerry a distinctive brand that people associate with innovation again, not just a "me too" company.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 08:03 AM
    What is it about a bigger screen you don't understand?
    I would agree that a bigger screen can play into a certain market but only if its got the right reason for the bigger screen.....the Z30 is going to be a commercial failure (obv just an opinion) simply because the leaks so far so no distinct reason for a bigger screen. The note III has a digitizer screen for fine point input, has refined apps that are specialized for the device, exclusive games, etc......while the z30 as of now jus looks like a biger z10....nothing new about the screen, the interface isn't being changed. Again, i hope blackberry pack it chock full of cool features that make the most of the real estate but as of now it doesn't seem to be that way and so there isn't much to understand about the z30...jsut a bigger z10 and if the sales of the z10 is any indicator the OS alone isn't enought to draw in the required market share, which is sad because i really like my z10 and BB10.
    09-11-13 08:03 AM
    While I'm highly critical of Apple for effectively putting out a similar product year after year, I have to admit that iOS 7 and the iPhone 5s are probably the biggest changes to iOS since it's inception, and not just due to the OS. Fingerprint scanning and OS aesthetics aside, the camera received a huge upgrade. The move from a 32-bit to 64-bit OS architecture is one that will be followed by everyone else in the Industry, despite the lack of immediate benefits at the current time. Yes, the phone looks the same, but the OS received a major overhaul at the core level that sets iOS up for the future.

As for BlackBerry, the first iteration of BlackBerry was not about surpassing the competition; it was about matching it. The 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 releases are about brining the OS up to feature parity with Android and iOS. It would not surprise me to see a brand new revision of BlackBerry 10 unveiled either at BlackBerry Jam Asia or at BlackBerry Live next year. That's where I expect to see most of the improvements and new feature additions.

In my completely honest opinion, BlackBerry has been nothing but conservative in its approach to BlackBerry 10 and the Z10. While I love my Z10 and it does some really cool things, there isn't anything my Z10 does that forces the market to change their approach to their own devices. What Apple did with their software is force the industry forward. BlackBerry hasn't done that yet.

Whenever someone mentions the QNX underpinnings of BlackBerry 10 the general response is "it doesn't mean anything." I want it to start meaning something. I want BlackBerry to start taking advantage of the powerful architecture that powers these devices.

When it comes to new features, BlackBerry should be bolder in its approach. It shouldn't be afraid to do something new. I want to see the company do something that hasn't been done before and push its competitors.

BlackBerry hardware is lacking anything unique. I know the current BlackBerry 10 devices are older designs and remnants of the previous CEOs, but starting with the Z30, BlackBerry needs to focus on not only adding unique software advantages, but physical ones as well. Make BlackBerry a distinctive brand that people associate with innovation again, not just a "me too" company.

Posted via CB10
    I have a strange feeling Blackberry thought they could push QNX further but a hitting a road block. Right now we are seeing that simple fact that the OS cannot be optimized for anything less than 2GB of RAM.....the scalability of the OS would mean that unless more RAM can be crammed into their devices (driving costs up) the OS will be limited in features. An example would be the fact that as of yet i havent read ONE good reason as to why only 8 active frames can be running....the playbook could handle way more and even then had background tasks running in real time as opposed to "active" frames which freezes much of the content....i think its just a limitation of the OS....but still early days and i really want Blckbry to develop this OS and I really hope i'm wrong.
    vic1928 likes this.
    09-11-13 08:08 AM
    I wonder how well that finger scanning will work. I've had those on laptops before and it was cool, but it was easier to type in a short password, because sometimes the scanner wouldn't work.

What I've been asking is that they use nfc tags to allow me to unlock and bypass the password. I can use put that tag in my wrist watch or something. Quick tap, the phone is unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 08:17 AM
    I have a strange feeling Blackberry thought they could push QNX further but a hitting a road block. Right now we are seeing that simple fact that the OS cannot be optimized for anything less than 2GB of RAM.....the scalability of the OS would mean that unless more RAM can be crammed into their devices (driving costs up) the OS will be limited in features. An example would be the fact that as of yet i havent read ONE good reason as to why only 8 active frames can be running....the playbook could handle way more and even then had background tasks running in real time as opposed to "active" frames which freezes much of the content....i think its just a limitation of the OS....but still early days and i really want Blckbry to develop this OS and I really hope i'm wrong.
    I wonder about the Active Frames limitation also. I don't think it's a limitation of the OS so much as one placed by BlackBerry to provide optimal performance and experience while heavily taxing the device. The OS could probably handle much more, but BlackBerry didn't want people having their apps crash from having various types of apps (especially games) open. Having 8 games open at the same time without any crashing is pretty amazing. The limit of 8 probably allows anything to run without the risk of anything being force closed.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 08:18 AM
    iPhone 5s was terribly underwhelming... and I still can't understand how they haven't updated their damn keyboard with iOS7... oh and iTunes sucks just as bad as BlackBerry link...

Posted via CB10
    Now you are trolling... ITunes worst that BB link? Hahhahahahahahahaha

I too though the 5s was underwhelming, but it was what I was expecting for an "s" year...
    09-11-13 08:58 AM
    BlackBerry has failed to innovate for a long time. Just take a look at the Curve and Bold. Same phone launched year after year until they finally replaced the trackball with a track pad.

