Just sitting down watching a movie....1 crazy idea sprang into my mind lol

IPhone 5s and Samsung galaxy S5 have fingerprint scanner on their smartphone physical button .

Recently there's some CB readers suggested BlackBerry to make the touch pad on BlackBerry device a scanner too.

But what if BlackBerry can make the whole device display a fingerprint scanner?
    Because we users use most of out time touching the display, then the scanner will pick up our fingerprint by time and get a 100% accuracy on it.

Other than that, using this technology can prevent any other users to operate the phone....when the phone pickup an unknown fingerprint it will shut off the display until the genuine user came back haha

So is this idea possible or can even be achieved in the future?

Posted via my awesome communication device BlackBerry Z10
    Minhaaj Rehman likes this.
    07-21-14 09:18 AM
    Technology is advancing day by day, so I believe it's a possible thing.
    Also, since Apple and Samsung already have something like that in place, BlackBerry can surely develop on that and come out with something fantastic.

BlackBerry z30 OS10.3.0.700
    07-21-14 09:24 AM
    It's a cool idea but I don't believe the technology is available to integrate the finger print scanner into the screen as this point.

Also, it's a pretty unnatural position for someone to press their flat finger against the screen. You normal type with the tips of your fingers. Personally I'd like to see the scanner on the back of the phone, a little higher then the middle, about where my index finger sits when I'm holding the phone.

I am a little disappointed the two announced models don't seem to have one.

Posted via CB10
    Alvin Loh likes this.
    07-21-14 09:24 AM
    Why not integrate it into the top or bottom bezel

Z10
    07-21-14 09:31 AM
    I have a finger print scanner on my laptop, it has never worked once. This whole finger print scanner fad has to go away.

Posted via CB10
    Carmels likes this.
    07-21-14 09:41 AM
    Why not integrate it into the top or bottom bezel

Z10
    Yes!!!! BlackBerry can integrate it into the bottom bezel as our whole finger always swipe up that particular part.....Wow amazing :0

07-21-14 09:42 AM
    If you do some research on Touch ID, you will find that there is some pretty sophisticated technology in the home button including a sapphire crystal surface and a chip that stores the fingerprint hash information and does the comparison.

Making the entire bezel a sensor probably would be very expensive. Also, most people don't naturally start off with their finger on the bottom bezel.

With the number of employees that Blackberry has laid off recently, one has to wonder how much new technology like this they will be able to develop going forward. Even the economies of scale argue against them developing this kind of stuff. Developing this for 10 million devices per year is a lot more expensive per unit than doing it for 200 million.
    07-21-14 09:49 AM
    If you do some research on Touch ID, you will find that there is some pretty sophisticated technology in the home button including a sapphire crystal surface and a chip that stores the fingerprint hash information and does the comparison.

Making the entire bezel a sensor probably would be very expensive. Also, most people don't naturally start off with their finger on the bottom bezel.

With the number of employees that Blackberry has laid off recently, one has to wonder how much new technology like this they will be able to develop going forward. Even the economies of scale argue against them developing this kind of stuff. Developing this for 10 million devices per year is a lot more expensive per unit than doing it for 200 million.
    I understand your point as BlackBerry still need to gain traction in the market .

However, it's a great idea that BlackBerry can achieve in the future .
    I love BlackBerry and apple, both of them are just great in my opinion <3

07-21-14 10:51 AM
    We have our own "Cool" single-swipe access system in Picture Password.

I think the cost of modern smartphones should be invested more in the software side where there can be more significant improvement than by adding unnecessary hardware flair.

Still, in a far-off future it sounds like a good idea.
    07-21-14 11:06 AM
    I have a finger print scanner on my laptop, it has never worked once. This whole finger print scanner fad has to go away.

Posted via CB10
    Yes thank you what happens if I cut my finger. I find it to be just a gimmick

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 12:10 PM
    Yes thank you what happens if I cut my finger. I find it to be just a gimmick
    Put a bandaid on it. Then log into your phone with your access code and, if you want, add another finger to the Touch ID database. You can program several to work. Crackberry Kevin argued that Touch ID was great and is probably one of the reasons he uses iPhone now.
    Genghis2k3 likes this.
    07-21-14 12:17 PM
    While your at it who knows what happens to your fingerprint after submitting it people put to much trust into certain things

Posted via CB10
    der_mit and Boight like this.
    07-21-14 12:20 PM
    If a fingerprint scanner is something extra I have to pay for on a phone - hardware wise.. you can keep it. A software driven picture password with one gesture to get it and it solves all my needs without the additional cost..
    07-21-14 12:28 PM
    Store my fingerprint somewhere out in cyberspace AND have access to all the other things that just having a smartphone provides? NO thanks!
    der_mit and Boight like this.
    07-21-14 12:29 PM
    While your at it who knows what happens to your fingerprint after submitting it people put to much trust into certain things
    Your fingerprint is used to generate a hash which is stored on a custom chip in the button itself. A hash does not contain enough information to generate an actual fingerprint. If the OS wants to establish an identity, it has the chip compare the current hash to the one that was stored by the user using the device passcode. The chip is hard-wired to not be able to give up any identifying info because it never has to.

