QNX is a microkernal based OS which is nothing like Linux or Unix for that matter.
    EXACTLY
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-12-13 10:59 PM
    Despite the old OS 7 shortcomings, I love my blackberry experience and is very excited to switch to Blackberry 10 for even higher leap in blackberry experience.

So this guy, being a summa cumlaude (twice) PhD graduate from RWTH Aachen in mobile communication keep on bashing the technical side that are quite alien to me, Hahahaha. What can I say, I am just a regular BB loving guy.

Here's some that I quoted:
    Blackberry doesn't offer any innovation. The design is so iPhone wannabe, the OS is Linux-based. The BBM is a joke compared with Path or Line. They use mass market SoC, the Snapdragon, unlike Apple who has invented A6X and Samsung Exynos. Both SoC are house made. That is what we, technologist, call INNOVATION, PIONEER. Shame on Blackberry. What do they invent? Oh yeah qwerty keyboard.
    Google is the first company that introduced gesture technology through Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich last year. BB is a copy cat in all aspects. The companies or technologies they use in marketing is either snow from yesterday or some candies made by IT companies in rural Bangalore whose the majority of the employees are part time students in some IT universities. Blackberry Balance feature was introduced by Nokia through their N SERIES. The series was introduced when I was working on my PhD thesis and it was 12 years ago. They just invent new wrappings for some old **** made by other companies back then. Sorry, QNX is Linux based. Let me simply your 'teaching' about QNX. Unix and Posix 5 clones like Linux is modular OS with two distinct separation of operation space, the kernel and user space. This technique enables complete separation of user and system access. Thus user activities including virus cannot attact kernel space which is responsible of system operation. QNX is the loser posix 5 variant which competed against Linux to get into PC platform back then 20 years ago. A loser hardware company and a loser OS make a good combination.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE, as posted on thread #93 (on page 4):

Guys, thanks a lot for all the ammunition. Good knowledge, too!!!

I also agree that it's not wise to continuing the debate with my friend. Haters definitely gonna hate. No matter how much facts we offered, they always seems blind to them and only cherry-pick those which serve their original opinion.

But to let him rants freely on my fb comments section without showing him some of his misconceptions seems a bit damaging to BB Z10. And I do want my other contacts at least to respect this amazing phones and perhaps buy it.

At last, after telling him QNX is unix-like not Linux-based. That Android consists of a kernel based on Linux kernel version 2.6 and, from Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich onwards, version 3.x; he finally let it rest. This is his last comment:

I kinda like it that he put smileys so different from the earlier condescending hateful comments on BB10. So I just thank him for his inputs and comments and that should be all.

Case close.
    Thank you, Crackberry peeps!
    Users don't give a $h17 about these "cut the hair in 4" debates.
    Who invented what ? What's inovation ? Who's first, Chicken or Egg ?
    Masturbating.
    Next.

(But thank you OP for the shield !!!)
    wyrdfool and currentodysseys like this.
    03-13-13 04:42 AM
    Unfortunately, higher educated people tend to get cocky and tend to think themselves correct all the time. I am a graduate student and see it all the time in my University. However that is part of being human, you also see it in individuals who don't have a lot of education. However, any true open minded individual, let alone true scientist, is able to accept new things only if it is backed up by evidence. You also accept that there are usually different ways of accomplishing the same task and you don't look down on someone because they do things differently than you. Or are different than you. You also don't look down on someone for knowing less than you and you certainly don't put them down for it or their choices. There are varying degrees of rightness. Humans are imperfect.

Just enjoy your Z10, show it off, have fun and don't be like that guy/gal
    Funny....I've been thinking the same thing lately regarding academia. There is sometimes a bizarre blind arrogance (though as you say, it can be found in all circles)....that extends well beyond the fields (often narrow) in which people have specialized. As a result...they go around spouting off bad arguments, and displaying....sometimes worse than undergrad level reasoning....about fields they clearly are not proficient in! Especially in the areas of philosophy, theology, and epistemology (or at least that is where I notice it). Sometimes it seems as if the scientists of old were much better versed in all of these fields (based only on some of their writings....yes, about as biased a sample as you can get) than the ones today.
    wyrdfool and jdhooghe like this.
    03-13-13 04:51 AM
    I have read several threads for z10 issues. Kind of affecting my decision on getting one
    03-13-13 07:22 AM
    To the OP.

Tell your friend that my dog being able to lick his b***s without getting an ******** is more impressive than his credentials...
    03-13-13 08:53 AM
    Your "friend" got is education in Computer Science where? Android is based on the Linux kernel which is a UI for UNIX which is completely command based and very efficient developed by Linus Torvalds.
    Eek. Linux isn't a UI for UNIX. Linux is a UNIX like Operating System, and it has nothing to do with the UI.
    eninrebmun likes this.
    03-13-13 09:22 AM
    And So that's why Nokia Siemens called Flexy BTS is too fragile, even for facing unusual Alternating Current. And My teams need to go back to the site just to reset the MCB. Because the carrier person cannot remotely restart the BTS.
    Sorry, you had first-hand bad experience on his level of incompetence.
    Good to see fellow Indonesian here.
    03-13-13 09:44 AM
    My Z10 arriving on 16th March. SO excited.
    Anyway, we're in different cities.
    Mine on the 21st. Daaamn, I can't wait a second any more.....
    03-13-13 10:41 AM
    I have read several threads for z10 issues. Kind of affecting my decision on getting one
    You have to remember that most people only post if they have a problem. I love my phone. Sure there are a couple little things I'd like improved, but they are really quite minor. The pros are huge and the cons are few.