If BlackBerry never lost market share to IOS and Android, I bet they would still be rolling out Bolds with only a refreshed chrome bezel around the screen, and BB10 and the Z10 wouldn't even exist. They brought this to market out of sheer desperation. After all, didn't Balsillie say that the public would never have interest in a touch screen phone?

BB10OS built from scratch vs a pig with lipstick in IOS7

CB10- BlackBerry Z10 - 10.2.0.1047
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    09-11-13 11:09 AM
    I don't get all minor updgrade crap. Every bb has been a minor upgrade until they were forced to change to a new OS. Now so far the 30 is a minor upgrade of the 10. They all do it. What does everyone expect? A 4x better processor, 10x the memory, 10x the space, 10x the screen resolution with 10x screen size?

What is a major upgrade?
    09-11-13 11:19 AM
    I wonder about the Active Frames limitation also. I don't think it's a limitation of the OS so much as one placed by BlackBerry to provide optimal performance and experience while heavily taxing the device. The OS could probably handle much more, but BlackBerry didn't want people having their apps crash from having various types of apps (especially games) open. Having 8 games open at the same time without any crashing is pretty amazing. The limit of 8 probably allows anything to run without the risk of anything being force closed.

Posted via CB10
    That maybe the case but then how come other OSes don't have a similar limitation. I'm not familiar with programming so make no attempt to know anything but the logic of Blckbry just wouldn't make sense. You are advertising the capabilities of a new OS to "keep moving" but then place limitation on it that are so clear (its not like active frames are hidden to auto closing would be so prominent) it kinda takes away from the message....and again, the playbook has better multi-app continuity then BB10 has with 1/2 the hardware specs...for an example see the youtube link @
    09-11-13 11:34 AM
    I don't get all minor updgrade crap. Every bb has been a minor upgrade until they were forced to change to a new OS. Now so far the 30 is a minor upgrade of the 10. They all do it. What does everyone expect? A 4x better processor, 10x the memory, 10x the space, 10x the screen resolution with 10x screen size?

What is a major upgrade?
    Agreed, this isn't 2004 where specs doubled, sometimes even quadrupled each year in the PC Market. The major players are starting to realise that the user experience matters more than the specs race. Point I reiterate constantly "why have all that power when the Battery technology as it stands can't handle it"

That being said, people are "underwhelmed" because all in all, Apples announcements weren't anything "spectacular ", which is what people constantly expect from the company. A lot of the talk at the moment is more to do with Apple "underdelivering", which unfortunately is a perception they probably can't shake. After a while this could potentially hurt them.

Of course you could call the Z30 "Underwhelming" too, as we're not seeing anything too different to the Z10 bar screen size, Miracast and a non-removable battery. I believe the Z30 release will be more low-key.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-11-13 11:35 AM

What is the z30 doing to attract customers? Besides offering a bigger screen.

Posted via CB10
    A battery you can't access/remove? ...
    1000% improved sales and vendor support ... ( of course, for the mathematically inclined: 1000 * 0 is still = 0 )

ummmmmmmm, I think that's it.

Hey, I love my BBs and will probably buy the Z30, if/when it appears given the current "challenges" they are facing, but,

Sorry.... I just couldn't resist
    ninobrown and kbz1960 like this.
    09-11-13 11:40 AM
    We are in. Toy market, and BlackBerry. Does not make toys or associated games.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 11:45 AM
    BB10OS built from scratch vs a pig with lipstick in IOS7

CB10- BlackBerry Z10 - 10.2.0.1047
    So what? IOS was built from scratch. You think BB10 OS is going to change much going forward? BB10 is just a catch up OS to IOS and Android.

BB11 and BB12 will just be alpacas wearing lipstick and thong underwear.

09-11-13 12:28 PM
    We are in. Toy market, and BlackBerry. Does not make toys or associated games.

Posted via CB10
    Personally I think games are one of the strong points on BlackBerry 10. We have quite a lot of good titles.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat and mnc76 like this.
    09-11-13 12:40 PM
    Now you are trolling... ITunes worst that BB link? Hahhahahahahahahaha

I too though the 5s was underwhelming, but it was what I was expecting for an "s" year...
    Just as bad... they are both terrible.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 03:03 PM
    Hey, what BlackBerry did with the BlackBerry 10 is much more than what Apple did with the first iOS.

The device I am holding is so much better from the user experience perspective than anything I have had from all the competitors.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 07:36 PM
    Hey, what BlackBerry did with the BlackBerry 10 is much more than what Apple did with the first iOS.

The device I am holding is so much better from the user experience perspective than anything I have had from all the competitors.

Posted via CB10
    Umm, BB10 wasn't Blackberry's first crack at an OS. The first IOS was Apple's first try at an operating system. And they did well considering the number of customers and apps that exist today.
    09-11-13 08:58 PM
    Umm, BB10 wasn't Blackberry's first crack at an OS. The first IOS was Apple's first try at an operating system. And they did well considering the number of customers and apps that exist today.
    You mean first crack at a smart phone OS... they've built apple computers in the late 70s...

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 09:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    How is it fanboyism for someone to criticize Apple for a perceived lack of innovation? Why are people so quick to throw around that word anytime someone says something minutely in favor of BlackBerry?

That being said, people who are comfortable with Apple will probably stick around, but I can't see their changes (mostly consisting of improved specs) winning them a lot of converts. Apple is no longer the cool kid on the block, and investors have taken notice.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 09:55 PM
31 12