If a fingerprint scanner is something extra I have to pay for on a phone - hardware wise.. you can keep it. A software driven picture password with one gesture to get it and it solves all my needs without the additional cost..
    Nobody pays extra for it. It comes with the phone.

Store my fingerprint somewhere out in cyberspace AND have access to all the other things that just having a smartphone provides? NO thanks!
    Your fingerprint is not stored anywhere.
    WanShark69 and blackguy07 like this.
    07-21-14 12:34 PM
    It is not secure. The fingerprint must be stored somewhere... Then, there are the bad persons... The thief would not only steal your phone, but he'll get your finger too!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-21-14 12:35 PM
    Novelty.
    Not needed.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 01:04 PM
    I thin I like that better
    07-21-14 01:17 PM
    All apologies to OP as this is off topic a bit -

I was thinking FP scanners on a phone might be a bad idea. Then - gobernmint men dropped into my backyard, stole my aluminum foil, and forcibly took my privacy! Now, I just think store discount cards that store my name, address, phone number age, gender and shopping habits are bad. And on-line buying sites that do the same. And ISPs that store my browsing history and emails. And checking accounts, and credit cards, and cell phone companies that store my call history and GPS information, and cell phones as the gubenmint can turn on my GPS signal at any time and track me, and my home because the gubernmint can 'bug' me for 90 days without a warrant and use infared and laser technology anyway to see and hear into my home without a warrant, and my trash - because anyone can go through it, once I put it on the street. And Crackberry with their use of Cookie based Ads!

Sorry. But seriously folks. You have 2 choices, 1) Accept the fact that anyone, including me, can hire a private investigator and have a full report on you , likely including schools, past addresses, relatives and credit card numbers in a matter of days. And most government agencies that want the information can get a whole lot more in a much shorter time frame (wherever you live - exception may be Netherlands) and then move on with your life and enjoy whatever handset you want. 2) Move away from the civilized world and purchase a 256 bit encrypted Sat phone or disposable and live in fear.

The illusion of privacy should have long since been dispelled by any rational person. You have none. Move on.
    07-21-14 01:45 PM
    http://news.yahoo.com/researcher-fin...--finance.html

No comment

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-21-14 01:52 PM
    I feel like fingerprints are something that can easily be lifted and used to unlock the devices. Seems to me that it would be more of a security issue than help. People have already proven that with Apple and Samsung scanners.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 01:56 PM
    No thank you.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 03:13 PM
    All apologies to OP as this is off topic a bit -

I was thinking FP scanners on a phone might be a bad idea. Then - gobernmint men dropped into my backyard, stole my aluminum foil, and forcibly took my privacy! Now, I just think store discount cards that store my name, address, phone number age, gender and shopping habits are bad. And on-line buying sites that do the same. And ISPs that store my browsing history and emails. And checking accounts, and credit cards, and cell phone companies that store my call history and GPS information, and cell phones as the gubenmint can turn on my GPS signal at any time and track me, and my home because the gubernmint can 'bug' me for 90 days without a warrant and use infared and laser technology anyway to see and hear into my home without a warrant, and my trash - because anyone can go through it, once I put it on the street. And Crackberry with their use of Cookie based Ads!

Sorry. But seriously folks. You have 2 choices, 1) Accept the fact that anyone, including me, can hire a private investigator and have a full report on you , likely including schools, past addresses, relatives and credit card numbers in a matter of days. And most government agencies that want the information can get a whole lot more in a much shorter time frame (wherever you live - exception may be Netherlands) and then move on with your life and enjoy whatever handset you want. 2) Move away from the civilized world and purchase a 256 bit encrypted Sat phone or disposable and live in fear.

The illusion of privacy should have long since been dispelled by any rational person. You have none. Move on.
    Yeah.....our world is being connected more than ever!!!

I was involved in the 'take our privacy back 'campaign recently and the result is quite shocking as many people are complaining about privacy issue

I think we need to go back the old days now

For example : old days phone is large
    The modern 2010 phone are all slim and light
    Then 2014 we have phablet that look like the old days phones, so aren't we getting back to the past? Lol

Let's just have normal social and photography apps installed on phones like a Nokia 3310 but with bigger screen then everything will definitely be ok

What future is waiting for us.....

07-22-14 10:18 AM
    I feel like fingerprints are something that can easily be lifted and used to unlock the devices. Seems to me that it would be more of a security issue than help. People have already proven that with Apple and Samsung scanners.

Posted via CB10
    Of course there will be problem at 1st....then everything will be solved and the security standard will surely be global class standard

07-22-14 10:20 AM
    We have our own "Cool" single-swipe access system in Picture Password.

I think the cost of modern smartphones should be invested more in the software side where there can be more significant improvement than by adding unnecessary hardware flair.

Still, in a far-off future it sounds like a good idea.
    Can't agree more bro......BlackBerry software is just special and time-saving than any other os, can't wait for the new bb os 10.3 android runtime!!!

07-22-14 10:21 AM
43 12