To say I'm not worried would be quite an understatement. I mean it's the thing were looking at all the time. Hopefully, just hopefully the one I will pick up this week will have a bright crisp screen or at least we will know which specific serial numbers use which screen.

Kevin, please do keep us updated, thanks!
    02-05-13 01:55 PM
    The ambient light sensor is the problem. It should be an easy fix by either disabling it for now and/or offering some sort of software switch to turn it on and off.
    Again: The issue is the AMBIENT LIGHT SENSOR and it really sucks.
    02-05-13 02:29 PM
    The display reveals a fantastic and bright capability when infused with light, then dims every time it is taken from that source, which would indicate a software communication with a sensor (front cam?). If what you say is true, then I my request a replacement Z10 through O2.
    The moment I hold my Z10 under a bright light source, the display brightness, despite the fact that it is already at max in the settings, cranks up substantially to almost double the brightness. I am pretty sure the ambient light sensor is to blame and it should be an easy software fix but if people are speculating about faulty displays, a fix could take forever. So PLEASE Blackberry, if you read this: Disable that crappy ambient light sensor or at least give us a software option in the brightness settings to do that ourselves. For me, the Z10 is quite useless right now because I am farsighted and with the brightness that dull (unless I hold the Z10 under a strong light source), I can barely read the screen content without glasses. This really sucks!!!
    02-05-13 02:53 PM
    got a black simfree unit from carphone warehouse today. comparing next to my n4, i found the display dissaponting. quite washed out and the whites a yellowish tinge to them. I also had to set the z10 brightness at about 60% before I could comfortably read things. on the n4 I have the brightness set to about 30%.

maybe I'm spoilt with n4 but the sub par display on the z10 means I'll be returning the unit tomorrow for a refund.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    02-05-13 02:55 PM
    got a black simfree unit from carphone warehouse today. comparing next to my n4, i found the display dissaponting. quite washed out and the whites a yellowish tinge to them. I also had to set the z10 brightness at about 60% before I could comfortably read things. on the n4 I have the brightness set to about 30%.

maybe I'm spoilt with n4 but the sub par display on the z10 means I'll be returning the unit tomorrow for a refund.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Have you tried to put the display brightness to max and hold the Z10 under a strong light source? You'll be surprised.
    02-05-13 03:06 PM
    I Don't find that my whites become yellow at all in the dark hmmmm
    02-05-13 03:08 PM
    Its called mass production. You can't control giant factories and make sure EVERY phone is 100%; apple has had this in the the screen light leaks. It happens to everybody. When they narrow down the failure, they tweak the production lines and then it is gone. Testing in small batches can't fine this.
    OK Not sure what failure rate is acceptable but two out of six is a problem. BB has not built up the same level of marketplace goodwill that Apple has. Something tells me that you would not be so patient if you had these problems right out of the box. I will wait until Kevin says the problem has been fixed before considering a purchase .
    02-05-13 03:55 PM
    I kind of get the feeling that there is some sort of misunderstanding between display color temperature and brightness?
    It is possible that some displays have a warmer (yellowish) color temperature than others, especially if BB uses more than one display manufacturer but I couldn't care less if the display color temperature is warm or cold. I care about display brightness and that stupid ambient light sensor surely doesn't have anything to do with display color temperature.
    Did I miss something here?
    02-05-13 04:28 PM
    The ambient light sensor is the problem. It should be an easy fix by either disabling it for now and/or offering some sort of software switch to turn it on and off.
    Again: The issue is the AMBIENT LIGHT SENSOR and it really sucks.
    Ya your right I have my z10 and dev alpha here. The dev alpha super super bright the z10 not so much. Right when I put it right under a light bulb it becomes just as bright as the dev alpha. The only difference after even doing that is that the z10 has a yellowish look to it even when brighter. I hope they put out a patch and fast or the pundits will be all over this !!!I hope it can be fixed with a software patch though. After using the phone for 30 minutes you cant return your phones thats pretty standard. Then its warranty only for hardware things!!!!
    02-05-13 05:33 PM
    My ****s alright I dont see any yellow i got good stock.
    02-05-13 06:33 PM
    My ****s alright I dont see any yellow i got good stock.
    Do not see yellow at all & my screen is pure white!
    02-05-13 06:35 PM
    Edit : I found the setting to turn the auto backlight on and off on both my playbook and Z10.. Originally I couldn't find it. Solves the sensor issue
    Last edited by Bdot-1; 02-05-13 at 10:57 PM.
    02-05-13 07:17 PM
    I kind of get the feeling that there is some sort of misunderstanding between display color temperature and brightness?
    It is possible that some displays have a warmer (yellowish) color temperature than others, especially if BB uses more than one display manufacturer but I couldn't care less if the display color temperature is warm or cold. I care about display brightness and that stupid ambient light sensor surely doesn't have anything to do with display color temperature.
    Did I miss something here?
    I think users are discussing both here, color temperature + brightness. Screens on almost every single device will differ. Some will have the crisp white color and others will have a yellowish tint to it. Luckily, my PlayBook's screen has the crisp bright white and my mom's PlayBook has a screen with a yellowish tint to it. Hopefully I will get lucky again and get a crisp white screen version because I think it's way better. I'm just hoping the CB team get's some info about which screens were used in which serial number series.
    02-06-13 03:42 AM
    my yellow-ish tinge screen was a mexico 6 unit. previously had a 9900 made in hungary which had the crisp white screen you descibe above. i'm returning my mexico 6 unit to cpw later today. i'll wait until other online retailers get up to speed with fresh stock then order again until i get a crisp white screen i'm happy with
    02-06-13 03:59 AM
    Edit : I found the setting to turn the auto backlight on and off on both my playbook and Z10.. Originally I couldn't find it. Solves the sensor issue
    Can anyone else confirm this?
    02-06-13 04:09 AM
    all i could see was the min-max slider.
    02-06-13 04:20 AM
    Edit : I found the setting to turn the auto backlight on and off on both my playbook and Z10
    where exactly in the settings is it?
    02-06-13 04:21 AM
    I tested mine against the playbook last night with the same video clip. The playbook was far brighter BUT the colours were more washed out (brightness at about 60%). If I ramped the z10 up to full brightness it's watchable both in light and dark conditions but Ideally I would tweak it up a further 10-20% if it would go higher. The colours look warmer (Better in my opinion) on the z10 and I can't say I really notice any yellowish tinge BUT the brightness is definitely lacking. I noticed the autobacklight dimmer on the playbook last night (can't find one on the z10) and mine was set to on and for me it was fine. If you switch it off, it highlights even more the lack of brightness on the Z10. I'm pretty sure mine is a mexico unit too. I've loaded the clip on to the onboard storage and an SD card and I'll see if I can do a parallel demo at my nearest orange store if I get a chance today. At max brightness, I can get by but I'm a bit concerned what it'll do to my battery life after approx 90 mins of video per day during my commute. At 60% with almost no video usage my battery is lasting close to about 20 hours or so with wifi on, bluetooth off, location services on, NFC off on 3g.
    02-06-13 05:14 AM
    Interesting thread. I've been ALL OVER THIS.