Posted via CB10
    PH_BB likes this.
    03-13-13 10:56 AM
    Since when Unix can run on non-unix processor like Qualcomm's
    Wow.

I only have my Software Engineering degree, but the last time I checked there was no such thing as a "Unix Processor."

I shudder at the thought of what this guy does for a real job.
    torpesco and wyrdfool like this.
    03-13-13 11:32 AM
    This guy has no idea what he is talking about. None.

First off - POSIX does not mean Linux based. From the Wiki:

POSIX (pron.: /ˈpɒzɪks/ poz-iks), an acronym for "Portable Operating System Interface", is a family of standards specified by the IEEE for maintaining compatibility between operating systems. POSIX defines the application programming interface (API), along with command line shells and utility interfaces, for software compatibility with variants of Unix and other operating systems.[1][2]

Second, QNX is a Microkernel, Linux a monolithic kernel.

Third, QNX is certainly unique and to claim otherwise is utterly ignorant.

Fourth, OSX and iOS are based heavily on BSD using Darwin. Again:
    Darwin (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Darwin is an open source POSIX-compliant computer operating system released by Apple Inc. in 2000. It is composed of code developed by Apple, as well as code derived from NeXTSTEP, BSD, and other free software projects.
    Darwin forms the core set of components upon which Mac OS X and iOS are based. It is compatible with the Single UNIX Specification version 3 (SUSv3) and POSIX UNIX applications and utilities.[2][3][4]

Looks pretty Unixy to me!

Listen, this...guy...whoever he is seems to be a total Apple fanboy that is utterly blinded to the point where he is getting absolutely basic information wrong. You can be well learned in one field and completely ignorant in another. I don't know any programming whatsoever, but I know operating systems and the mobile field well.

Not to mention, to bash someone for using an outside SOC like the Snapdragon S4 - arguably the best on the market besides Apple's A6 - is utterly ridiculous. Why not bash Apple for using off the shelf Intel stuff?

Last, the A6X he is so happy about is in the 4th Generation iPad only and no phones.

What a joke.

****EDIT****
    Oh! And as for this gem:

"Google is the first company that introduced gesture technology through Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich last year."

Someone might want to ask Palm about that. WebOS, arguably the most gesture based UI to date, was launched January 2009

And for the record, it was far from the first Gesture interface though it did bring gesture interfaces to an entire new level on mobile devices

Your "friend" needs to get a clue or quiet down
    Last edited by thawkth; 03-13-13 at 01:00 PM. Reason: More information
    wyrdfool likes this.
    03-13-13 12:56 PM

At last, after telling him QNX is unix-like not Linux-based. That Android consists of a kernel based on Linux kernel version 2.6 and, from Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich onwards, version 3.x; he finally let it rest. This is his last comment:

"You are funny. Since when Unix can run on non-unix processor like Qualcomm's. Let's stop this Bro, dont teach me subject where I got my summa *** laude (computer science). I dont want to go back to Operating System 101. I even developed a new OS called RT Linux which is now used in all Nokia Siemens Flexi BTS which can run GSM, 3G and LTE at the same time. My PhD thesis is about embedded system. Go figure what it means"
    Wow, you friend's entire comment is just one block of wrong, wyrdfool - he really really should go back to Operating Systems 101. Or at least google something. Or pick his bull**it better. He developed RT Linux? Pah!

I weep for higher learning if he is genuinely a PhD.
    wyrdfool likes this.
    03-13-13 01:16 PM
    Go to any Android, Windows Phone or iOS forums and you will have the same problem
    PH_BB likes this.
    03-13-13 02:00 PM
    I'm not sure I buy the RTLinux thing either...

It was developed by Victor Yodaiken, Michael Barabanov, Cort Dougan and others at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology and then as a commercial product at FSMLabs. Wind River Systems acquired FSMLabs embedded technology in February 2007 and made a version available as Wind River Real-Time Core for Wind River Linux. As of August 2011, Wind River has discontinued the Wind River Real-Time Core product line, effectively ending commercial support for the RTLinux product. - RTLinux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then again, maybe he was part of it. Doesn't matter though - being an expert in a single narrow field does not make you an expert in other fields
    wyrdfool likes this.
    03-13-13 02:10 PM
    Your "friends" last comment was... something else. Clearly the type of person who doesn't take defeat well. Probably because he is full of himself and can't comprehend that there are things he has no clue about. What kind of fool boosts himself up to prove he is right when he has been just proven wrong? Can't even bother to research it because he's right because he just is.

My last comment to him:

"So happy you think I'm funny. Really, I'm not THAT funny. Ok maybe a lil. But, enough about me. It's all about you. Because you, sir, are HILARIOUS. No really. Your recent "opinions" have got me in stitches. Tears in my eye and all... Ok anyway... Buhbye now."
    wyrdfool likes this.
    03-13-13 03:16 PM
    The op's friend is not educated but rather a degree "Holder".

It is obvious (even not being subject specific connoisseur) to anyone who has ever learned how to think and structure an argument, that this person is un capable of comprehension or innovative thinking. Full stop. And then there are those who really bust their #$$ to offer something and learn through a dedicated 4+ years study on a PhD and have to suffer because of people like the OP's Friend... just plain saad.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 08:19 AM
    And webos before that and... Don't be fooled by a couple pieces of paper, this person sounds pretty ignorant. I say he's just another Apple fanboy.
    03-15-13 10:43 PM
142 ... 456