Hello,

My name is John and I have been a loyal and addicted user of blackberry for about 6 years. The Corporation I work for uses a Blackberry Enterprise Server which allows me to receive emails from work and use our sametime comunicator chat function on our phones and of course syncs our work calenders to our phone. I have like so many other blackberry fans in the US, been waiting for what seems like forever for a new phone. Finally it is here but it is not really here as we in the U.S. have to wait until March before we can get our hands on them.

Anyway setting that all aside my company like I am sure most will be slow to adopt the new blackberry 10 phone and the support of the Enterprise version of blackberry 10. My question is; if I buy an unlocked version of a Z10 or even if I wait until my carrier (AT&T) sells them, What capabilties will I loose on my phone if my company has not yet fully adopted blackberry 10? Will I still be able to get my email? Will my enterprise chat function still work? Will Calender still work?

I only ask one thing from your responses, please keep it simple I am not technical guru when It comes to phones.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions!
    02-06-13 12:06 PM
    Hello John,

At present you will need to have the Enterprise 10 server installed to support BB10 devices, BES 5x does not support the new devices. A future version will support all I believe, but that is not here yet.

I assume that the enterprise applications you refer to are deployed to you via an application policy, so you won't get them.

If your company also offers a method of accessing Exchange via ActiveSync outside the company network then you may be able to connect, but you would need to speak with your messaging administrators to find out the detail.

Since you would need fusion / balance installed, it is unlikely you will be able to access your enterprise messaging system unless they allow you to connect the device to your corporate network WIFI, then you may be able to install the BB10 version and access it from within the network since you would not have access to route via the (previously know MDS) into your corporate network outside the company.

Another possible option would be creating a VPN from your device into your network, again if they have a service that allows that.

I guess depending on the company you work for, you may find that none of these options are possible to you yet, although maybe a little pressure to pilot Enterprise 10 to the IT admins would especially if they have not seen the device.

From a corporate point of view some will have moved away, but the fact you still have it then you may find that they are already looking at it, because the new solution has a lot of potential for the adoption and centralise support for MDM.

Good luck
    02-06-13 01:36 PM