We now have six Z10's here. My review unit (that was in the CrackBerry review), definitely had a not bright enough, slightly yellowish display which I mentioned in the review. As we got more Z10s during the Launch Events, we've been comparing them. Out of our six, two have very bright displays, two are a little darker but still ok (good color temperature), and too are definitely not as bright as the rest, and a little more yellow.

We put them side by side, tested in low light, bright light, etc., and I didn't see a difference based on that. So I don't think it's the dimmer as suggested by miko2097.

I've alerted BlackBerry to all our findings so far... I agree, if there is any issue, I really hope it's resolved ASAP. It could be that some of the units that were given out for the Launch event/reviews are older production models already, while the better ones are the new ones as they've ramped up for production and hopefully we'll be all good going forward. But definitely agree this needs to be fixed 100% and be in good shape for consumers asap.

Will keep everybody post if I find out more.

Oh no this is happening again. One of my biggest concern about BB10 hardware. Seems that history with PB is repeating again. I got 4 different PB side by side and each device has different screen performance (color, brightness, temperature, even viewing angles) which leads me to simple question - what kind of quality control/assurance is BB doing ? Or even worse, no QA/QC at all ?
    02-06-13 05:31 AM
    I'm hoping more people will post their screens using Shao's app so we can see if his theory is correct...
    02-06-13 11:29 AM
    Can anyone else confirm this?
    02-06-13 12:48 PM
    Must not be much of an issue if the relative lack of attention to this thread is any indication.
    02-06-13 06:32 PM
    Must not be much of an issue if the relative lack of attention to this thread is any indication.
    Truth is, you probably won't be able to notice that big of a difference unless you compare it side by side to another device. In Kevin's case, they have 6 so they obviously see a massive difference between them. I for one am relieved that he's looking into this "issue" and hopefully he gets us some info sooner rather than later. I would be really pissed if I find out my screen is a dimmer/more yellow one.
    02-07-13 12:33 AM
    Ran my video clip in parallel with my Torch 9800. Not really any kind of scientific test but more for my satisfaction to test the video experience is at least as good as what I was coming from. The torch was indeed brighter but what was interesting is that I had that set to 100% too so obviously at some point was not happy about the brightness output on that either. At 100% the Torch was fine though. I need to find some time to do the test against another Z10 instore. I'll also post my results using the app that determines the screen type.
    02-07-13 09:53 AM
    The ambient sensor is basically what I speak of in my original post. Should they enable you to disable the feature, then even the warm phone displays would see a huge improvement. However, the z10 is very expensive and to play lucky dip is ridiculous. Blackberry MUST address this and quickly if they have any chance. If the eyes of a casually interested Android or Iphone user gives the Z10 a glance and it proves to be one've the less impressive DIM display models, then those eyes will never look again.

My replacement has not yet arrived. I shouldn't have to feel dread, Blackberry. .

May you other users have luck. It is a beautiful phone.
    02-07-13 08:48 PM
131 1234 ...