I'm on Orange UK with my Z10. For some reason in the last couple of days I haven't had the little BB icon at the top right when I only have 3G on with no wifi. I can't connect to the net when I'm away from wifi. When I hook up to wifi again the icon returns and I can use data. This wasn't the case a couple of days ago...do you think this is down. To BB's infrastructure, or is it the carrier?
    02-26-13 08:26 AM
    BlackBerry 10 doesn't use BIS.

But that doesn't mean that their infrastructure isn't the issue, but since we haven't yet seen wide spread complains I'm guessing it is an issue with your data service with your carrier.

When hooked up to wifi does BBM work for you?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 08:35 AM
    Hmmm weird....I just did some experiments with choosing network modes. I set my network mode to 3G only. For some reason when setting it to 3G only it'll only connect to 3g (small g, the kind with no blackberry internet), I have to allow 4G in order to get 3G with a big G or HSPA+.
    02-26-13 08:37 AM
    BlackBerry 10 doesn't use BIS.

But that doesn't mean that their infrastructure isn't the issue, but since we haven't yet seen wide spread complains I'm guessing it is an issue with your data service with your carrier.

When hooked up to wifi does BBM work for you?

Posted via CB10
    It still uses the blackberry internet infrastructure though or this kind of thing wouldn't happen.
    02-26-13 08:38 AM
    Actually it's only when allowing 2g+3g+4g or 2g+3g that allows big G and HSPA+. Higher forms of 3G must be done on the old 2g spectrum in the UK maybe?
    02-26-13 09:07 AM
    BlackBerry 10 doesn't use BIS

Posted via CB10
    So it works more like a droid or iOS. We use to love the cheap unlimited (BIS) data plan.

If we can't suscribe BIS, I will have to get stucked on my OS7+. And Zed10 on my playbook later.
    02-26-13 09:19 AM
    There's no BIS "plan", but it clearly still uses the service for internet access and BBM.
    02-26-13 09:29 AM
    BIS is not needed any longer for BBM and data traffic from BB10 devices. Their NOC is still used but your BBM is not transmitted via BIS.

Can you browse the web with wifi off? Can you BBM with wifi on?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 08:47 PM
    No I couldn't browse the web with wifi off, and I could BBM with wifi on. It's sorted now that I've changed from 3G only to 2G+3G.
    02-27-13 04:21 AM
    I know this reply is a little late in the game but since I came to this thread researching something else I figured I would pipe in.

While the difference is subtle, the case of the letters in your connection actually tell you something. lower case letters such as in 4g, 3g, 2g h etc... indicate that there is no data connection to your cell network. It has nothing to do in that case with BlackBerry Infrastructure. Perhaps the problems you were having had to do with limiting the connection options to the network frequencies that the provider does not support?

Full reference to what all those symbols mean can be found here: Wireless connections icons - How To - BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - 10.0.0

If this doesn't help the OP, perhaps it will help someone else.
    07-06-13 11:46 AM
    It's not your phone, it's Orange. It's getting country wide now as they switch on 4g masts that don't work properly and drop the old Orange masts in favour of the T.Mobile ones. Even folks who have never had issues are having them now. I lost my signal last year. Went to another network and have full signal.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 11:51 AM